Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: disconnect air conditioning switch from defroster setting

Thanks
    This is being done today on mine! I know if I need to turn on my AC to dry the glass...no need for idiot functions...

Thanks
    Thanks a million Mini Me for this idea! I was also pretty annoyed by this automatic A/C function in defog mode. It took me 5 minutes to remove the upper and lower panels and disconnect the quick connector. For those interested in this mod, it is important to remove the lower plastic front panel too. Don't forget to remove the air recycling button before just by pulling on it. It is not that difficult to remove the plastic panels, but it's better to use a slim plastic trim tool to avoid any damages to the plastic parts. Oh and make sure you tape or you stuck those loose wires somewhere behind other wires or trim pieces to avoid any clicking sounds while driving!

Voilà! I got full control of my A/C now!
    Last edited by Papapoil; 10-09-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just did this now in 10 min or less.
    Thank you for the great fix.

I hated the ac coming on by itself.
    No more...

Thanks
    Great mod. I Can't wait to do that this weekend! It has been driving me nuts..

I wish there was a way to swap it out for winter driving. i.e. have heated mirrors/defroster come on automatically on the same heat settings as opposed to AC. That makes a lot more sense to me. The other option would be to do this mod and unclip the harness and then figure out a way to create a toggled defroster button that stays toggled between turning your car on and off. My old VW had that and it was a feature I really appreciated.