Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Micra in the snow & ice -- how does it drive / handle?

Thanks
    An older model Acura. He already had his bumper replaced...

Thanks
    I drive my Micra in the ice and snow everyday and it handles very well. I use winter tread tires and I haven't been let down yet (not been stuck yet). I travel up and down 1100 M in altitude every day and the traction control system kicks in once in a while, but that is about it. It's super nice to have a manual transmission for the trip down the mountain! I've never had it in an environment where it's been below -9 C so I can't speak for how it handles cold weather.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra sv manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 40.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.4 km/L ... 34.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well here in Quebec the stability control kiks in about 100 times per day. The roads are just that bad, but with this system the car keep going straight no matter what. It's very good, especially with good snow tires. It's been -25 here lately and and we have black ice everywhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    so when yu guys mention the stability system, is that what's happening mwhen my car's brake 'pushes in' by itself (ever so slightly)? im not talking about snow, just normal driving in normal conditions (esp at very low speeds, i notice it slightly 'auto brakes' by itself, just a tiny bit. yes, i can feel the brake pedal slightly pushing in)

Thanks
    I did not notice the break pedal doing anything because when I drive I have my foot on the gas pedal, but it is easy to see when the stability kiks in because the light lit up in the dash. Also there is some sound like when the ABS kicks in. The most noticable is that the car starts to slip and I can feel the wheels slipping, but instead of going side way, it just keep straight even if the wheels don't have any adherance. It is amazing. The streets in my area are so sliperry that I could put on skates and do ice skating for a good kilometer around my house. And with the black ice on the haway and in curves, it is comforting thing to have. It's not 100% fail safe, but it's good.

Since you seem to have your foot on the breaks, maybe you are talking about the APS when breaking and slipping? that definitely jerk the break pedal and make it sort of shake a little.

Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    so when yu guys mention the stability system, is that what's happening mwhen my car's brake 'pushes in' by itself (ever so slightly)? im not talking about snow, just normal driving in normal conditions (esp at very low speeds, i notice it slightly 'auto brakes' by itself, just a tiny bit. yes, i can feel the brake pedal slightly pushing in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    I did not notice the break pedal doing anything because when I drive I have my foot on the gas pedal, but it is easy to see when the stability kiks in because the light lit up in the dash. Also there is some sound like when the ABS kicks in. The most noticable is that the car starts to slip and I can feel the wheels slipping, but instead of going side way, it just keep straight even if the wheels don't have any adherance. It is amazing. The streets in my area are so sliperry that I could put on skates and do ice skating for a good kilometer around my house. And with the black ice on the haway and in curves, it is comforting thing to have. It's not 100% fail safe, but it's good.

Since you seem to have your foot on the breaks, maybe you are talking about the APS when breaking and slipping? that definitely jerk the break pedal and make it sort of shake a little.
    to clarify, it's when the car is coasting and i have my foot on the brake, but not pressing it. that's when i feel the pedal auto-apply itself ever so slightly.

and there's no sound, no jerking (except the obvious slight braking, which is almost imperceptible.). i was wondering if this is related to ESC or something.

Thanks
    It could be. I never had this happening to me, but the stability control seem to be very complex and control the car when ever it is needed. It is usually more obvious to notice it while you are accelarating or breaking because that's when the car would probably need it the most, but if it's on neutral and there is the need for stability to kick in, I am sure it will do.

I never have my foot on the break pedal unless I break, so not sure. I am guessing that in order for the stability to kick in, there must be a situation where the car slip or is out of control, not just coasting in a straight line on a clear road.

Thanks
    Is it just me, but if I start the car and put the fan at max, then go out to remove the snow, the seat are covered in white shredded snow inside. It looks like the vent trap on the passenger side in the wiper pit, sucks the air inside. Since we don't have any cabin filter it goes straight in the damn climate control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lbarouf View Post
    Is it just me, but if I start the car and put the fan at max, then go out to remove the snow, the seat are covered in white shredded snow inside. It looks like the vent trap on the passenger side in the wiper pit, sucks the air inside. Since we don't have any cabin filter it goes straight in the damn climate control.
    oh no

wouldnt that harm the car's ventilation system?

Thanks
    Or something else. Melted snow in the back, does not sound good.
    So noone else has this?

Im thinking of getting a fine plastic mesh behind the grill and add the darn cabin air filter we never got.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...