Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    Just got the car back now. Engine was completely replaced and the knocking is no longer present. Only time will tell if it holds up this way. My Service Manager informed me that Nissan Canada had no clue about any simple fixes and reported that the entire engine must be replaced. Apparently i was the first official case in Canada so we'll see how long it takes until more people come forward and a recall or bulletin goes out.

Sorry to hear that anonymous. Hopefully you can get everything figured out aswell.
    thank god your new engine does not have the problem.
    are they going to disasembly the old engine for inspection, or send it back to the factory or something like that??
    when you have some free time can you upload a new video of the new engine when hot rob??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Guys.. dont worry so much about ripping the steering column apart.. its on your CMVSS dataplate on the kickpanel...

April 14 by the looks of it.. Im going to go through and we can list it out. Make this into some kind of post that can be printed and presented to dealers/mechanics.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-13-2014)

Thanks
    Anonymous 4-14 - Hopefully Next Week For Inspection
    Robm6981 - Engine Replaced
    Gonzagnr 5-14 -
    OneTwoKombo -

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Anonymus, one thing you did not tell us, was your engine making the knock when it was brand new, or you didnt pay atention??
    Or you are sure that when the car was new the knock was not present??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I know its started recently. Past week or so. Wasnt present when I did those videos the other day about the air snorkel. Either that or im just much more aware of it now that Ive heard it.

Thanks
    This is the service invoice from the replacement today.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  95.2 KB

Sorry i have no clue why it keeps flipping sideways like that. At least its something to show your dealerships as evidence to support the claim.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robm6981 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-13-2014)

Thanks
    well anonymums, in any case the sad truth is that you have the knock now
    i wish this is only a limited number of engines with a defective component provided by some supplier.

the thing is, that if they dont fix the problem, they will be installing "less" faulty engines until warranty ends, i remember the case of one guy on the versa forum from the US, that he had his engine 3 times replaced for the piston slap, in the end i think the dealer buy the car from him.
    rob, does the new engine sound the same or even better that the micra sv you were given while they were raplacing the engine??

Thanks
    It sounds the same as the loaner Micra Sv i had. Zero knocking as far as i can hear. Its -20 celcius here in Calgary right now so im not too eager to go outside and test the car out anymore right now lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    It sounds the same as the loaner Micra Sv i had. Zero knocking as far as i can hear. Its -20 celcius here in Calgary right now so im not too eager to go outside and test the car out anymore right now lol.
    lol
    also it will take ages to the engine to be hot :P
    but i will apreciate a lot if you can record a video of the new engine when warm in the future.

Thanks
    RobM, thanks for posting the replacement details from the invoice:

Completed removal of engine assembly due to knock from engine isolated to cylinder #2. Installed new long block assembly, transferred over necessary components, topped up oil and coolant level. After assembly, confirmed that knock symptom was eliminated. And road tested under same conditions to verify.
    Too bad it didn't specifically say what the cause of the knock was in Cyl #2.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...