Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows won't Roll Down in Cold Weather?

Thanks

Windows won't Roll Down in Cold Weather?

Has anyone else had this issue?
    I just went to move my car, and tried to roll down my driver's side window so I could say something to my sister outside, but it was stuck. I'm in Hamilton, ON currently (0 degrees Celsius this morning). I tried all the other windows, and they were all stuck/frozen. The back windows eventually went down, but the two front windows wouldn't budge. Going to have to take it into my Nissan dealership, I suppose. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else's Micra? I have the automatic windows on my SR, not the manual roll-down btw.

Something else I've noticed is the side windows will fog up a lot, usually when I'm driving with at least 1 other person in the car. Can't seem to fix this, either.

Maybe I have some issues with the seal on all of my side windows that has caused both these problems?

Thanks
    You might be used to cars that have dedicated side window defroster vents. Our Micra's don't have these; instead, we must turn the front round vents towards the side windows and run the defroster for these windows to become cleared. Also, not at all unusual for power windows to freeze in our clime, the motors aren't that powerful in modern cars. Once you get the window rolled down, give the rubber seal a shot with some silicone spray lubricant to help prevent this from happening in the future.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    You might have water inside your door? for the fogging, putting the defog with the AC really help clear it up fast.

I don't have this problem with my car and I washed it recently. I know the water goes through the door probably because I had my car treated for rust at the dealer and there are traces of this grease drooling on the side of the car. So I am guessing that some water goes into the door pannel and exit through the holes at the bottom of the door. Are these holes blocked on your doors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Had you recently washed the car by any chance? My simple guess would be ice in the rubber seals around the glass.

Alpha's idea seems good: get some lubricant on the seals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    You might be used to cars that have dedicated side window defroster vents.
    Nope, only have a 1998 Honda Civic and it doesn't fog up nearly this much. Maybe I'll try to spray lubricant if it keeps happening, thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    You might have water inside your door? for the fogging, putting the defog with the AC really help clear it up fast.
    It isn't the windshield that's fogging up - its all 4 side windows... The AC defog helps a ton with the windshield of course, but it does nothing for the side windows.
    I also have had mine rustproofed and noticed the solution dripping down the side of the car below the doors, and the holes are not blocked.

Also have not washed the car recently. I will see how it goes once the weather gets colder and go from there I suppose.

Thanks
    Anybody here tried "Fog-X"?

EDIT: sorry, it's Rain-x "anti-fog"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bexnik View Post
    Nope, only have a 1998 Honda Civic and it doesn't fog up nearly this much. Maybe I'll try to spray lubricant if it keeps happening, thanks.

You see those circular vent-like things on either side of the top of the dash? Those are dedicated side window defroster vents. We don't have them in the Micra, so we need to aim the side vents towards the windows when we turn on the defroster. Also, make sure the air intake lever is set to outside air flow. Refer to page 4-9 of your owner's manual, see "Defrosting or defogging."

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post

You see those circular vent-like things on either side of the top of the dash? Those are dedicated side window defroster vents. We don't have them in the Micra, so we need to aim the side vents towards the windows when we turn on the defroster. Also, make sure the air intake lever is set to outside air flow. Refer to page 4-9 of your owner's manual, see "Defrosting or defogging."
    I've tried all of that already and still have issues with all side windows remaining fogged up. Unsure what is causing it. Thanks for the responses - just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

EDIT: Have not tried the 'anti-fog' sprays, but may give that a go, too.

Thanks
    Check and see if there's air flowing out of the two front circular vents when you have the defrost setting selected. If not, you've found your problem. If you do, try angling the side vents differently.