Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So to clarify, IMPUL: what's the official reason (problem found) for the replacement?
    Yes please. I also would like to know.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So to clarify, IMPUL: what's the official reason (problem found) for the replacement?
    +1

and why only a short block and not entire engine???
    i think people that is not going for the overhaul, deserves a new complete engine (long block), you paid for a new car, the entire car, not only a part of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Short block comes with the affected parts.

Block
    crank
    connecting rods bearings and caps
    pistons

A long block would be everything, AC condensor, plugs, head, intake, belts, pullies- not needed to be replaced in this defect. Replacing them unnessisairiy becomes a cost that needs to be covered that wont becoming out of their profit margin, in one way or another the new customer and old ones will pay for it. Might be a penny each, but we will pay for it collectively.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    i think long block does not include all those accesories.
    long block is a factory sealed engine, including cylinder head, a brand new engine.
    in the short block they will install your used cylinder head and put a new gasket.
    in my opinion a 100% new engine is what they should install and cross fingers to get a non knocking one.
    next week will go to the dealer and see how things are going, will try to find out if there is any official confirmation that new engines are being produced knock free (so problem fixed), i bet they will never give that information to any dealer, but i will ask.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

As howie said... My bottom end is affected, not my cylinder head valves ect.

No "official" reason given. You saw the emails I've received. That's the only info they have offered.
    The reason it's being replaced, as far as I can tell, is cause they tested it and made it passed each level of testing.
    So I levelled up and got my bonus engine?!?( I wonder what the high score is, what 2 or 3 engine?) Maybe it's cause I straight up told them I know what's up, I've seen the internal documents. I don't know. The whole time the buck has been passed directly to "tech hotline" aka the "wizard of OZ" or "the wiz"

They have been handling this since day one. The dealership was simply the means to communicate with the wiz.

And the wiz, know what it is...

"Keep calm and jump on(through the hoops)"

Nissan and Jennifer have been doing good so far, even swapping my exhaust to quiet it down. Never seen a bill.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    a guy in colombia has hid engine overhauled after nissan send the official reckon of the problem to dealers, the overhaul was done only 1 or 2 weeks ago.
    i am waiting for his feedback, details and what internals had been changed (some dealers dont want to replace the crankshaft, which is not my case) and a full report.
    confirmed problem in cylinder 2.
    also waiting for a new video after overhaul.
    in my case repair will take another week since there was another part missing (not a single 1 in the whole country) that arrived yesterday, so probably wont be ready until 29 of this month.
    this is my first brand new car, and the one that has been more time at the workshop, by far.

***update***
    guy in colombia told me they only replaced main bearings and repaired crankshaft, they did not replace any other internal, only bearings.
    he told me he sold the car because of that reasson, he thought that was not a good fix, so better get rid of it, so saddly we wont get a video.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-16-2016 at 12:01 PM.

So I know what my problem is and how to check for a bad engine.

My comp test results
    #1 172 cylinder
    #2 174 cylinder
    #3 171 cylinder
    #4 176 cylinder

FSM LIMITS:
    219psi standard
    184psi minimum
    14.5psi differential between cylinders

So as far as I can tell, the other tests were to, A: see if it was something else, B: to see if it's going to be warrentied or not.

They could have done a comp test day one and save me a lot of time and running around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-17-2016)

Thanks
    so among the rod knock your engine had low compression?????
    how many km????
    a rod knock does not cause low compression, maybe if there is metal on oil (like other member report shown) can damage the engine.
    ask for a new compression test with the new engine, because on a durability test done in brazil (a very famous magazine drivers 60k on a car and then they disassembly the whole car and check for worn parts) with a versa, after 60k km car had low compression because of CYLINDER HEAD.
    here you have link
    http://quatrorodas.abril.com.br/blog...onte-do-versa/

“A folga de entrepontas do anel de compressão dos quatro pistões estava dentro dos limites. Ou seja, o vazamento de pressão só ocorria por cima, por falha no assentamento das válvulas”.

i understand portugese so i will translate, the clearence between pistons rings and cylinder wall was ok, so engine was loosing compression because of bad sealing on valves.

i think hr16de in brazil come with higher compression than in rest of the world because they have flex fuel engines, engine has to work with gasoline and alcohol, thats why minimum aceptable compression ratio has a higher value.

Thanks
    yes.. lower compression can be a indicator of a failed bearing. If the bearing has failed there will be a gap between the crank and rod and will cause the piston to sit lower at tdc, thus giving a lower compression on the given piston. Its actally one of the easiest ways to diagnose it or. a bent rod, worn wrist pin, etc.

I dont understand why it would be across all 4 in his case. Usually a failed head has other symptoms like leaks, oil in coolant, white smoke etc..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    thats only if you have a spun rod bearing, which is not the case on these engines.
    and problem is only cylinder 2, and in his case that cylinder has more compression than some of the others.
    if comrpession test was done correctly, i am sure problme is cylinder head, in the past i remark some engines among the rod knock problem was coming with defective valve guides producing a metalic ticking noise.
    i have never heard impul engine, but maybe thats why all cylinders are low.
    it would be a good information to know how many km on the car and if he has noticed oil level going down, because catalytic converter wont allow big part of the smoke to come out.