Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Finally! A tech at Nissan has confirmed the noise and is contacting Nissan tech line to see how they want to replace the engine. He says Nissan's way of verifying the engine is to remove it and take measurements, he doesn't agree with it considering its obvious, but I also see nissans point. The data collected proves the engine is busted. So we will see what happens.

The main thing is that the engine noise has been noted by a tech at Nissan.
    nissan dealers here were also told to take measurements and a tech told me they were OK.
    problem is not a worn part, problem is a defective rod cap (think is called that in english, the under part of the rod were the bearings are) that reduces oil lubrtiation causing the knock because bearing is metal on metal with crank.
    the noise is there, is not normal, you have you to push at least with a full engine replacement, not only short block, complete engine.
    the other posible fix is the one written on the technical tip i posted on previous page, keep original block and replace internals and sell the car asap lol.
    today in a few hours i am going to meet my lawyer and take him all the info i have to see how many chances i have to get my money back, i payed for a brand new car, not a faulty one, because this is a factory problem, car came with the knock since day 1, on user manual is not written that engine is going to knock, so they scammed me, nobody told me this was going to be this way, i will let you know his opinion, this is a difficult country for this because the lack of strong customer care laws, but we are going to try, a friend of mine has his money back from citroen after hiring this same lawyer, wish me luck.

Last edited by gonzagnr; 08-05-2015 at 01:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wooo, glad to see some progress for you Anonymous.

Thanks
    How loud is the knocking? At idle, is it louder or more noticeable than say, driving at 120 Km/h ?
    I originally heard the engine louder when it was new (January '15), now it sounds a lot less. Not sure if the temperature had something to do with it or the engine break-in, but while I find it noisy, it's not that loud at all, so I have no clue of knowing if I have an issue or not. A friend thinks it's the direct fuel injectors I'm hearing. I have no clue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Lba, there is a video on the previous page. There is a lot of noise from the valves on the top of the engine and IIRC, this car has dual injectors. Two per cylinder, which make a ticking noise. The noise isn't heard at idle. Only when the engine is reved at 16-2500 rpm and it is intermittent. It is more noticeable when the block is cold, but is reproducible at high temperatures.

It is more noticeable when you have a surface to reflect the sound from under the car up to the ears, a drive through is a perfect place, or parking close to a wall. When I shot the video It was in between the walls of an overhead door. Often I found I would barely hear it when the AC is on. It can be reproduced by gently revving the engine from idle, pressing the pedal down 1/8th of an inch and releasing a few times. Makes me think it could be an oil starvation issue.

I was actually surprised that I didnt have to show the video, the impression I got was the technician was aware of the issue and mentioned he noticed it on a versa, and on a titan. Quite possibly it could be a TSB floating around about it, or maybe its just something he's noticed.

He showed me what he wanted to fight nissan for was the method. They typically want him to remove the engine, flip it and take measurements of the rod cap, and crank, then nissan will decide weither to do a short block, or long block replacement. The titan engine had been sitting there for a long time because of a backlog, waiting for engines. He is fighting for a long block as he is not a machinist and cant provide nissan with the details anyway. I figure if you take the oil pan off you could probably feel which one has play and in effect a defect.

Even if the internals are replaced, and the noise repaired, I would be pleased. Id be happier with an extra 5000km of warranty tacked on. But replacing the internals means a complete teardown, honing, etc, its actually cheaper to replace it with a long block then pay the machining costs, labor, rental, etc..

gonz, what country do you live in? In this one it would cost more for the lawyer then the car.
    Last edited by Howie; 08-05-2015 at 08:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Yea its cheaper in the long run and a fresh 0km engine ..

But unable to provide the measurements to nissan?!? Thats literally day one type stuff at tech school.
    Measuring bore and crank and deck for wrapage and tolerence. Im scared that, thats the guy whos replacing your engine. Seems more fit for oil changes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    He can.. The mechanic just feels its unnecessary. He knows the motor is shot, and its going back to Nissan anyway, so why not have them do it, when they will pull it all apart to inspect it anyway.

That and mechanics these days aren't what they used to be. Nowadays they are practically parts-changers. Follow a flow chart for diagnosis, and replace said part. A lot of work is outsourced.

Good example is my old VW jetta with the 1.9 deisel. The bosch injector pumps were known to need rebuilds.. Takes about an hour to rebuild it and time it. But any VW dealer will replace the pump outright instead. Takes 5 minutes that way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Damage control I guess. Nissan might know that the dealer will push back... to the customer, as they don't want to do it.
    Argh.

Mine doesn't appear to do it, I guess I'm lucky.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    New engine is on its way. I guess nissan didnt push back to hard.. Should be in mid next week.

Good to hear! Congrats

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I am glad I leased mine, so if that come up before the 5 years period, I will simply return it and get something else, or have the engine replaced under warranty and have it returned when the 5 years is over.

I just hope it does not start doing this after the 5 years period but I doubt it would take that long to show up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...