Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

The tech note are very interesting because it confirms what we already know.
    Seems very spoon fed tho. Like they knew without looking. Hence, why I THINK there was a
    Internal memo sent. So they can monitor and scale the issue. That bill is totally red flagged and has been sent to Nissan Canada
    ( merely speculation, but highly likely)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I think so too. My first engine replacement required 2 visits to diagnose. This time it was one visit and the tech had it figured out. - That being said- it was the same tech as the first engine, so he kinda knew what he was looking for. Now Nissan wanted video and measurements. I'm thinking that yes, somewhere, some way, some how, Nissan is very aware of the issue. And I second what IMPUL is saying as it makes sense to me.

You think you got a problem... Well what is the problem. How big is the problem.

Again. Ive no proof of this, just speculating. I guess we will know as more time goes on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

I mean If 10 ppl come to them and say are engine are broke. And the other 1,000,000 ppl with the engine dont know or dont care and arent complaining then no harm no foul. Replace those engines 20 times .. Its cheaper.
    But if a bunch have the issue and the owner makes nissan aware, then they really know. And will do something about it.
    Till that threshold is reached, standard corperate procedure is deny,deny,deny.. Then quietly fix. Hasnt anyone else seen erin brockovich... ( im in no way relating nissan to that horrible story )

They dont know they have a problem to fix, if we dont tell them we have a problem.

You ever work at a place where dayshift doesnt get the nightshifts memos and vice versa ( pun intended ) well nissan is split up in to so many different levels. Independant dealers, Hq, nissan japan, nissan global, etc.

engines built in mexico, ordered by nissan japan, for cars being bought by dealers in canada ..

So many different liabilities. Who made the decision to use that bearing on #2cyl, or who spec'd the blocks to that tolerence?

Was the bearing ACTUALLY the right bearing? Was there a colourblind( legit question ) q&a inspector.

It will be months before a REAL solution is released. They need to know the severity and scale of the problem and most importantly who to blame, then how to fix it .

Till then "free lifetime engine replacements" is what you should push for with the people trying to make this better for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Dear Nissan, if you are reading this if the problem is the HR16DE engine, itstead of replacing it with another HR16DE which likely has the same flaw, why not offer us the original engine this car was made for. :

The HR12DDR is a 1.2 L supercharged straight-3 engine. It produces 72 kW (97 hp) and 143 N·m (105 ft·lbf). Designed for small-car applications, this gasoline engine incorporates a variety of technologies to minimize CO2 emissions while providing practical levels of power output.[2][3]

Some of the pertinent features are:

Compression ratio of 13:1
    Continuous Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
    Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG)
    Miller cycle
    Supercharged
    Variable capacity oil pump
    Hydrogen-free diamond like carbon(DLC) coated valve lifters and piston rings
    Sodium filled exhaust valves
    High efficiency
    It is fitted to the following vehicles:

2010 Nissan Micra
    2012 Nissan Note
    - wiki

I for one would opt for this solution.
    **cough, cough... ** pretty please with a cherry on top

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-16-2015)

Thanks
    Its certainly possible. Hard to say if it would marry up to the transmissions, or the computer... exhaust...

But, if Mitsubishi can get away with a non supercharged triple in the Mirage... Just sayin..

What about a little diesel? My car sounds like it has one anyway. Might as well just toss one in. If you hang an air freshener off the tailpipe it would probably beat VW emissions too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-16-2015)

Thanks
    CVT transmission would be sweet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    Got my car back. Time will tell if it knocks.Attachment 1644Attachment 1645
    Well your dealer confirm technical tip, and what dealer told me here, problem is wrong size of rod bearing.
    what really surprises me is that only after 700km of knocking engine running, there is already metal particles on the oil, thats really show how harmfull for the engine this problem is.
    as i told you, your engine number is serie 88 5204H
    Anonymus new engine number is serie 88 5216H, they are probably from the same batch, so having a knock test done is a good idea.

