Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: disconnect air conditioning switch from defroster setting

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

DIY: disconnect air conditioning switch from defroster setting

Name:  micra-ac-defrost-diy.jpg
Views: 7731
Size:  59.4 KB

[ADMIN note -- this DIY guide was originally posted in this thread: AC vs. MPG: impact of air conditioning on fuel economy tested
    )

---

First post to share some A/C experience with you folks.

For the Nissan I've owned, Nissan Sentra SeR SpecV 2002, Nissan Versa 2008 and my current Nissan Cube 2009, they all show the auto AC at ''ON'' when selecting the windshield or windshield/feet.

You can turn it ''off'' while pressing the AC button, but, the compressor is still running down there if you leave the selector at either feet or windshield/feet.

So in the end, the engine still required fuel to feed that ''need'' of AC even if you didn't ask for it.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-17-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: (added image & link to other thread)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d3stro For This Useful Post:

NotASportsCar (01-31-2019),Papapoil (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    I have read about this before. If it were my car, I think I would wire up an additional switch to over-ride the compressor when desired.

I understand that the de-humidifying feature is the main reason to run the compressor when defrost is selected.

But the majority of my cars have not had A/C, and they defrost just fine by directing air flow and heat (if needed). Living on the coasts where it's damp and rainy, maybe you would appreciate the de-humidifying effect more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    There is a way to disable this. I've did it on my cube and my sentra. There is only one wire to cut which act like a ''switch'' if I can say to activate that auto AC. I'll try to find the FSM for the K13 Micra and see if wires from my cube are the same. The manual heater selector is the same nearly the same as the Micra, so it might be possible.

Here's the how-to I've made for my cube:

http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/...1-8s-cube.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d3stro View Post
    There is a way to disable this. I've did it on my cube and my sentra. There is only one wire to cut which act like a ''switch'' if I can say to activate that auto AC. I'll try to find the FSM for the K13 Micra and see if wires from my cube are the same. The manual heater selector is the same nearly the same as the Micra, so it might be possible.

Here's the how-to I've made for my cube:

http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/...1-8s-cube.html
    I just did this today. I kept forgetting to turn the dang thing off every time I started the car. I pretty much always leave my selector in the windshield / feet mode. I commute far to work, so if I forget the whole way there goes 6% gas as per this thread.

See attached pics. The hardest part is getting the face plate off. I used a cat claw bar at the bottom which worked good. There is a connector that connects to the settings dial on the front that must actuate when feet or window defrost are connected and loops back to the AC button. Just unclip the wire and put everything back.

The AC still functions by pushing the button after.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mini_Me For This Useful Post:

19Howie73 (11-22-2015),GreatWhite (05-20-2019),LilGeckos (10-05-2016),NotASportsCar (01-31-2019),Papapoil (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Excellent info - thanks to both of you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That is great info, thanks!

Thanks
    Well, if I put 25$ in my car per week, and it would cost me 26.50$ instead to run the AC and be comfortable, I would use the AC for sure. Not enough difference to be a big deal, even if I care about fuel economy. But if the thing keep turning ON when all you want is heat, then it's very anoying. 6% more is anoying when we don't need the AC and forget to turn it off.

But I am not so bold as to cut a wire and risk voiding my warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    No need to cut any wire - just disconnect the plug by the looks of it.

Thanks
    Good to know but you still need to remove the front pannel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    An option is to turn the fan off before leaving that way a/c doesn't automatically come on when car starts. But I'll probably always forget and just pull the wire anyway. I have to open her up again to program the steering wheel interface so I'll take a look at the same time for the a/c button.