Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    55 000 km no knock J. Someone may have more km. than me maybe alpha micra not sure but his is not knocking either. I find it a bit odd that lilgeckos and anonymous both have had wheel bearing issues and engine knock.Micra QC and micra s have had the wheel bearing issues and so far in Canada all knocking engines have been on automatic tranny's please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Pete; 09-09-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    Related thread. I'll bump it out of interest.

Thread: How many kilometers/km on your Micra so far?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay gonzagnr. Here is the info on my car:
    Manufactured: 05/2014, HR16DE1598-CC
    Serial on engine: *HR16*743623J.
    The car is an automatic.
    I would like to thank whoever it was who posted the picture of where to look on the engine for the serial. It is easy to see once you know what it looks like. I got the manufacturing info from the sticker by the driver side door.
    **EDIT** Car bought in June 2014. I'm not very happy about this problem.
    Last edited by LilGeckos; 09-10-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    thanks for the info, hopefully maybe some day the problem is fixed 100%.
    but as i said before, some engines with 87 series are still knokcing, so its a very weired thing because some 7 series are not knocking, some are, on another forum in chile there are at least 100 members with 7 serie engine, a not a single one is knocking.
    in my opinion nissan knows very well which engines are good, and ones are bad and know where they have been sold.
    i also know how you feel, because i feel the same.
    in my opinion best thing is to have engine fixed (or repplaced in canada) and get rid of the car, at least before warranty ends.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    (Canadian sold Micras only)

Affected Members so far:
    RobM - Engine Replaced
    Anonymous - Engine Replaced
    OneTwoKombo - Status Unknown
    LittleGekos - Problem discovered

So 4 so far we know have the knock. That means at least 2 cases where nissan has replaced engines, so I think they certainly know, but it isnt TSB worthy yet... YET.

Gekos. I suggest if you can, you can feel free to add to my complaint with Nissan Canada.. It is # 3879549... I had to contact Nissan Canada about the issue, then next time I went in, the problem was discovered.

Dealerships make a lot more money on out-of-warranty repairs then in-warranty repairs. The more time you spend with your warranty car tying up a technician and bay, the less the dealership makes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    As noted in another thread.

Unofficial knock test procedure.

Recommended testing area should be with the front of the car in a garage, or close to a wall so sound can be reflected up to your ears.

1) Car in Neutral With Park Brake On.
    2) Start Car, idle to normal operating temperature.
    3) Place smart phone/camera/audio recorder on ground under front bumper near oil pan, recording
    4) Slowly depress accelerator pedal to 1100 rpm and hold, then press slightly more to gradually increase to 2400rpm
    5) Repeat step 4 a few more times.
    6) Start from idle and increase to 2400rpm, varying between light accelerator pressure to heavy 'blips' of the trottle to 2400 RPM (I found this most obvious)
    7) Review captured audio/video.

Alternate method - On road test

1) Allow engine to reach normal operating temperature.
    2) Roll down all windows.
    3) Radio off
    4) A/C off
    5) Headlamps and other electrical loads off.
    6) Find an area that has high curbs and accelerate from 0-20 kph, attempt to hold the car in 1st gear before 1-2 shift for autos (Or select L for autos)
    7) Starting off from a stop and making hard right and left turns (think 4 way stop) seems to make the sound more pronounced.

If you have the knock:

Report the defect to Nissan Canada, use my customer service complaint #3879549 if you need or they state its never been reported before. They will steer you at a dealership but now at least NC is aware. Bring the car to the dealership for evaluation with a print out of this thread. Dont loose your cool. If you dont get the result you want, call Nissan back and request another dealership. They prefer to keep the problem with one dealership. In other words, you notice the issue and bring the car to say... Kingston Nissan, then they want you to finish there.

If you do not have the knock:

I reccomend periodically checking for the knock. Some engines exhibit it shortly after break in. Some like mine, didnt manifest until 15,000km, and didn't get loud enough to be noticed until 34,000km. Patience is key.