Here is another one from colombia, hr83 series, knock is not that audible because he has decat exhast and cai intake (1.12-1.25 very clear though).
    after installing stock parts, dealer still denny the problem and told him "dont bealive what people say on internet"

Also i am sharing a link to a facebook forum from mexico, i am in contact with this guy, i am going to translate his comment
    https://www.facebook.com/hugo.chavez...3702402669270/
    comments on video are about premature water pump failure, some say they had it replaced ad 4k km, others at 8k km, on the video you can hear the noise of deffective pump, this is the first time i hear about this problem, but is good to know and be aware.
    Original comment: Luis Fernando: "El mio a los 4 meses le cambiaron el motor por defecto de la cadena de distribución eso fue a los 10000 y ahora llevo 30000 con el motor nuevo y empieza a hacer ruido como un vocho"

English: "i had my engine replaced at 4 month BECAUSE OF THE TIMMING CHAIN, that was at 10k km" (LOOOOOOOOOL, an engine replaced because of timming chain that did not brake, many dealers in mexico are saying to people this noise is timming chain, some replace the engine, others dissasembly the engine and replace internals as the technical tip says, but THEY DONT TELL THE OWNERS they overhauled the engine)
    continue: "now i have done 30k km with the new engine and is making the same noise, which is like a vw fusca (vw fusca = vocho in mexico, escarabajo in south america)
    those fuscas have a very distinctive idle, is like a rattle, i think the comparisson is rather accurate for those who know how fusca sounds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I can believe it. If debris from the failed part is circulating through the engine, the oil becomes a wonderful abrasive material. Allthough the oil filter and sump screen would pick it up, there is a definite possibility of it causing damage to other parts within the lubrication system, plugging oil jets and small ports and such.

Anyway. News from my situation. The measurements are done, and the videos have been submitted. The results have been sent to "Engineering." which I can only assume is Nissan's engineers, or R&D teams. The decision to replace my engine or not has not yet been made.

Now, being an optimist, this is good news. The second engine developing issues this quickly after replacement has definitely raised some eyebrows beyond the tech lines. I think Nissan is starting to realize that this isn't just an isolated defect and if its gone to engineering, it leads me to think that the techs are now ringing the doorbell of the engineers and designers saying, "Uh.. Your part doesnt work." The downside of this is, that if the part is engineered defective, then all those parts will be defective. Maybe its a badly casted part or poorly milled. Created out of spec. Either way, these engine replacements are costing someone money, and if it isn't the customer- then its the company and the fastest way to fix something is to bury it, or fix it quickly and quietly.

If you got a knock, bring it to your Nissan dealer. Let's give them a scope of how big the scale of the problem is. The bigger it is, the quicker we get a permanent solution and we can all get back to the important stuff- Enjoying our Micras.
    Last edited by Howie; 10-17-2015 at 12:12 AM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

Anyway. News from my situation. The measurements are done
    So your second engine has been disassembled to take measurements of rod bearing clearences etc???. if yes, is going to be overhauled??

Here they have done that on some engines, all with the same wrong size rod bearing, in 1 or 2 weeks will have a report on paper with extreme details on it about the measurements done (requested by the factory)
    Also will have my own engine overhauled and will share results, if the outcome is not good, will continue the lawsuit.
    if result is acceptable, is more difficult to win the lawsuit because they have proven they can "fix" the problem, so will sell the car (wont sell it with a rod knock, i wont do the same they do).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Exactly what they measured and what they didnt, I have no idea as I wasn't there. But I would guess yes. Probably the clearance, perhaps. It sits in the maintenance bay right now, waiting for Nissan to make its decision if they want to repair the defective part, or replace the entire engine again. However the measurements have been sent to the engineering department, which is much higher then the tech line level it was before. They even did some video conferencing..

I believe that a lawsuit would be very hard to do in this case. I am not in any means a lawyer. All I do know is that they are obligated by the warranty to fix the car. And give me a loaner in certain circumstances. And thus far they have stood by their word and repaired it. I haven't paid a cent in the process, it really isn't causing me emotional damage or anything like that. The only thing it has costed me is a few hours of my day dealing with it. But you are in a different country and have different laws and such. Usually lawsuits happen when they dont fix it. So far as I can tell, they are doing well in that department. So good on ya Nissan. We just have to be a little more patient.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Pete (10-17-2015)