Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I have the headliner rattle myself. My fix was a pin inserted at a 45' angle (Specifically a poppy) so that the pin touched the metla of the roof.
    Howie do you have pictures ? My liner doesn't rattle yet

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    So the response I got to telling them it's in the brochure is.
    "There is a disclaimer that the product may not be exactly as shown, and the dealer reserves the right to make changes without any notice"

I think the calls have been coming in about free cabin filters.. What do you think?
    But thanks I'll use that on them anyways.

I'll tell you this. My experience was abit better then expected, but worse then I'd hoped.
    I got a free loaner car ( p.o.s. Auto sentra )
    But didn't get a filter, got accused of modifying the ecu, had my warrenty threatened, and was almost invoiced $1.90 labour for the mandatory safety recall, (e.g the plastic by your foot).

They actually thought that I was complaining about exhaust rattling.. The engine noise

Ya.. So I mod my car, remap the ecu, drop it on imported coilovers.
    But I'd show up with an exhaust rattle and claim rod knock.. ?!?

I really couldn't have felt more insulted by them.

They didn't even fix the rattle in the roof liner. Said since it takes awhile, we'll take care of that when you come back to get the engine fixed. Which at first I was taking as a positive.. Thinking cool she feels I'm going to get it fixed.
    Then thought wait... Was that a brush off like ( pft.. Cuz that'll never happen ) type deal?

It kinda feel like "CSR" talk "sounds great!, have a nice day" = eff you, go die somewhere

I'm calling them Friday if I don't hear from them, by then .
    let us know what nissan says about the engine knock, i curious to see if they will acknowledge and replace like others on here before i take mine in.

They acknowledged it already, but this is what they sent me today.

- We have spoken with HQ regarding your vehicle.
    They require the following…

*technician to confirm the abnormal noise exists in comparison to another Micra in stock
    *confirm oil pressure is with-in spec – mechanical gauge reading
    *power balance test to isolate the cylinder that is making the noise
    *any receipts for the oil changes – incudes invoices for parts purchased (if you’ve changed your own oil)

You may wait for the vehicle onsite while we perform the above inspections, as it shouldn’t take a long period of time.

The in-cabin filter has been authorized to be installed at goodwill to you.

The “Micra” name plate does not come standard on any Micra– If you wish to purchase this, we will happily order this for you.

Let me know when you are available next and we can find a suitable time that works for everyone

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Pete (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Maybe I should have bought another Chrysler instead. My current 2011 300 is just out of its 3 yr warranty on time and mileage and Chrysler had no bones about replacing the gear shift selector & its electronic ($600 value) to repair an issue with the car refusing to shut off. With Nissan questioning your oil changes one has to wonder why they even printed "do your own oil changes" in their manual if they're going to be pricks with demanding receipts for oil changes/parts. I'm am beginning to dislike this car manufacturer even though this is my first Nissan. I do like the car but not crazy about possible future screw overs if there is a warranty problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (12-04-2015)

technician to confirm the abnormal noise exists in comparison to another Micra in stock

This confuses me.

What if they are comparing to another broken engine?

If they are broken all the same... Are they just going to say .. Nope they all sound like that, that's just how they are.??!?

I believe I said the a oilpressure gauge would be good to have .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    So the response I got to telling them it's in the brochure is.
    "There is a disclaimer that the product may not be exactly as shown, and the dealer reserves the right to make changes without any notice"

I think the calls have been coming in about free cabin filters.. What do you think?
    But thanks I'll use that on them anyways.

I'll tell you this. My experience was abit better then expected, but worse then I'd hoped.
    I got a free loaner car ( p.o.s. Auto sentra )
    But didn't get a filter, got accused of modifying the ecu, had my warrenty threatened, and was almost invoiced $1.90 labour for the mandatory safety recall, (e.g the plastic by your foot).

They actually thought that I was complaining about exhaust rattling.. The engine noise

Ya.. So I mod my car, remap the ecu, drop it on imported coilovers.
    But I'd show up with an exhaust rattle and claim rod knock.. ?!?

I really couldn't have felt more insulted by them.

They didn't even fix the rattle in the roof liner. Said since it takes awhile, we'll take care of that when you come back to get the engine fixed. Which at first I was taking as a positive.. Thinking cool she feels I'm going to get it fixed.
    Then thought wait... Was that a brush off like ( pft.. Cuz that'll never happen ) type deal?

