Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turn off running lights

Thanks
    PS: I remember a time when people could purchase a module to add DRL's to their non-DRL automobiles.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    When I was 15, my older friend drove a non-DRL Buick. We were flying at a high rate of speed along Highway 115 (before it was a divided highway), when he blew through a speed trap. We saw the cherries light up; he killed the lights and shifted down to slow down, and hit an east-west side road. We were practically flying blind down that side road until we came to another side road running north off of that; I still don't know how he knew it was there. Once on that side road, he finally turned the headlights back on, made his way back to another east-west side road, and then back onto highway 115. He coasted by the cops at the speed limit, who were searching the ditches with the spot lights on their car. They must've thought we vanished into the night. He would have never been able to do this with DRL's.

I refused to ride with him ever again.
    Awesome story! Sounds like a great driver to ride with! Cool decision making under stressful conditions is a good trait for all types of driving situations.

Too many times this type of thing goes wrong because even a trained driver (lead or chase) lets the adrenaline get the better of him. Being able to use the adrenaline to focus your mind, rather than letting it switch you into panicked super hero mode is the key.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I'd expect it to spread across the rest of the provinces, and its for your safety.
    For the record, I accept the safety benefit of DRL's. I was one of the first drivers I knew who used full lights in daytime on non-DRL cars, and I've ridden motorcycles as well.

But there are times when they're arguably just a waste: eg. driving on a divided freeway. (As opposed to city driving, or driving on a 2 lane highway.)

I'd like the option to disable them in specific circumstances because I don't like wastefulness. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it were impossible to do in a car I owned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    BCM, body control module. Most of the options in your car are controlled by the BCM instead of complicated relays. For example, when you touch the turn signal, it flashes a few times regardless of how long you hold it down.

If you want a real ride with a properly trained driver, next time Borden opens up the course to trained people, Ill let you ride shotgun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well, thought I would have another look and there is a whole other plate of spaghetti that pulls out from the fuse box. LOL! what a freakin' mess. Still no fuse or wire marked ''disconnect DRL's''
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I also had them disabled on my S10 and like to go do on my Micra.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    It a gang thing: you need to be able to turn off all lights and then the first approaching car that flashes his lights at you...
    Oh no, a gang of Micra's. We all going to be out to run a muck. We leave areas in the dead of night with our quiet exhausts and great gas mileage. Oh the anarchy we would cause.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ahhh Yeah, *****es ain’t ****...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Micra Guy View Post
    Ahhh Yeah, *****es ain’t ****...
    Ludacris's new video is going to have Micra's everywhere in the video. Micra's are the new Civic lol. I couldn't type that with a straight face.

Thanks
    Ok I have a new problem where the DTRL wont come on.

Has anyone found a way to remove DTRL? I can't seem to find DTRL in the fuse boxes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...