The only way we are going to get recognition of the problem and a solution to the original manufacturing defect is to keep badgering Nissan Canada and making the problem obvious to them. Failing that and if we find enough Micras with the same issue, then perhaps a more public route is ideal. But first we need to find out how serious the problem really is. We need more micra owners to do this test so we can get a better idea on how bad the issue is. We noticed that when the trim panel caused a possible safety issue and discussed it on the site, how fast a recall came flying out the doors like it was on fire. It is entirely possible that NC could be watching this thread and/or forum.

What I want to see is Nissan renewing the warranty from the replacement date. So if the engine is bolted in at 10000 km, the warranty on it should last until 110,000kms. Maybe a buy-back/upgrade program. A make-better program with oil changes for life for free to help put a little more confidence back in our minds. Something.

The idea here is to get the attention of Nissan and get this resolved quietly before a lawyer has his Micra go sour and launching a class-action, or going to Transport Canada about it. We love our Nissans and we don't want this to deter new owners from joining the club.
    Last edited by Howie; 09-11-2015 at 12:26 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (09-11-2015),LilGeckos (09-16-2015),MetroMPG (09-11-2015),ptbo micra (09-11-2015),Robm6981 (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    great post anonymus.
    time to get normal engine temperature at idle is around 20 minutes, the warmer the engine, the louder the knock.
    make this test periodically after a couple of thousand miles to check, because some engines knock since brand new, but other start knocking after some mileage, and maybe other will never knock.
    also remember knock is comming from cylinder 2, you can confirm this using a proffesional auto scanner tool and performing a cylinder cut test, and when cylinder 2 is shut off when doing the knock test, you will notice the knocking sound is almost gone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've really been considering trying to get this issue more known aswell.. Nissan knows damn well what is up and they're without a doubt watching this thread. The owner and Service Manager of the dealership i got my car from in Calgary were made aware of this forum aswell, so im sure one of them has said something to NC about it. I've been in contact with a show that's run by Global News Calgary called 16x9 and they investigate shady things done by Businesses/Corporations just like this and get the word out to the public. Nothing has come of it yet but I just really want some accountability for this issue and not just when it manifests.. Its not a matter of IF someone else's car is going too develope this problem its a matter of WHO and WHEN.. And thats just not fair for a company to sell a vehicle when they know full and well of the possibilities of this problem happening and not even have the respect for their customers to put out a TSB. I just really dont want anyone else going through the headache of this whole situation when it can be avoided

Also something else.. I was at my dealership yesterday getting my oil/filter changed and i was shootin the **** with the service coordinater who i've become friendly with over the years. He was telling me there was another Micra that came in not too long ago with the knocking and had to have the same replacement done.. just something i found a little interesting.. Makes me think of how many are out there that aren't apart of this forum and have had this problem.
    Last edited by Robm6981; 09-12-2015 at 02:19 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robm6981 For This Useful Post:

gonzagnr (09-13-2015),LilGeckos (09-16-2015)

Thanks
    I am so glad I found this thread! I have been complaining to Nissan (in Calgary, and I have gone in twice now for the same problem, there is a rattling noise in the front area of the car, among MANY other problems like the brakes sinking and the car vibrating) but the dealership keeps pretending they don't hear it. I have only used 5300 kms (I have had the car since November 2014) and have been looking at trading it in but they are attempting to rip me off so if the Global News investigation goes through I am more than happy to help with that.

I will try to call Nissan Corporate on Monday, maybe that will help?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azadeht For This Useful Post:

Howie (09-12-2015),LilGeckos (09-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thank you for coming foreward Azadeht. So now that makes 5 owners that we know of.

Admin, is there some way we can get a fairy accurate idea of how many people here have canadian micras? What Im trying to figure out is the percentage of the forum that has them so we can say, 5/100. or 5%. Or if its say... 5/62 then we can figure 8%. As a rough estimate of failure rate.