It kinda feel like "CSR" talk "sounds great!, have a nice day" = eff you, go die somewhere

I'm calling them Friday if I don't hear from them, by then .
    There is an old saying in the Grassroots motorsports circles..."If you want to play, you gotta pay." If you've modified your ECU, it's a safe bet you're "Playing," and therefore should not expect the manufacturer of your car to pay for the mistakes you've made while using your car in competitions.

I mean, let's be realistic...this is the cheapest new car you can buy brand new, and people like me who have always had a soft spot for the Micra have recognized that, stock, the 2015 Canadian Micra is pretty much at its limits, which makes it so delightful. Now you want to push it even further, and expect warranty coverage?

Seriously, it's a cheap car, it's easy to work on. If you're into motorsports, you should understand how to fix a Micra before dumping your problems on a dealership. It's really that simple.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

eddy (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    technician to confirm the abnormal noise exists in comparison to another Micra in stock

This confuses me.

What if they are comparing to another broken engine?

If they are broken all the same... Are they just going to say .. Nope they all sound like that, that's just how they are.??!?

I believe I said the a oilpressure gauge would be good to have .
    This is what they did when I had my engine diagnosed. I think its important that you be there with the mechanic when they are conducting the test on your Micra. When I had mine done I was there and able to hear the differences between about 10 Micras some of which had the knocking symptoms and some that didn't sound like they were knocking at all. There is a perceivable difference between an affected engine and a normal sounding one. Make sure they test against multiple Micras because it is very possible they will just test against another affected engine and not be able to tell a difference. Which then they'll say its just a normal operating sound and you'll proceed to lose your mind lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robm6981 For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    Maybe I should have bought another Chrysler instead. My current 2011 300 is just out of its 3 yr warranty on time and mileage and Chrysler had no bones about replacing the gear shift selector & its electronic ($600 value) to repair an issue with the car refusing to shut off. With Nissan questioning your oil changes one has to wonder why they even printed "do your own oil changes" in their manual if they're going to be pricks with demanding receipts for oil changes/parts. I'm am beginning to dislike this car manufacturer even though this is my first Nissan. I do like the car but not crazy about possible future screw overs if there is a warranty problem.
    This is not uncommon, nor has it been recent. In fact, there was a "King of the Hill" episode about the shrewd Hank Hill keeping all of his oil records: http://www.tv.com/shows/king-of-the-...r-hank-287171/

I absolutely guarantee you that your local Chrysler dealership will demand the same.

I do all of my own oil changes, and keep at least the bar code, or oil change record that comes with the oil filter, and record the date and mileage on each one and keep it in my glove box as a record of the oil change having being done. I can demonstrate each and every oil change I've done on my Micra being done on time. I also did the same when I owned a GM product under warranty, and a Chrysler product under warranty before that, which was the 1990's.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    There is an old saying in the Grassroots motorsports circles..."If you want to play, you gotta pay." If you've modified your ECU, it's a safe bet you're "Playing," and therefore should not expect the manufacturer of your car to pay for the mistakes you've made while using your car in competitions.

I mean, let's be realistic...this is the cheapest new car you can buy brand new, and people like me who have always had a soft spot for the Micra have recognized that, stock, the 2015 Canadian Micra is pretty much at its limits, which makes it so delightful. Now you want to push it even further, and expect warranty coverage?

Seriously, it's a cheap car, it's easy to work on. If you're into motorsports, you should understand how to fix a Micra before dumping your problems on a dealership. It's really that simple.
    Excuse me? I have NOT modified the ecu.
    That's the problem. They saw my SCANGAUGE, and thought that it was a programmer.

I have a intake designed and tested for the HR16DE that does not affect a/f ratio.
    I have the stock header and BOTH cats, so as to NOT affect backpressure.

So what have I modified? Nothing.

Just like using a Fram filter instead of Nissan , or pennzoil instead of mobile 1 or falken tire instead of Firestone..
    I have used an alternative part that is oem grade or higher.

Like ordering the heavy duty or performance grade products instead of el'cheapo brand like when ordering brake pads.

The operating conditions have been and are the same as OEM stock.

Secondly, what competitions? This noise has been around since new.

Four, one minute laps, while not driving harder then entering a highway did not create this problem.
    The problem already existed.
    Last edited by IMPUL; 12-03-2015 at 09:18 PM.

I have my used oil filters still and some used oil. And receipts from purchasing oil, and when I was at Nissan I had 2 jugs of oil in the back.
    I wrote down my first 2 changes in my service booklet, I didn't record the last 2.