Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Anyone got any ideas what the knocking sound in the recording might be?

Thanks
    Doesn't seem like the same issue. Does your Micra still have warranty? Have you been able to demonstrate to the dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Doesn't seem like the same issue. Does your Micra still have warranty? Have you been able to demonstrate to the dealer?
    Hi there

Yes i have demonstrated to a dealer but it's hard to get it to make the same sound every time and couldn't get it to happen with the dealer in the car. They suggested I leave the car with them over night. Can't do that till January.

Thanks
    My dealer couldn't replicate the noise. I just got used to it and will drive it this way until she grenades. There isnt much more I can do at this point. Another dealer at a different city did hear and an could replicate the noise, but Im not leaving the car there, and they wont provide a rental/loaner.. So I'm kind of hooped at this point.

But I will have an ear to ear smile when it does go. If it does go. I can do the 'told ya so dance'.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I think i've worked out what it is!

I think it's the ABS & traction control self check. It does it between 20 & 30 mph on mine even though the instructions state it should happen a bit earlier on than, and there's a video on youtube with someone that has a Toyota doing the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xjlHPKO-lk

See the micra user manual under the abs and traction control section. I'm not saying this is definitely the answer but it sounds the most likely outcome at the moment.

Robert

6. The Following User Says Thank You to protoolsuserman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-04-2015)

Thanks
    another march hr16de with the knock, in this case the owner does not even know and care what the knock is, he is from chile and thinks the knock is the clutch pedal LOL
    the car has the cat removed (thats why the engine light is on) and an intake system.
    between seconds 9 -13, you can hear the knock.
    is i said before, i am 99,9% sure A LOT of micras/march versas and notes has this problem, but maybe only 1% of the owners hear it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAWf6oxBz4
    i am still waiting for an answer from nissan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Compared to everything else in the new car market, $18,800 doesn't buy much except a bare stripper from most other manufacturers. To get ABS, traction and stability control, six air bags, bluetooth, steering wheel mounted controls, air conditioning, automatic, power windows, power door locks, heated power mirrors, alloy wheels, fog lights, backup camera, USB and line in with another manufacturer, you're going to have to go past $20,000k.

Also, consider that a tiny run-down house can sell for over $500,000 and a small bachelor condo can sell for over $200,000 in Toronto, $18,800 isn't even half of a downpayment for a conventional mortage for the condo, and won't cut it for the 5% minimum that would be needed for the house. A reliable car for under $20,000 is a good deal in today's economy.
    Totally agree with you. I traded in another vehicle, added $2000 and got my base Micra. I was doubtful I was able to do it, but got a brand new car for peanuts. Even if it's not luxurious, I expect some reliability out fo a new car, and probably will. Case in point, Mitsubishi lowered their price of the Mirage to compete. I believe we have a fair deal, no matter what trim you get.

Getting the dealer to help when comes warranty issues, it's something else. They want to be paid the labour by Nissan Canada. If it's not clear that it's covered, see them skate and dance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Talked with a guy on the US, he used to have a versa.
    at 25k miles the engine started making the knock.
    first the dealer said it was normal.
    then they OBVIOUSLY said that it was the first engine they hear with that problem (LOOOOL) and replaced the engine.
    here comes the more shocking part.
    10k miles later new engine started making the knock again.
    of course he then sold the car and bought a chevrolet again (the same thing i should have done).
    Plus before taking car to the dealer he showed it to a friend who is mechanic and said problem was cylinder 2.
    i am going to make a little off topic.
    because of budget isuess i dont think i will be able to afford golf tsi this year.
    does anybody has any experience with ford fiesta 1.6 16v?
    Sadly here in south america vehicle offer is very poor

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagnr View Post
    Talked with a guy on the US, he used to have a versa.
    at 25k miles the engine started making the knock.
    first the dealer said it was normal.
    then they OBVIOUSLY said that it was the first engine they hear with that problem (LOOOOL) and replaced the engine.
    here comes the more shocking part.
    10k miles later new engine started making the knock again.
    of course he then sold the car and bought a chevrolet again (the same thing i should have done).
    Plus before taking car to the dealer he showed it to a friend who is mechanic and said problem was cylinder 2.
    i am going to make a little off topic.
    because of budget isuess i dont think i will be able to afford golf tsi this year.
    does anybody has any experience with ford fiesta 1.6 16v?
    Sadly here in south america vehicle offer is very poor
    does columbia have issues with dealers like in the US?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    does columbia have issues with dealers like in the US?
    have no idea.
    the only thing is truth is that micras/march versas and notes are receiving faulty engines in all americas, USA, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Ecuador, even up to date, in Mexico there are a lot of 2015 march/versa with the knock.
    i am in contact with the chief of a very important car magazine there and i am sending him all the info i have about the knock, he will release an article about the problem because a lot of readers are complaining about this problem, he wants to put presure on nissan that way.
    The only 2 countries where i was not able to find faulty engines were Chile and Brazil, the guy on Brazil said his knock was a loose spark plug (was more a rattle indeed) and 1 in chile some plastic and another part were loose knocking similar to the rod, but they fix the problem easily.
    I have a theory about why nissan did not send faulty engines to Brazil because they where building 2 factories there ONLY to make march and versa and hr16de engine, so they did not want to get their name dirty.
    And in Chile nissan has a HUGE part of the market, i know a lot of people on chile with march and they work flawless, a lot of them use the march for drag racing (lol) and they even removed cat, put headers and even chiptuning, and cars runing strong.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzagnr For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (03-06-2015)