Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.

Thanks
    They're going to do exactly what they did the first time with the K10, they'll keep removing things from the Micra until nobody wants it in order to extract every penny of profit right up until the day they decide to kill it. Last time, it took them five years, which gives us until 2019 this time around, just in time for the Versa Note redesign.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Wonder if the 17 versa still has it...
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks
    ^ Hm... I just checked the 2017 Versa Note brochure and it doesn't mention block heater at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Up here everything on the lot at the dealership has a winter package installed as soon as it arrives.
    It comes with a battery blanket, block heater, oil pan heater, all-season floor mats and a protective coating (that appears to be wax based).

I'm a little pissed about it actually. They were non-negotiable on the install/cost ($730).

I didn't realize til I got it home what a **** job they did spraying the car down and the inside of my engine bay is coated with a sticky, chunky dried semen looking finish. Simple Green did nothing. Spent one hour so far scraping all the gunk off mostly plastic parts in the bay.

They also used DUCT TAPE, yes, DUCT TAPE on my oil pan heater and BRAND NEW CAR... My 93 Golf doesn't even have duct tape on it because I'm not Red Green or a lazy mechanic... Christ...

Not to mention I didn't even want an oil pan or battery heater nor the OEM all-weather mats. Weathertech mats > OEM mats and a block heater alone is plenty good enough. Also having a blue fisher-price power bar rattling around in the bumper is not exactly what I consider an attractive feature.

As soon as the weather clears up I'm ripping off the oil pan heater and duct tape and properly installing it with some extreme high temp RTV... Oh yeah.. and more scraping..

Thanks
    That doesn't sound good at all.

Is it possible the duct tape is on just to hold the pad while the adhesive cures?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That doesn't sound good at all.

Is it possible the duct tape is on just to hold the pad while the adhesive cures?
    It is possible and I guess I will find out. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but they didn't go over any of what they actually installed and charged me for. That's why I'd much rather pay for the service at a later date. Then there is the defined expectation of what will be installed and where and I'd be losing my vehicle for a day and paying in cash to have it completed.

Because they just start mass applying these packages when they're trying to get cars on the lot there is no point of quality assurance and on the consumer side checking for that is a complete afterthought during the new car buying process.

Thanks
    My 2017 Micra SR came without an Engine Blockheater. It was a shock as it gets as cold as -30C here (SE Alberta) I never compared spec sheet but 2016 its there 2017 it’s disappears. So between snow tires and a $378 blockheater there went any savings. Why wouldn’t they at least put it in the option so a person would know it’s not standard anymore?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapp View Post
    My 2017 Micra SR came without an Engine Blockheater. It was a shock as it gets as cold as -30C here (SE Alberta) I never compared spec sheet but 2016 its there 2017 it’s disappears. So between snow tires and a $378 blockheater there went any savings. Why wouldn’t they at least put it in the option so a person would know it’s not standard anymore?
    I wasn't happy about this either when I bought my Micra. Since that I bought it in June I wasn't really looking for a block heater. Once I got home and went over everything I wasn't able to find it. Phoned the Sales person and they told me "they were an option, not standard on 2017's." I figured that since it was June that I could wait a few months and no problem. Got one installed a few weeks ago and no issues. It hasn't been cold enough to use it though.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Has anyone installed their own block heater? They should be available for less than $50. I am not mechanically inclined but I have put them into other cars that I have owned. $378 seems a lot high to knock out a frost plug and install the heater.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapp View Post
    $378 blockheater
    Wow. Nissan part or aftermarket?