Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.

Thanks
    Anyone figured out where the clip is supposed to be clipped? And do you let the plug hang when it is unplugged and leave it there while driving or do you have to set it back into its original position?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If you're going to let the plug hang outside, I would get a cover for it, otherwise the metal will start to corrode. That'll degrade the electrical contact with your extension cord.

EG: one of these...

You can get them at Crappy Tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bl...-0300019p.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Howie (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    The block heater in the Micra probably comes from a different Nissan (i.e. the Versa), and it likely clips to something on that car, but on our cheap little Micra it's like an appendix.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Crappy Tire has a sale on winter rated "block heater" extension cords $10 for a 10m, and also some of their outdoor timers suitable for block heaters are on sale.
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ptbo micra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    What do you use as a timer for the block heater outside?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    have not bought one yet, tonight I checked to see if the receptacle outside worked before I invest in a cord and timer.
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks
    If your Micra's outside, you're a bit handy, and you hate the cold, Canadian Tire has a 120 v/ wall outlet interior car heater for $90. You run the cord through your firewall and out by your block heater cord, and install the heater on a bracket in your car.

Thanks

Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.

It's -22C, and it's going to be -25C overnight...

When I start the car in the morning with the block heater plugged in, the engine often stall, then I have to start it again and the second time it's OK. Is that normal?

It does not do this when it's not plugged in and it always start first time. wierd!

Thanks
    Hi Dani,

It's funny that you mention block heater and slow cranking, I had this exact discussion less than a week ago with a friend.
    Here's my take on it:

To start the engine, the starter draws power from the battery, and needs to move the crankshaft. Out of this equation, oil viscosity isn't the biggest issue in our weather. I believe by -25C, the battery can't deliver more than half of its CCA rating... when new.
    Since you probably have 5W30, the viscosity will be high, but not like molasses at these siberian temperatures. The issue is the battery feels weak at that temperature, and therefore it's the energy required to start the car that is the biggest concern; not the resistance.

Mine starts fine. It's a manual without block heater. What I may install is a battery warmer and insulator. I will see if I can fit a insulator casing around the battery and heater in lieu of the current set-up. A 50W battery warmer should be plenty for the colder nights. Many mechanics (well, maybe two or three really) have told me, to preserve your battery, you need to keep it away from heat and cold as much as possible. Insulator would shield it from the engine heat, and keep it as warm as possible. This will allow the brawn to be in top shape when comes the time to move that crankshaft stuck in the maple taffy we have instead of oil.

Many will say, the car won't start the same when engine block is heated. I tend to agree on oil getting sort of "lazy".

I will try to get 0W30 for winter, and for the forecasted colder nights below -20, a cabin heater on timer for an hour before leaving, and heated battery.

What I noticed this morning, was the clutch being pretty slow, as if IT was in molasses. That one I'll see if there oil with a W rating for. It made shifting a little awkward for the first 30min.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I wouldn't use a block heater after my next oil change, and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts better. 0W30 may help as well. But I feel it should start no problem. Nights have been around -28 here in Ottawa, you shouldn't be worst.

Cheers.

P.S: I used to live way up north, so I don't mind the cold that much. I ain't that tired of yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Dani -- this is what I think might happen: the engine runs on different fuel enrichment depending on what the coolant temperature sensor is reporting. It needs full enrichment for a cold start. Since the block heater probably doesn't heat the coolant uniformly all through the engine, I wonder if the computer thinks the engine is warmer than it really is, so it doesn't provide enough fuel enrichment for that first start on a very cold morning.

Even so, there's an overall benefit to using the block heater... personally I would always use one when I have the chance. Even if it means 2 tries.

Battery warmer would help if slow cranking is the problem. But it doesn't sound like that's the issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...