Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    Engine oil analysis can tell them a lot of things. (If that is what they are doing). For example if they see high quantities of copper in the oil, then it could indicate bearing wear. If you do you own oil changes and aren't using their oil, or the oil level isn't at the right level, they could blame that. They could be looking for an easy out to not change out the motor- if they have to swap an engine, the profit margin from that car is probably null. On the other hand, they could be looking for the answer, in the oil.

It could be something that the oil journals aren't machined large enough, or oil isn't draining fast enough to cool the bearing. If there isn't enough oil, there might not be enough cushioning and the bearing could be getting pounded flat each power stroke it has to deal with, wearing out prematurely.

0w 30 would provide more protection at cold start ups, but some people like gonz probably never have cold starts like we do and he has the same issue. But, maybe its on the other way! Maybe we need a heavier grade oil for more cushioning. Maybe the 30 isnt enough protection. Maybe a 10w 40? But that would cause more wear on cold start... Choices...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (01-11-2016)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    well, going for the overhaull tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
    a new mechanic confirmed that last week one engine throw a rod out of warranty but probably they will pay for short block (so the car was at least a 2012 model).
    also told me they have been doing the overhaul in many cars recently with good result, i really dont care that much of the outcome in the long run because i will get rid of the car, but he told me some of them have done 200k km after the overhaul, i dont know if is true or not but is what he told me.
    the repair will take around 8 days so will keep you updated.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-11-2016 at 04:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzagnr For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (01-11-2016)

^^^^ ?!???

200k km since overhaul? How? That a lot of driving. 70 days of non-stop 24 hour driving at 120km/h

Many overhauls? So everyone but you is getting their short block replaced?whys it take so long for yours but other ppls are getting fixed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    200k km in a 2012 versa for example is not THAT much for people that travel a lot in highway.
    a friend of mine that works as an airplane mechanic travels 180-200km a day (he does not have a nissan, has a diesel peugeot)
    in my case i only travel 15-30km a day or less.
    i really dont know if is true or not, thats what dealers tech told me about the outcome of this fix.
    mine has taken so long because they had run out of some internals and factory was not sending the parts, obviously they have run out because they have done many overhauls.
    also probably when they told me "this is the first time we hear this noise" that was a lie and probably they had been doing overhauls on these engines since 2 or 3 years ago.
    here in forum almost every member was told "the first time" thing, which was proven is not true.
    the guy that had his engine blown said to them that some times he used to hear some strange noise, but since the car was runing good did not reprot the problem, some day was cruising and bang!!!! thrown rod, like the guy in mexico, thank god they did not crash against anything/anybody.
    in any case, for those forum members that still dont have the problem fixed, keep pushing for a good fix.
    i will share a video asap as i have the car back.

PS. impul, by overhaul i dont mean short block replaced, i mean replacing all internals, crank, bearings, pistons, rods, rings, etc with original block, thats the fix nissan suggest for this issue, this allows the techs to verify right clearence between bearings and crank, so the rod knock hopefully will be gone, installing a new engine is a lottery.
    the guy in mexico whose engine throw a rod had to wait more than 2 month for the factory to send a short block, and car was out of warranty so they were earning good money with that sale, so i am not surprised with this delay in getting the parts.
    also in the maxima forum some members had same delay with their new engines.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-11-2016 at 11:17 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Car is in the dealer.
    If everything goes well will be ready for friday 22.
    All new internals will be installed, everything.
    All clearences will be checked when assembling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagnr View Post
    Car is in the dealer.
    If everything goes well will be ready for friday 22.
    All new internals will be installed, everything.
    All clearences will be checked when assembling.
    I hope they get your car fixed up. They at least seem to have some idea there of what is wrong. They don't seem to have any idea of what causes it here. Very disappointing for sure. Mine has been knocking along for the last 13000kms at least with its "normal abnormal engine noise". Car gets a new block heater cord put in (only lasted one winter) this Friday. Couldn't use it for the last month because it would trip the ground fault safety switch on the house. I also will be getting the 18 month car check up on Friday.

Thanks
    the chief mechanic told me TODAY that nissan has recently released an official techincal tip about this problem.
    so push your dealer, by now they must have that information.
    if your dealer does not have this information, if there is another one not to far, go and ask, because i dont know if EVERY dealer receive it.
    it is the same information i posted a long time ago in spanish, but by that time it was an internal information, an insider took the picture at the factory, but now it is official and probably with more details.
    the problem is bad bad rod bearing size, but also the rod cap is defective.
    they dont say if new engines are still being produced faulty or not, in my personal opinion YES because they probably have a huge ammount of deffective ones, and throwing them away is not an option $$$$$$$$$$
    also they probably have a huge stock of deffective parts that probably cant be returned.
    furthermore, it is now rather clear majority of engines wont blow up while under warranty, so is not a problem for them.
    ps. also the tech asked me if after the repair is done i was going to sell the car, i told him yes, and he said, "yup, this cars hasnt been as good as they should", i was very surprised with such an honest statement, but not surprised with his opinion, he deals with these vehicles everyday, and probably he compares with 10-20 year old nissans and probably differences are immense., things that probably used to last 100k km, on these cars last 10k.
    Even my lawyer was surprised with the size of this problem, he had a 92 sentra for more than 10 years without a single breakdown (drives a german benz now lol).
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-12-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Matt
    Hope you feeling better

Below you will find the findings of your last inspection

-Checked oil pan for debris. None found at this time
    -Power balance test. (Normal)
    -Compression check cylinder
    #1 172 cylinder
    #2 174 cylinder
    #3 171 cylinder
    #4 176 cylinder

As it sits at this point, I have a short block on order for your vehicle as per tech line.
    The part is on back order. We are awaiting a release date of the part. Once this happens we will notify you to have the part installed.

Thank you
    Jennifer

So. I'm getting a new short block!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-13-2016)

Thanks
    Lol.. A back order eh. Well. Its good tho that they are sorting it out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (01-13-2016)

Thanks
    So to clarify, IMPUL: what's the official reason (problem found) for the replacement?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...