Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    Im hoping so. Next week when the car goes in, Nissan has requested a battery of tests for the mechanic to do. The first time they just swapped it without asking questions. This time, they want more information. So the issue has definitely raised their attention. What I do know for sure is that the Nissan Canada person told me the issue has been raised to the higher level for further examination. 2 Engines in the same car, and a few others popping up across the country will raise some corporate eyebrows and likely lead to them looking into the plant- No company wants to spend money if they dont have to, and replacement engines and rental cars are not a cost effective way.

So I think Nissan is definitely noticing a trend, and mine just so happens to be the first one with 2 engines gone as far as they know. But once more come in I'm sure they will work harder to fix it.

But I think we have one thing nailed down- they need some polish on the quality control side- how they do that is up to them. But it would save them a lot of money down the road.

Now from what I was told up here by my dealer, his techs get paid the full amount for labor here to promote proper repair. Really the only time the dealer isn't making any money is if the bay sits empty. Now this is probably different in other countries of course. Hell, probably different in different provinces.

I will however ask the tech to go over the car with a fine toothed comb- anything that seems out of wack, replace it. While they are doing the engine testing, that is a really good time to fix things.

At this point, an overhaul woulnt be so bad. Having a qualified mechanic replace the piston, crank and rod with some good old fashioned trained eyes probably would be good. The question is- what does nissan want to do?

Last edited by Howie; 10-09-2015 at 01:12 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    It might come as a surprise to you but most people don't have any problem with their Micra. It's only a small minority that does. Does it mean that Nissan is worse than other car manufacturers? and that others manufacturers don't have bad engines from time to time? All those cars are mass produced, so I guess all manufacturers have these issues.

I rented my car so if it does have problems at the end of the road, I will return and buy something else. Personaly I had a lot more problems with GM and Ford and we had to replace an engine on a Ford Bronco when it was 75,000km, just out of warranty. We had to pay 5k to replace the engine and it was only 6 year old. One year later and we had to replace the transmission, another 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    Hope your engine doesn't go south on you Dani.. Id like to hear what lovely things you'd have to say about Nissan if it did. Oh right you'd just complain "Bash" like everyone else affected.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

time out

I'm banning gonzagnr (temporary) because he's putting this forum at risk by continuing to post unsubstantiated speculation & arguably libellous statements (which I have been removing). Not to mention generally poisoning the atmosphere around here for the majority of owners who aren't having problems. (Sorry about that, Dani.)

I want to say THANKS to members who are trying to keep a level head about this by letting us know facts and outcomes that can potentially help other owners.

Gonzagnr has posted some good info in this thread. Hopefully when his time-out expires, he'll settle down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (10-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I wish i could drop the pan and do some measurements myself. Or even look at the design. Maybe there is something we can see. With the engines heading back to Nissan, they must be doing some sort of R&D as to why...

It seems to be a failure on the #2 rod. But why number 2 specifically? I was originally thinking it might be some kind of lubrication issue specific to that cylinder that causes the bearing to fail. Maybe a journal is drilled too small.

One member was mentioning there is a coolant hookup nearby. Does someone have the tech manual for the HR16DE?

NVM Found one. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/563...an-Engine.html

Lets have a look see here.
    I said the cold coolant enters by cyl 2 you can see it when you look at the oil filter

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    It might come as a surprise to you but most people don't have any problem with their Micra. It's only a small minority that does. Does it mean that Nissan is worse than other car manufacturers? and that others manufacturers don't have bad engines from time to time? All those cars are mass produced, so I guess all manufacturers have these issues.

