Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    Oh I know this. But not all dealers will happily admit that.

Tomorrow I should know more about the fate of my micra.

Last edited by Howie; 10-18-2015 at 07:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So. The update from engineering. Once my reciept arrives in the post, Ill snap a picture of it. So at this point its only the lead mechanics word as he spoke to nissan and did the video stuff with them.

Engineering reports an "Abnormal normal engine noise" and it should be of no concern unless it manifests itself in a more loud fashion..

Abnormal normal engine noise. Now.. That is hilarious. Maybe they are noticing the problem and thats the 'normal' peice of it.

Just like with engine #1, drive er till it pops. .Wont change my hypermiling challenge however.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Maybe I should bring my car in now so when it sounds like your engine it would be real abnormal engine noise.

Would I have to take my car back to the original dealer for the engine or would any dealer just do?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Talked with my local dealer today.
    Cant have my engine overhauled until a new shipping of conecting rods arrives, they have run out of them, they have been fixing many engines.
    Dealer confirmed only full internals replacement fix the problem (at least they say is fixed), that means 4 pistons, rings, 4 conecting rods, all rod bearings, crankshaft, etc etc, only block and cylinder head are left stock.
    do not accept the overhaul if crankshaft is not replaced
    conecting rods will take around 30 days to arrive, after that will have the overhaul done and post video.
    after that will run some mileage with heavy foot to see if not burning oil/consuming coolant, and then, get rid of the car.

that "abnormal normal noise" without taking any action it is very irresponsible, flippant, in my opinion.
    but, at least you have warranty, but i think they know a well treated engine will last at least the warranty period, hope they loose a lot of money changing engines again and again besides the poor brand image they give and the loss of customer trust.
    in my case i will go ahead with the plan of leaving cards on windshield of parked hr16de equipped cars describing the problem, how to perform the knock test, loosing customer trust, in the long run is worse than loosing money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzagnr For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-20-2015)

Thanks
    Quite. For me I will take a quiet recess. It's been documented that at 34,000 km, I reported a defect in the engine, to which was confirmed. I will do as Nissan says and see if it get louder. Mysteriously enough, the knock seems to have subsided itself. I will have to see if this is due to something being replaced although I am nearly certain it is nothing more then a placebo in my own mind. With luck the engine will become bad just before warranty expiration and a revision sorted and installed by then. I a strange sort of way, waiting to have it sorted may pay in my favour. Replacing the engine now and running out of warranty leaves me with a 4 year old engine when the warranty runs up. Having a brand new one in just as I leave the warranty seems more logical as I intend to keep the micro for as long as safe. If they want me to use the system, then I will do it to my advantage. But people need to still go to dealers and report it so that if it is disputed later, then they can state it was brought up in warranty and was overlooked by Nissan, turning the fault back on them. Also it might motivate them to actually remedy the problem.

J, you are free to attend any dealership you wish, however Nissan prefers that you go back to the dealership you initially report the fault to. But ultimately it is your car. You can bring it to whatever Nissan shop you choose and the warranty will be honoured.
    Last edited by Howie; 10-20-2015 at 12:53 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (10-20-2015),LilGeckos (10-20-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    5 year warranty is rather good.
    here is only 3, and in colombia for example only 2, so will try to make my best to alert people about this preoblem, because as we suspect none dealer will tell you the engine throw a rod because of a factory defect if you are out of warranty.
    if they really took apart your engine to take some measures and you think the knock is less noticeable, i would not be surprised if they replaced rod bearings on the faulty cylinder, in mexico some dealers are doing that and not the full overhaul, is a temprary fix, but will keep the average customer happy, also they dont reckon it was a rod knock, they say it was a wrong size piece in the distribution.
    in your case as the miles go by you will probably be more sure about this hypothesis or if only was placebo, but keep an eye (or ear) on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thats whats crossed my mind too. Seems like nissan has already realized that replacing engines with defective engines is not a solution. Which to me says nissan global has stepped in.
    Time to create a solution, then fix. So yes get your cars in a tested for knock and documented.
    As it stands my dealer just send a notice for one-to-one service for a scheduled appt. nov 16th.
    So Ill give them a heads up about the knock and confirm that appt and a loaner car.
    I have some reciepts for my filters im sure ( somewhere in a safe spot) . I actually probably have the used filters still too lol.
    I wish I kept the used oil now. Hind sight am i right?
    I recorded the date and km of my oil changes in my service booklet also.
    But I guess that could be written whenever ... The condition and care seen in my car should be enough to
    Confirm that I both care about my car and can work on it. So oil changes are likely frequent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    I actually probably have the used filters still too lol.
    I wish I kept the used oil now. Hind sight am i right?
    If you have the old filters, there's probably enough residual oil in them to do a used oil analysis, if that's what you're thinking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    ^Impul, Exactly. I suppose its just best to sit and wait for a solution. Because yes. Tossing in a new motor isnt fixing it. Its quite a considerable amouint of engines they might have to repair.

Thanks
    Now that ive learner alot from this thread I am noticing the knocking sounds when I drive everyday. When u go from idling at a light and start driving I hear the knocking sometimes although quiet and other times loud. I am wondering what the long term effect is of this as driving the car seems fine at highway speeds and such.

I am hesitant at taking to dealer cause I don't wanna be told that it is OK and nothing wrong idk just nervous but I guess it's our right since it's under warranty.

IMPUL I am really curious to test our cars side by side and see the difference in sound if any.