Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.

Thanks

Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.

Name:  block-heater-title.jpg
Views: 6053
Size:  71.7 KB
    (Photo from cjander's thread: Block heater location)

UPDATE: for 2015 the block heater was standard equipment. For 2017 it's listed as an available accessory.

Who's planning to use their factory-equipped block heater? It's beautiful and warm here in eastern Ontario today, but we'll be seeing some more single digit temps soon enough. We've already had one frost warning, and freezing temps aren't that far away.

For those not in the habit, why use a block heater?

1) You'll save fuel by reducing the "warm-up hit"

Your fuel economy sucks after a cold start.

The warm-up hit affects automatic cars more than manuals, because the transmission is programmed to hold lower gears longer until everything's up to temperature. (That's one reason why automatic fuel economy can be lower than a manual's in a head-to-head comparison.)

But manuals are also affected because regardless of transmission, the engine runs on an enriched fuel mixture until the coolant is up to a certain temperature.

And the colder it is outside, the longer it takes to get out of warm-up mode.

Also, oil viscosity (thickness) increases as temperature drops. The engine works harder and burns more fuel to pump it around and to move parts separated by an oil layer. (Does the Micra specify synthetic oil? If so, it's not as affected by this issue.)

2) You'll reduce wear

Most of your engine wear occurs from cold starts, when the oil has drained down into the pan. Warm oil will circulate through the engine faster and oil pressure will come up sooner.

It's also easier on the battery to start a pre-heated engine.

3) More comfy!

You'll get cabin heat sooner if you use the block heater.

Sure, you could also get heat sooner if you just idle your car in the driveway, but that just kills your fuel economy, increases emissions and costs more.

---

I've already started using the coolant heater in my old Firefly. I'm actually a "3-season" block heater user. It's not just for wintertime anymore!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Vaszya (01-26-2022)

Thanks

wattage?

OH: question for anyone who's got a Kill-a-watt energy monitor. Could you plug it into the block heater and tell us how many watts it is? I'm very curious, and I forgot to check when I had the SR automatic loaner.

Also, can someone confirm that this is a frost-plug type of installation? I'm 95% sure it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm with Darin on this. I love my block heater. Get in a car and you get heat a lot faster in winter, plus you reduce engine wear, and get better fuel economy? What isn't to love. I also put mine on a timer so it doesn't suck down electricity all night.

Thanks
    You have it on a timer how long is it on before you start?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It all depends on the wattage. Typically 2-3 hours though.

Thanks
    That timer idea is just what i need to start using the block heater. I heard too many stories of people using block heaters not being able to start when their not plugged in. i feel that just heating 2-3 hours before leaving will reduce that effect.
    Am i way out there with this assumption?

Thanks
    I've heard that one too: that a block heater will somehow "spoil" the car, and then it won't start unless you ALWAYS plug it in.

It's an urban myth.

There may be a tiny grain of truth that started the myth: if the car's battery is on its last legs, it may be able to start a warm engine, whereas a near-death battery won't be able to turn over a stone cold motor.

Another possible tiny grain of truth: if the car's got a carburetor with a busted choke, it may start if the engine is pre-warmed, but not if it's too cold. (That one's a long shot.)

None of which apply to a new Micra.

Thanks
    My Ford Ranger, the "block heater cord" is in fact a battery warmer...

Thanks
    Ha!

Yeah, that would be the best of both worlds: block heater & battery warmer.

Thanks
    My Micra will be spending most of its winter nights inside an attached garage. I wonder if a block heater will even be necessary?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...