I rented my car so if it does have problems at the end of the road, I will return and buy something else. Personaly I had a lot more problems with GM and Ford and we had to replace an engine on a Ford Bronco when it was 75,000km, just out of warranty. We had to pay 5k to replace the engine and it was only 6 year old. One year later and we had to replace the transmission, another 3k.
    I think what you meant to say is most people don't realize they have a problem with their Micra's yet. Dont worry i get where your coming from with the whole every car company has their fair share of screw ups thing. I just don't like when people have self righteous attitudes and think that they would act any differently if they were thrust into the same situation. Like i said.. Hope your engine doesn't go south on you. Because it wont be as easy to get rid of as you think. And it sucks you had to pay so much to replace your Bronco i would dislike Ford if i went through that to. But complaining/comparing about a 6 year old vehicle needing repairs as opposed to a Brand new 0km on the odometer vehicle is not the same at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robm6981 For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    I think what you meant to say is most people don't realize they have a problem with their Micra's yet.
    You're implying that most Micras are defective, which is 100% speculation on your part. We simply don't know that. Stick to facts, please.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Hmm. Looks like the bearings in these things are pretty standard.. There is an oil journal on the block that has a small hole in it to feed the bearing and lube the cap. There is also an oil hole on the top of the connecting rod that feeds the top of the bearing as well. All the bearings are common crush bearings. It is possible debris from that might get into the oil journals and plug it.

Also interesting to note is the standard play is .098 - .26mm, the limit is .3mm.. That is a really really small amount. The clearance required is .024-.034 of a mm. Were talking, stupid small.

End point is that the engine has two ways for oil to get to that bearing, and the clearance is tight. The fact that these are going at varying mileages leads me to think there is something not being filtered out or perhaps gunk deposits. Maybe improper cleaning at the assembly line or they simply aren't big enough. Perhaps deposits are forming during break in?

I still think the NC is likely investigating this. The fix is probably stupidly simple too.

I don't think that this is an abuse/underuse thing either. The micra's that raced at the cup or the targa would all have it as well, and we haven't heard anything from that camp yet.

Maybe it was an extremely dusty day in Mexico.. Or perhaps the wrong bearings were installed at the factory, they are color coded for a reason to take up the gap...
    Theres just 1 spec of bearing?! Hummm.
    Usually there are multiple colour codes
    So they can use ones specific to that engines tolerences. Or it that different now with these newer engines?

Either way, the thing that made me think when you said how small the gap is..

These are torqued when decked. The head straightens the block. So, what if, the tightest engines, and 2 is warping cause of the coolant changing that cylinder at a different rate.

Maybe just the shear shock of being assembled in hot mexican factory then shipped to fridged canada.

Too me. The fact that its #2 cyl. Says design flaw. Not assembly error.
    If it was a bad day, or a bad batch of bearings, or poor assembly or something.

It would be all over the place #4 or #3. Always #2 so far. Hmmm...

Im going to change my oil tomorrow and do a test.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Anyone done used oil analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Anyone done used oil analysis?
    Where should I take mine to ... Learn me something
    I know of this thing you speak, but dont know where to go, or how much I should pay.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    Hope your engine doesn't go south on you Dani.. Id like to hear what lovely things you'd have to say about Nissan if it did. Oh right you'd just complain "Bash" like everyone else affected.
    We actually have an engine in Canada that went south?
    We have an engine that failed?
    Uncle RODney actually made an external appearance?
    Micra oil and coolant have hit the ashphalt of a Canadian road or track?
    To most people "engine went south" means exactly that.
    Da dog gon ting blowd op.
    My engine sounds awful if I do the "knock test"
    Nissan has a few of the pulled engines now and these things can take some time with the whole chain of loyalty thing.
    Hopefully this issue is resolved soon.
    l have 61,000 on mine and it runs, drives and sounds exactly the same as day one.
    If anyone is going to have an engine go south one would think it would happen to a higher mileage micra.
    If I put my phone under my car in the driveway and rev my engine 1750-3000 rpm it sounds like me on the drum kit.
    Not music to anyone.
    I am waiting for a visit from uncle RODney but no sign of him yet.
    If my oil or coolant hit the road I will post.
    Until then if the sound of my engine while driving bothers me (which it doesn't) I will turn the radio up and hammer down.
    That's all I got to say about that.
    Coors light.
    Cheers.