Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    MetroMPG, I live in Calgary AB. I usually notice the sound when driving straight but it only ever happens when im in a parking lot or something goin very slow.. The only turning that would occur is if i was backing out or pulling out of a parking spot/lot.. but its noticed after ive already started moving in a straight line after a few seconds. I really dont think its a suspension problem because the noise goes away everytime the car revs from 1st too 2nd and changes gears.. And the funny thing is i do notice it sounds more prominent when its cold.. I dunno! Im contemplating just going to kidnap one of the techs from the dealership for the day and drive him/her around until they hear the damn thing lol.

Thanks
    As stated earlier, you should get a dash camera with a built-in microphone. Calgary has blessed the Western Canadian brick and mortar retail landscape and Canadian online retail landscape by birthing one of the best computers/electronics retailers in the country, Memory Express; they have the DOD Tech RX7W+ for $199.99 and the DOD Tech CR65W for $169.99, both of which have built-in microphones. The youtube demos below both have sound.

DOD RX7W+

DOD CR65W

Thanks
    You don't even need to spend that much. I got mine from Canada Computers for $60. Personally, if I were that concerned, I'd use my digital flash audio recorder (decent ones can cost as little as $20), and spend a couple of bucks for a cheap clip-on microphone and run the mic under the hood.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Here is the best video/sound i could get of the noise my micra is making! Its dark and you cant really see anything but turn up that volume and take a listen! Sorry for the bad quality its taken with an Iphone lol

Any opinions as too what this noise is will be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzzVcMRNox0&feature=youtu.be

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robm6981 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    I listened to your video bro, but (like your dealer) can't make out which sound you mean. Need better quality.

The knocking noise that my car makes occasionally, is very distinct, but not repeatable on cue.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I listened too. At first I couldn't hear anything unusual over my external speakers.

BUT with headphones on it's pretty clear.

I definitely hear a knocking/rattling starting at 6 seconds into the video, up to the shift to 2nd gear at ~7.5 seconds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yeah your right with headphones you can hear it much better! And your right on the money it starts at 6 seconds in the video and goes till about 7.5 seconds when the car changes from 1st to 2nd. Its just so weird because it will NEVER make the noise upon a fresh start after sitting for the night. Its always after ive gone to the store or somewhere and start the car for the second or third time? Its almost like it warms up and something gets loose and begins too rattle/knock? But then somedays it wont make the sound at all. So fkn frustrating lol. I dunno Im gonna bring it in today and take a tech for a longgggg drive. Hopefully ill be able to duplicate the sound and get some answers!

Thanks
    Typically when a car has an intermittent symptom, you have to leave it with the dealer techs to drive around for a couple of days so they can experience it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I already have. To no avail.. they just tell me that they cant duplicate the sound. Probs cause their too stupid too even know what sound to be looking for. So basically i either have to duplicate it with a tech in the car for them to do anything OR just wait for whatever the problem is to get worse and really start causing issues. Which by the time that happens the warranty will most likely be up and ill be left with a useless car... Odd feeling this is whats going to happen.

Thanks
    When you caught the noise on video yesterday, did it just do it a few times, or could you get it to keep doing it?