Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driven my Micra 1000k, im happy so far :)

Thanks

driven my Micra 1000k, im happy so far :)

hi guys, ive been driving for about 1000k on this thing SV trim, i like it quite a lot. my impressions/review:

pros;
    -small, without being too small (fiat 500 or below)
    - simple (i dont need all that infotainment bs)
    - reliable, hopefully? (speaking of infotainment bs...there was an article in Consumer reports or whatever that the #1 cause reliability complaints were infotainment-related!)
    - peppy (nissan versa engine in this smaller car!)
    - not ugly (i wouldn't call it great looking, but "good looking for its class" which means looks better than quite a lot of those economy cars out there!)

cons;
    - engine noise (but it's a minor complaint...esp. since im a young guy!)
    - wind noise (again, a minor complaint)
    - poor lumbar support (i put in a small pillow, so it's all good now)
    - random bangs and ticks while you are driving (this was brought up in another car review journalist so i know it's not just me...i hope this doesnt become a problem)

misc: the value side. If you want auto + the features offered in teh SV trim, then the car is a good value but not the SUPER GREAT value suggested by that 10k base price.

other cars i considered: honda fit 2015, mazda2 2016. I wanted the mazda (the new one coming out is by far the best looking subcomp hatch out there, and mazda2 are known to be the 'sportiest' of its class) but it's still almost a year or so away. And the fit is awesome, except for the CVT, and the fact that there are quality issues coming from its Mexican factory, that are starting to become public. And...it looks kinda ugly and minivan-ish.

all in all, i just hope it stays reliable thru the years. you do that, micra, and ill sing your praises to my final days

PS: does anyone know if the Canadian micra 2015 has Takata airbags? *gulp*

Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to micrapolis For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Welcome to the family. The Micra has been around since the early 80's, and has proven itself to be a reliable vehicle around the world. I had a 1990 model and was solid for reliability in spite of the abuse I put it through. I recommend rust protection; I've been rust proofing mine whenever I've had the time, and I've noticed a couple of spots that could become trouble spots for rust; the bit of metal between the front wheel wells and the rockers is one. As for the airbags, I have no idea. I don't plan on crashing, so hopefully it won't be an issue either way!

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey, micrapolis, glad you like your car and I agree with you on the new Honda Fit....FUGLY, what were they thinking? LOL.

Couple things you noted, that you might want to take up with your dealer:
    1) Wind noise? My Micra has absolutely zero wind noise at any speed. (engine/exhaust are noisy)
    2) Random noises knocks, ticks, bangs? Again, my Micra is very tight and quiet in this regard.

3) Your user name can be read a few different ways...mi crap olis? Hope your car doesn't turn out this way
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I agree with Aftica; the wind noise should be minimal (or at least the engine noise drowns it out), and the only real random noise I get is when the A/C compressor kicks in.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Welcome, micropolis!

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Did you go for the manual or automatic? (I think auto, but not sure if your comment about the SV value was generic or specific to your car.)

Oh, and post up a garage entry: add car!

Haven't seen anything about the airbags & Micra yet. (I'm not even sure if my 07 Civic is affected.)

And I agree: I'm really looking forward to seeing how good the new Mazda 2 is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    thanks for the welcome guys!

ive been luring & reading all your great threads/posts prior to, and since i had bought the micra. it's a nice community here.

as for trim: i got the SV middle trim, with auto. otherwise ill be one of those guys who drive 2nd gear at 50kph cuz i dont know better

whats really exciting about the micra is it proves simple, small hatches with MODERN safety systems are definitely a thing in Canada (the US....who knows). You guys saw the video review by The Fast Lane car ? thats exactly how i feel: peppy, happy, simple, even if not really perfect.

and yeah, im really looking forward to the new demio, aka mazda2

edit; the only small hatches in US/CDN that are better looking (aside from the new mazda) is mini cooper and fiat 500. Cars that i think are "about as good looking as micra" are the sonic, rio, mayyyyybe the new yaris (lol not really). And personally, im not on board 100% with the new Focus.

edit2; one safety/utility feature i wish this car had was hill start/stop assist (but then again, it's an economic hatch with the price/value to match!). Ive had tire slip issues in the rain, when starting at an uphill incline. Kinda unnerving.
    Last edited by micrapolis; 11-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    I've had tire slip issues in the rain, when starting at an uphill incline. Kinda unnerving.
    Probably cause our engine is just too damn powerful!! hehe.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    edit2; one safety/utility feature i wish this car had was hill start/stop assist (but then again, it's an economic hatch with the price/value to match!). Ive had tire slip issues in the rain, when starting at an uphill incline. Kinda unnerving.
    You mean you roll backward when releasing the brake, then spin the tires because of that?

Where do you live -- hilly and wet Vancouver?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Are the brake pedal and gas pedal close enough together and in height from the floor to employ heel-and-toes shifting? If so, that can help with hill starts. I never could manage it on my old Ford Aspire; the pedals weren't positioned right, and my foot wasn't long enough. My park brake wasn't working, so I couldn't use the alternate technique, though Micrapolis should be able to do it; have the park brake engaged while parked at the stop light uphill, move your foot from the brake to the gas, let go of the clutch slowly while adding gas, and then release the park brake just as you start to move forward.

Without the park brake and being able to do heel toe shifting, you can still just move your foot between the brake and gas quickly when releasing the clutch, but that couple of micro seconds between releasing the brake and engaging the gas can allow you to roll back a little bit, which is particularly scary when someone is tailgating you at a stop light. Plus the Aspire was so underpowered, you could stall the car if you didn't apply gas right away, as the idle was so weak on first the car would stall on the level if you didn't apply gas I don't think the Micra has that particular problem, but the rolling gap seems to be still there. Hopefully Micrapalis can apply either heel-and-toe or park brake to alleviate this.

Here's the Wikihow article on park-brake hill-start and heel-and-toe shifting hill start, as well as a hold clutch method, which may or may not work with the Micra, plus which sounds like it might be hard on your clutch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ustauk For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (11-05-2014)

Thanks
    yes i live in Van!

ustauk; thanks for the links, ill look into them