Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    My latest Micra Engine video after my service visit with a secured snorkel intake

ODO 3548km

This time it was diagnosed as "No abnormal noises heard from engine, did find the intake snorkel was making a rattling noise, secured intake snorkel"

Name:  1452218921878456405854.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  93.4 KB

Last edited by jgoedhard; 01-07-2016 at 09:37 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    you are leaving the rpm to stable.
    you need to to go in between 1900 and 2500 allways with some pressure on the gas pedal.
    in the versa video if you hear on good desktop computer speakers between 1.16-1.20 and 1.25-1.25 you can hear some knocking noises.
    i am sure if they perform cylinder cut test on that engine when they cut number 2 that slight knock/rumble noise will go away.
    same goes for your engine, need to make the knock test having the rpm fluctuating more and less steady, and a cylinder cut test will make the noise go away.

today i have found other nissans models with bearing problems with extremely low miles
    problem is also bad bearing size, and engine knocking when hot, definitely a worth reading.
    http://maxima.org/forums/7th-generat...-problems.html
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ties/index.htm

also renault in europe had problems with rod bearings in dci engines, failing with very low milleage.
    i bet they are buying this parts at a very convenient price, no matter how probably low quality they are.

about wheel bearing problem, i can confirm the march can be fitted with renault clio 2 (made in france) wheel bearings, these parts are much more high quality than the ones made in mexico, i dont know if that car was sold in canada, but maybe you can order the parts on internet from france.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-07-2016 at 11:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yeah, I didnt hear it in the video either. But the headliner rattle and bearing are things Ive had on my own micra. Must have been a bad run at the factory or something.

My knock seems to have vanished.. Weird.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Howie, how many km did you do on the new engine?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hmm... I would say about 7. She soon due for the first oil change. I havent driven it as much now that we have 2 cars. Mine mainly floats me to ottawa for appointments with the boys and around town. Long distance travel is done up to the jetta because.. Well with 5 kids a bigger trunk is nicer to have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

I'm waiting to get a copy of the techs notes, but so far I know that my oil pan was removed and reinstalled, and a compression test was performed as per the request of the "tech line".

Obviously they are suspicious of something as they keep escalating. Or it could just be that I blantanly told them I won't accept " just a normal noise" as a response. Either way I'm happy that they are doing what they can to properly diagnose my problem.

At the very least we will get a lot of info from Nissan as to what to look out for.

When this is done I want to know what were there red flags? The oil sample? The oil pressure( which seemed low to me)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    same as mine. The "Abnormal normal engine noise."

Now to do my conspiracy theory, they have obviously noticed a trend. They are using the same testing method. Maybe they are looking for a solution.

If it wasnt for the warranty, If just drop my own oil pan, check the bearing with plastigage and replace it. But.. Such is life.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    howie, you told after you left your new engine some days at the dealer when you got the car back noise seemed lower and now you think it has vanished.
    they are probably going for the "fast" ""fix"", replace the wrong size rod bearing.
    that is the solution factory suggested to fix the rod knock in the maxima.
    they also add as a note to the dealers "do not replace the engine".
    so probably they are doing that because they have realized that replacing engine or full internals in so many cars is too expensive.
    i am still waiting for the internals, dealer told me factory hasnt shipped them yet.
    if i have no news this next monday, will continue lawsuit because they are unable / dont want to fix my problem.
    IMPUL, has the noise changed after they removed the oil pan?? if yes, they probably replaced the faulty rod bearing, but i was confirmed by my dealer that is not a good fix, even the crankshaft has to be replaced in order to have a quality and reliable job done.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 01-09-2016 at 03:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    True. And yes, there is no logical explanation for why I think the noise has reduced and vanished. It could simply be a placebo effect. In fact it could indeed still be happening.

If they changed out the rod bearing the noise would have been gone instantly. I might have tuned the noise out "getting used to it" so to speak.

If that isnt the case it just seems odd to me.

I heard it.
    Mechanic heard it.
    Video linked into nissan.
    Nissan deems as normal.
    Noise seems to fade.

Going from the days when I used to play with chevy engines, when you check the bearing for tolerance and play you wiggle the connecting rod back and forth that you suspect. If you cant feel play, you take the caps off, plastigage it, put the caps back on, measure the gauge and then install the bearing of the correct size or have the crank machined to the next size bearing you have available.

Logic would tell me that if you measured it and saw it didnt fit, that you would install a new bearing that does at that time when you have it open already.

^Edited: Some techs use a micrometer, but still. If the spec is. .002mm and you know its out, that is a really good time to replace it.

Maybe thats what happened? I dunno. Impossible to tell what happened on the lift when they had the car for a week.
    Last edited by Howie; 01-09-2016 at 04:33 PM.

I know nothing was replaced or "worked" on per say. It was just to inspect. I'm thinking that there are concerned about it being the issue in the technical bulletin posted several pages back ( by the way can we get a better view of that sheet? )
    They keep concentrating on oil. Sample, pressure, inspection.. So lubrication is one of there concerns. If being able to lube a tight tolerance couldn't this be as simple as Nissan using 0w-30 ?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...