Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Agreed, thanks for the update. Its good to see Nissan handling things.

Thanks
    **UPDATE** I have finally gotten a concrete answer back from the dealership and they are saying the knocking turned out to be coming from cylinder #2. They are replacing the engine for me in the next few days. Hopefully This next engine doesn't have the same problem!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    **UPDATE** I have finally gotten a concrete answer back from the dealership and they are saying the knocking turned out to be coming from cylinder #2. They are replacing the engine for me in the next few days. Hopefully This next engine doesn't have the same problem!
    glad to hear they are going to do something to fix the problem.
    did they say if the problem was a rod bearing, or if they are going to disasembly the engine to investigate in more detail the problem??
    i have sent you some PM rob.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey man thanks, and yeah all they told me was that the problem was cylinder #2. Im not sure if they are doing anything other than replacing the engine entirely. My guess is if anything they'll send my old engine back too Nissan Canada for further investigation.

Thanks
    Could you ask them specifically what was wrong? We can't end this thread without knowing!

Glad to hear this is being resolved for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey Rob, has your engine been replaced already???
    As i told rob via PM, i got my engine replaced... new engine was making the same noise... waiting for another answer from nissan, they never told me what was causing the noise, in my opinion they dont know.
    i will wait a few more days, if i dont get a good answer i will hire a lawyer.

ps. here you have 2 more videos of rod bearing problems on nissan engines, even a v6 with that problem sounds the same as our engines.
    so by now i am 99% sure the problem is rod bearing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUn5NoPrQig
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxuvf6EC_iE
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 11-05-2014 at 11:17 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey Gonza, Nope nothing yet i still have the loaner SV. Ive been told it will be done by the end of this week, but like you they haven't give me any answers as too WHY this engine was making this knocking noise. Its clearly a manufacturing defect that they're covering up because they've been producing these HR16DE engines forever and yet somehow this is the first time the problem has come up..? Yeah right.. Makes me think they've just been trying to sweep all the reports under the rug so the public is never aware what the true problem is. Ive thought of taking legal action aswell but unfortunately i dont really have the funds too go after these scumbags in a legal manner. I guess as long as they fix my car there's not much else that i can do or get from them. Personally i think they should of just replaced our vehicles entirely because the value has decreased so much now that ive had to have an engine replacement. I really wish i never would've bought a Nissan in the first place. But live and learn i guess eh!

Thanks
    I don't think it's the same problem as you are having because it's not the same sound, but I had a clicking sound, very anoying and found out it was my plastic dash. When it is cold it probably get too stiff and it was rubbing against the windshield. I put some padding between the dash and the windshield and the cracking sound is gone. I had no problem with this when it was a warmer temperature.

It seems that at a certain temperature the dash is making some cracking or clicking sound. Anyway, mine is silent now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    It will only do it every once in awhile and mainly on colder days ive noticed. But it has also done it in warmer weather so i dunno? What does it sound like in your opinion? Any ideas?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    on my car the warmer the engine, the louder the sound (this is the SAME on both engines).
    on Rob car i think is the same by know, because the noise goes getting worse as the miles go by.
    mine is making more noise than 500 miles ago.
    this is without a doubt an internal engine problem, if not, why the hell are they changing the engines?
    i agree with Rob, this is my first and last nissan.

Thanks
    another 2 videos to reinforce the idea that the problem is rod bearing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmhl...vF940YTbW43wwg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTNx...W43wwg&index=2
    Yesterday i was trying to listen my cars knock, and in my opinion was comeing from the left side of the engine (viewing the engine from the front with the hood open), but not 100% to left.
    after i downloaded the hr16de service manual, the part of the engine i think the noise is coming is cylinder 2, the same one Rob has the problem.
    I bet there are a lot of faulty engines out there, because my 2 engines had the same problem.
    i have heard a couple of 2012 and 2013 micras, without the knock, so i think is a 2014-.... model problem.