Thread: Watch out for the oil pan!

Thanks

Watch out for the oil pan!

Driving along Bloor Street in Oshawa, through some road construction. I didn't want to swerve into the oncoming traffic lane, and figured I was going slow enough, surely my stock Micra should be able to navigate through the potholes. The drop was more severe than I estimated, and, as I always suspected, the oil pan took the hit hard.

I could only imagine how much more severe this damage would have been had I lowered my Micra! In any case, I'm going to see if Durham Region is liable for replacing my oil pan; this should not have happened, especially when I'm paying over $5k a year in property taxes in this city.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Dude, that is nasty. Is it just a scrape or is it actually dented? Hard to tell from the video. Either way, I will be avoiding that section of town for sure!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    When I take it in for the speed calibration test, I'm going to get them to check the oil pan to see if it's just scratched and needs a new coat of paint, or if it's dented and needs to be replaced. If it's dented, I'm replacing it because the pickup sits inside the well that got hit, and any dent could restrict oil flow. Either way, I want the municipality to pay for it. There's no excuse for roads in this city of high property taxes to be that bad.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    For sure, and its not like the micra is -that- low of a car to begin with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    yea i agree with you, those roads are....third world or country rural standards yikes.
    Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ

Thanks
    As if that wasn't bad enough, look what it did to my front bumper:
    Name:  frontbumper.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  76.1 KB
    Definitely going after the city for this.

Thanks
    I drove that stretch on the weekend, I was lucky it was late so I drove in the opposing lane
    that being said I will not be using the Ritson road exit again till they fix the mess
    Good luck with the city
    try and let us know how things progress

Thanks
    Yikes. Yup, please let us know what the city says.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So far, nothing. Not sure if they're going to try to ignore me or if it's been escalated, but would have been nice to at least have gotten an automated reply.

Thanks
    I got a phone call yesterday from Durham Region advising me that they are processing my claim, and will let me know within 2 weeks time whether or not they will cover the damages, as they need to conduct an investigation. Meanwhile, I took it to the dealership. They advised against getting the bumper repainted, as the scratches are not visible and are only superficial. According to them, if the bumper were repainted, it may not match the fenders and hood 100% due to the nature of the paint. As for the oil pan, they said it was dented only slightly and paint would take care of the scratches, but if I wanted it replaced, it would be $130 for the pan and $90 labour. I'll see what Durham Region says, and if they're going to do the right thing, I'll just get them to pay for the oil pan replacement.