Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow a lot of posts on this topic, I'm not too happy with this issue. I hope Nissan did not mess up and engine that has been around for years. Otherwise a great little car would recommend to anyone that wants great MPG, and hopefully no engine noises...OUCH!!!

Thanks
    My guess is it was probably just a bad day at the factory perhaps. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. Just random ones. I still have little to complain about with my little maus.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Highly doubt it was just a bad day at the factory lol.. My thoughts are that some faulty component was put into the engine unknowingly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robm6981 For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (08-28-2015)

Thanks
    ^ I hate to say it, but I agree with this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    2 new cases in argentina
    dual injector nissan note hr16*86 series engine knocking
    single inyector hr16-87 series engine knocking nissan march

probably they are still having some bad days in the factory lol.
    in my opinion they have bought a huge amount of defective rod bearings or rod caps (probably they did not know they were defective) and now a lot of engines are knocking.
    think will let the dealer open the engine, replace all internals like nissan document says and if the knock goes away or is greatly reduced sell the car (should have done this since day 1, is a shame because besides this "little" problem is a nice car)
    in my opinion and after talking with a lot of people and sharing videos, some engines knock a lot, others have a very minor rattle very hard to notice but is still there and under SAME circunstances, that probably will end up in the knock after some milleage and some are fine, god knows why.

about the numers near oil dip stick, a 2012 chile NOT knocking march has
    "3HC"
    "#3C"
    car has 40k km driven very hard.
    so probably engine knocking is not related to this numbers, and as we can see not related with engine number, think is a lottery.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 09-01-2015 at 05:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robm6981 View Post
    Highly doubt it was just a bad day at the factory lol.. My thoughts are that some faulty component was put into the engine unknowingly, and was at some point discovered by Nissan and swept under the rug in hopes of saving their reputation and most importantly their bottom line. It always comes down to the almighty $$$$.. Nissan or the engine manufacturer know exactly what is happening gaurenteed.. They will just never let us the general public find out. They def dont wanna become the next Fiat/Chrysler fiasco. Just my opinion.
    100% agree with you.
    rob i have sent you a PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well Gonzagnr; my car has that knock between 1700 and 2100 too. I did the "rev test" back in the spring and noticed it so the knock could have been there earlier. About 11000kms at the time. Mentioned it but nothing done about it. Today at 19600km still there. They "will continue to monitor" which likely translates into not going to fix. With my car at least it isn't noticeable under normal driving conditions which means that for a lot of others they won't notice the problem either. Car runs perfectly otherwise.

I was also told that there were no engine replacements done in Canada yet on the Micras. There are also no bulletins for this problem. Go figure??

This makes three Canadian cars with this defect that we know of? 100 cars in the Micra forum garage so this translates into a 3% defect rate? That would be a lot of cars. As I understand it, the same motor is used in the Versa Note.

Also for Anonymous, I had a wheel bearing fixed under warranty at the 15000km mark. That was a surprise for sure. I wouldn't expect these problems with a new car this early in its life; barely a year old. I don't abuse it. I guess the warranty is good for small fixes anyway. This really takes the shine off the new car feeling. I will no longer be recommending the car to people. At the moment, the next new car I get in 3 to 4 years, provided this one lasts that long, certainly won't be a Nissan. They don't stand behind the product they sell.

Thanks
    Dear LilGeckos, sorry to hear that.
    on page 18 you can find a nissan tip with a description of the problem, is in spanish but apply to all hr16, also you have rob and anonymus report after engine replaced.
    as i said before, some engines knock more, some engines knock less, but you can be sure that more than a 3% engines are knocking.
    if you drive with the radio turned on or on highway, 99% sure you wont notice the knock.
    about the wheel bearing, is also a common failure, you can check on latin american forums, someo had reported that problem at 3000 km, INSANE, also shock absorbers with damage at 3000km, you can check at opinautos website (spanish language).
    personally i will get the engine repaired under warranty (new pistons, rings, crank, bearings, rods, etc) and sell the car and get a swift sport zc32 100% made in japan, thats a bulletproof car, they rent those in the nurburgring, 600.000km done, 1 engine failure at 70.000km in only 1 car and that was because of over reving the engine during a downshift (more than 8700 rpm), very solid car (you can check this info on google).
    in your case, push the dealer, show them this thread.
    LilGeckos, is your car auto or manual?? when did you purchase the car (date) and can you share with us the engine number, to see if its serie 7 or 8 and the final letter after the number
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 09-05-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Well, it appears that the engine number has no relation with car manufacturing date.
    a guy from mexico has a 2013 march with engine serial number hr16*87 ending with E, not knocking at 60k km.
    and as i said before a guy from colombia has a 2015 with 82 serie engine knocking, and in argentina 87 series knocking.
    another number from chile, not knocking, 2013 car, single injector.
    hr1674 ending in G
    what a mess.
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 09-07-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks
    it would be interesting to know whats the highest mileage micra on forum without having the knock and it engine series and last letter.