Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I believe that a lawsuit would be very hard to do in this case. I am not in any means a lawyer. All I do know is that they are obligated by the warranty to fix the car. And give me a loaner in certain circumstances. And thus far they have stood by their word and repaired it. I haven't paid a cent in the process, it really isn't causing me emotional damage or anything like that. The only thing it has costed me is a few hours of my day dealing with it. But you are in a different country and have different laws and such. Usually lawsuits happen when they dont fix it. So far as I can tell, they are doing well in that department. So good on ya Nissan. We just have to be a little more patient.
    I see your point and understand, but see this.
    1- engine replaced, problem not fixed.
    Are they going continue swaping engines?? You can say they are unable to fix the problem that way and denny to that.
    2- overhaul the engine.
    If they do this and lets say they fail again.
    Dont you think they are showing an imposibility to fix the problem?? Thats were the lawsuit (at least here) can be done
    Also in the brouchure and user manual of the car it does not says the car will come with that knock, if they say that before people buy the car, will you buy it anyway???.
    3- you can take into court other people report and try to prove this is not an isolated problem.
    I know in the states works more or less like that, but maybe in canada its different, i just was saying my point.
    Hopefully they will have some answers.

Last edited by gonzagnr; 10-17-2015 at 08:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    This morning I talked to a young fella with a Micra working at Timmy's regarding of a possible engine problem and to come look on here. I couldn't believe he had the same car as me but I think his was standard. To the guy "sorry for breaking the news to you if your engine knocks as well."

I haven't got my NEW engine hot enough but I think I'm losing my mind with the knocking because I'm hearing it knock just above 2000rpms or its the injectors. Synthetic oil sure does change the sounds on the engine and it was cooler this morning also, so that played a big part in it.
    Last edited by jgoedhard; 10-17-2015 at 03:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    This morning I talked to a young fella working at Timmy's regarding of a possible engine problem and to come look on here. I couldn't believe he had the same car as me but I think his was standard. To the guy "sorry for breaking the news to you if your engine knocks as well."

I haven't got my NEW engine hot enough but I think I'm losing my mind with the knocking because I'm hearing it knock just above 2000rpms or its the injectors. Synthetic oil sure does change the sounds on the engine and it was cooler this morning also, so that played a big part in it.
    here nissan cars use 100% synthetic oil since day 1, 5w40, knocking as hell, mobil 1 or elf, i dont remember, but 100% synthetic.
    have a look on my engine with less than 1.000km, synthetic oil
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9cGXMIK7Yg
    at present is knockin much worse, will have the overhaull done probably next week.

only thing you can do to be rather sure is not knocking is:
    hot engine, camera under oil pan, cross fingers, and perform the test.
    from my experience, serie 88 engine knock less than 7x series, i have hard live an 87 almost brand new, and was knocking yes, but 50% less than my car when it was 200km, but it was same noise, same rpm, hot engine, same load on accelerator, what a coincidence.
    but peform the test with the camera to be sure.
    ps. as i said some time ago, a friend of mine, whom is mechanical engineer told me 4 cylinder engines with slight rod bearing problems knock mostly under light load and start to knock at 2k rpm because of their structure (in terms of design) and the effect that has on harmonics and resonances, sorry for such a basic explanation, but i am not used to used technical english terms, is not easy to find the words lol
    ps2. another test for the knock is cylinder disconecto with a good diagnosis tool, cut cylinder 2 perform the test, if knock is reduced at least 70%, engine is not good.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 10-17-2015 at 03:25 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    What do you guys think.
    I got the car at 1240km on the odo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    well i think is similar to anonymus new engine (probably yours knock little less to me), but yours has 500km, and anonymus 1500, so adding some mileage to it will be a good idea.
    also on this video i think you were a little agressive on throttle, you must apply pressure more gently and progressive and keep rpm up and down, but allways with some load on the accelerator to make the rod to "float" and if some loosenes is there, it will produce the knock.
    at 0.34-0.41 i can hear a jack hammering sound, lets see if others agree with me.
    as the miles go by, according to hunt nissan report those oil particles probably will result in a major gap between bearing and crank, so knock will be more audible.
    so to sum up, i think you need to add some mileage to it, but if i have to make a bet, in my personal opinion, is knocking a little bit.

Thanks
    Maybe... Its hard to tell at this point. I don't really hear it. Toss another 1000km onto her and see if it manifests louder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    What do you guys think.
    I got the car at 1240km on the odo.
    This sounds very similar to my replacement engine. The knocking is barely perceptable but once in awhile it will manifest itself and become louder depending on engine conditions. I agree with Anonymous just put some more mileage on it and see if it becomes more noticeable over time.

So i made 3 voice memo recording, 1 from the drivers seat with the microphone angled towards the engine and held under the car.
    And 2 others under the oil pan mircophone facing 2 different ways.

I trimmed the recording down to a couple spots where the sound is clear and obvious.

I would like to do the same test but turning off the second cyl. I belive its called a power balance test
    In most tools and softwear.

When you do the test, you shut off 1 cyl at a time.
    If the engine bogs down and you notice a difference then its a good thing. Especially when the power loss is the same across the board.

If you shut off a cyl and nothing happens then that cyl hasnt been working and the engine has been altering itself to compensate for that.

In this case, we'd be looking to see when that sound disappears.

So i should be able to shut off 1,3,4 and lose power and have the noise get worse.

Then shut off 2 and have the noise go away.

If I can do that then Id feel better about taking my car in and saying my cars got this.

Just cause If i dont show them up front that its the same problem they might hum-n-ha about the intake and exhaust and then sluff me off at first. Maybe even bill me or something. I dont want that.

Im about to change my oil. So im going to clean my catch pan and collect and debris i find. But its my 3rd change now so.. I probably already filtered and drain a bunch.

I have to say I have no real idea how they'd deal with my car yet, I just dont want them saying "void" when its not even modded and at 18k km I couldnt have done this with and intake/exhaust if I tried.

Plus Ive used top tier gas and oil and filters since day 1

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I think if you have done the oil changes yourself with your own parts, then they may try to dart behind that as an excuse.

The worst case is they say no. But the best way is to go into your dealer and speak to them about it. Im not sure where you live.. But if youre in the belleville area my dealership is well aware of the problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    You can do your own oil and be within warranty. You just need receipts. That was direct from my dealer, then they swayed me with cheap oil changes.

Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18