Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED light upgrade

Thanks
    Doing the interior light mod today for the second time. I am glad the bulbs came in packs of two

Thanks
    changed the front marker lights, the park lights and the stop/tail lights all to LED
    changing the marker and park lights is a pain in the ass so hopefully its a once and done with it deal
    I changed the interior and plate light to LED a year ago and am very happy with it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Pete (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    So the Nissan Versa has the same problem as the Micra. To their credit, there are two interior dome lights, one at the front, and one in the middle, but both have a pathetic license plate clearance light inside. I found the new version of the Philips two pack at Princess Auto for $14.99, but I also found Trux brand LED's two pack for $8.99. I bought both and decided to test them out.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_173033290_HDR.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  94.9 KB
    First, I realized that it's difficult to compare brightness of these lights just from photographs, as the camera will compensate for varying brightness, so I decided to measure each one with a light meter. First, a base line reading on the conventional bulb:
    Name:  conventional.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  45.1 KB
    Now here's the old style Philips I have in there now:
    Name:  newLED.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  43.0 KB
    The new Philips LED didn't measure quite as bright, but my eye couldn't tell the difference. This difference is so minute, it could have been how I held the light meter.
    Name:  BRANDnewLED.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  41.6 KB
    And now, finally, the Princess Auto cheapies, which we noticed immediately were pathetic and weak:
    Name:  IMGP9142.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  45.5 KB
    As you can see, this LED is even dimmer than the conventional bulb; it's actually a DOWNGRADE in brightness! These are definitely going back, I'm sticking to the Philips.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

Chef Groleau (02-13-2017),LilGeckos (02-13-2017),MetroMPG (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    SCIENCE!

Thanks for posting the test.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Has anyone tried the LED headlight bulb conversions?
    First car: 1984 silver Nissan Micra
    Current car: 2016 Gun Metallic Nissan Micra SV

Thanks
    I just put my old HID kit on MICRA that I have from my old W126 Mercedes. There are same H4 socket bulbs. The only puzzle I have to solve is - where to put ballasts.... I was able to tie right ballast to struts column and second one left loose by battery.... Now I am waiting for small parking LED light to match my 55W 6000K HIDs.. My only concern is alternator... With HID in, I increase a load on alternator and battery. So, I will replace all my light with LED to save some amperage.....
    Last edited by geo; 10-30-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks
    I am not really sure what do you mean - "how to trick the computer with the running lights". Can you please elaborate...

Thanks
    Look what I'm getting this 11/11!
    Pretty lights

Quote Originally Posted by geodude View Post
    Has anyone tried the LED headlight bulb conversions?
    I ran LED headlights for about a year, until one of them died on me. Noticeable difference, didn't (afaik) blind oncoming drivers, nice, pure white light. You gotta pick the right kind of Led headlight tho. Tricky stuff.
    I'm actually thinking of buying another LED kit. But getting genuine philips ZES/lumileds can be tricky.
    Alternatively, this guy in my city does xenon projector retrofits to the original headlight assembly, more expensive, but (properly installed) xenon is kind of the best light source at consumer level.

Thanks
    I just replaced my Rear brake/running lights with LED using the Philips bulbs shown.
    I was tricked into thinking there was 2 bulbs per side, its just a mirrored surface inside the assembly.
    Thankfully the auto parts store LORDCO took back the 2nd unopened package.
    I ended up having to reinsert 1 LED as it worked as a running light but no brake light,
    so just had to turn the LED around.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks
    I couldn't leave the car alone without changing the high mount stop lamp to LED.
    I managed to snap the top corner of the lens off while just using my fingers to remove the light.
    I went to the local Nissan dealer for a new assembly & was quoted $29.95 or $295 depending on the model.
    Thankfully it was $29.95, I assume the more expensive lamp must have a rear camera for SR?
    The stop lamp is pretty much glued to the car by the weatherstrip being used so beware!
    Notice how much gunk was under the lamp assembly edges.
    I did remove all the old weatherstrip material before installing the new assembly BTW.
    Good news is the LED worked.

Attached Images Attached Images