Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Micra Race Series -- Coupe Micra Cup

Thanks
    Just noticed:

the potential to expand to other provinces in 2016 and beyond.
    http://www.nissan.ca/micra-cup/en/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Autoblog has picked up this story... tipped by Micra-Forum.com.

Nissan Canada offers box-fresh racecar for $19,998 [w/video]

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

Top Gear makes fun of it...

HA! Top Gear (UK) has picked up the story too:

Good news! It's Nissan’s £11k racer
    Bad news! It's a Micra, it makes just 109bhp, and it's not for the UK

And you get the usual Top Gear snark about the Micra, "stalwart of learner drivers and elderly shoppers".

There’s just one more bit of bad news. The racing makeover ensures the Micra Cup isn’t road legal. So there’ll be no stocking up on cat food supplies once you’ve taken the chequered flag.
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...car-2014-10-20

Thanks
    One other quote from the article that counters the snark a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gear
    The makeover has been carried out by JD Motorsports, whose founder Jacques Deshaies seems very excited to race-ify a Micra. “After my first test-drive in the Micra, with my heart racing from this seemingly inconspicuous, subcompact car, I knew without a doubt this was the optimum vehicle for the motorsport series”, he says. Sounds likes Canadian buyers get a completely different Micra to us…
    According to the Micra UK specs our Micra has 11 horsepower over the bigger UK engine. Between that and the suspension changes, I imagine ours is much more fun then the UK. It'd be cool if Top Gear or another program spent a segment comparing the two.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ustauk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-20-2014)

Thanks
    Interesting! Their supercharged triple makes slightly more torque. (108 ft. lbs = 147 Nm)

Or "one more torque" as whassisname on Top Gear would say.

Thanks
    This whole idea is not new but completely awesome. Loved the Civic series, waaay back in the day.
    I'm really digging the moronic ignorance shown by the haters in the comment sections... LOL...I mean, guys purporting to be motorsport enthusiasts aren't all over this? WTF? *Shakes head*

Little boys with big e-peens making me laugh, back to staring at your wall of Lambo posters.

Hope this makes it to Ontario, National, NA wide and more!

I know it's cliche, but if they made a reality (or Docudrama) series out of this...might really light a fire under it. One camera and a few dozen GoPros...
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The biggest difference from the Honda Civic series was those cars were also street legal, which made it SUPER affordable, with the idea that you could daily drive your race car during the week, too (after putting the muffler and street legal tires back on). I wonder what it is about the Micra mods that disqualifies it from street use.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The biggest difference from the Honda Civic series was those cars were also street legal, which made it SUPER affordable, with the idea that you could daily drive your race car during the week, too (after putting street legal tires back on). I wonder what it is about the Micra mods that disqualifies it from street use.
    I seem to remember those Hondas having the interior gutted, but I'm not sure that disqualifies it from street use? Lots of gansta punks seem to get away with it.

Maybe the airbag removal or intake changes make it technically illegal?

EDIT: I love the roll cage...might be tempted lol!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My guess: airbags. Is it possible those Hondas had none?

"One of the most popular grassroots Canadian racing championships was the Honda-Michelin Challenge Series that ran from the mid-1970s into the 1990s and for one year in 2004."

Source: Racing is in Honda's DNA - Wheels/Toronto Star

Possibly no airbags in the pre-2004 series.

Thanks
    Danny, are you involved in the racing series in some way? Did you take the promo images for them?