Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    Oh for sure. All depends on what you put in it. But when you strip the luxury out of it. Its a micra. Add more features and cool stuff, still a micra. And were at the bottom of the Nissan family.

Not that that's a bad thing because the SR and SV have some pretty kickass features for the price. IMHO.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    It may be an entry level for the basic model but I paid 18,800$ for my SR so I would not exactly call it cheap. It's got to be a good car since all trims are build the same way, they must all be good because the fully equiped SR is not that cheap in price.
    Compared to everything else in the new car market, $18,800 doesn't buy much except a bare stripper from most other manufacturers. To get ABS, traction and stability control, six air bags, bluetooth, steering wheel mounted controls, air conditioning, automatic, power windows, power door locks, heated power mirrors, alloy wheels, fog lights, backup camera, USB and line in with another manufacturer, you're going to have to go past $20,000k.

Also, consider that a tiny run-down house can sell for over $500,000 and a small bachelor condo can sell for over $200,000 in Toronto, $18,800 isn't even half of a downpayment for a conventional mortage for the condo, and won't cut it for the 5% minimum that would be needed for the house. A reliable car for under $20,000 is a good deal in today's economy.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I could have got a Honda Civic with pretty much these options (except the mag wheels) for 20k. A Honda Civic is a very reliable, good loking car. We do have one (a 2012) and it's our third one. 2 previous went 350 000 without any problem before we replaced them. Maybe 18,800$ is nothing in Toronto but in Québec where most of the salaries are very low, it's a very big amount. YOu are speaking about your market, and it is well known that people in Ontario have less taxes to pay and have better salaries. But anyway, I am not talking about a house, or a condo, I am talking about a car, apple to apple.

An even in Ontario, the Micra is intended for people with less money to spend on the car, so I am quite sure 18,800$ is a bigger deal for most people, even if it is pocket change for you. At that price there are many other options that are quite good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    here is 21.000 american dollars the more equipped march (the one i have) and only comes with 2 airbags no cruise control no traction control no stability control and no touch screen or reverse camera...
    the base model is 18.000 and has no abs no airbags no fog ligts no 15 inch rims no power windows no electric mirrors
    a honda civic costs 36.000 american dollars, same goes for the new corolla base model or 26.000 the new fit MT base model (my next car very soon i hope)
    so yes i am very angry with this problem.
    21.000 for a faulty car is not funny
    Last edited by gonzagnr; 11-22-2014 at 10:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Even the legendary Honda Civic is not made perfectly every time, so there's no guarantee you would get a brand new Civic trouble-free:
    http://www.hondaproblems.com/Civic/

Lucky you didn't buy a new Civic in 2001!

Also, I agree that $18,800 is a little excessive for the Micra; I considered the SR automatic trim to be for people who had a few thousand to spare for the extra frills. That's why I went with the SV with convenience package at $15,922.45, and now feel that I spent $500 more than I should have on the convenience package, but, feature for feature, considerably cheaper than the cheapest Civic.

When talking about the price of a car, it must be compared to other commodities in a market to establish value, so, while it may not be apples to apples, a shopper will compare the prices of apples to other food items to establish whether they're a good value or not.
    Last edited by AlphaMicra; 11-23-2014 at 08:10 AM.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

Johnskers (11-23-2014)

Thanks
    heres my two cents;

1. if you want unbeatable value, you're wanting the low trim of the Micra. Personally, i think you sacrifice way too much for that trim.
    2. the vast, vast majority of ppl will be best served by the mid trim. that plus convenience pkg. Nissan knew this, hence why they priced it so much more than the low trim, such that the Micra goes from "best value" to "good value, but nothing that great".
    3. the high trim is, imo, not recommendable. If you are paying near 20k, there's a long long list of better hatches out there. If you did your research like all smart customers, you would know that.

essentially, if you get a micra over other cars in its class, it's because you want a 'good but not amazing value' hatch with mid-size sedan-like performance, at 80% of its price.

personally, i love my micra, but it's not without flaws, and its not for everyone.

and btw, as with most ppl, for me, the biggest most important thing in a car is not performance or fuel economy, but sheer reliability. *knock on wood*

PS: i dont think comparing car prices to things that are not cars is very helpful
    Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to micrapolis For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (12-23-2014)

Thanks
    Hi, I have a Micra k13 11 plate with CVT transmission and it makes like a knocking noise but this only happens once when the engine is cold and has been sitting for a couple of hours. Once you hit 30mph, you will hear like a knocking noise and that's it. I just wondered it if was anything to worry about? It happens at around 9 seconds in. Try listening with headphones and watch the volume level for your ears.

https://clyp.it/qknkfh5k

Thanks for your help

Robert

Thanks
    Hi Robert - do you mean the single knock/bang around the 10 second mark in the recording? (Just before the birdsong? )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Hi Robert - do you mean the single knock/bang around the 10 second mark in the recording? (Just before the birdsong? )

Yes that's the sound.

Robert

Thanks
    Still no redtitution on my mouse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...