Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    i did not pay for a car with a faulty rod bearing AT CERO KM/MILES, i pay for a brand new car, my old car from 1997 with 110k km was problem free, i simply bought the march because ON PAPER has a nice engine, with good power, nice equipment (my march is like the micra sv), very nice looking in my opinion and low fuel consumption.
    so this is NOT NORMAL, this is NOT what you expect when you buy a brand new car.
    Anonymus, if you are sure your knock is like ours, is rod bearing on cylinder 2 and not belt tensioner.
    the knock is al the way up from 2000rpm to 7000, but it sounds more between 2000 and 3000, and is more audible when engine hot because with temperature, the gap between metals increases, so the knock is louder and the oil becomes more thin, so the engine parts are more metal on metal.
    i am not saying the fault is a SPUN rod bearing, the fault in my opinion is that the rod bearings on cylinder 2 are too loose.

Last edited by gonzagnr; 11-14-2014 at 06:29 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Maybe not normal, but certainly not unusual...again, the reason why we have a warranty.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/maliboo...our-cylinders/

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I guess in retrospect.. probably easier for us to get the problem fixed if we let it get worse.. when you make a million of these engines, (or anything for that matter) there is bound to be a handful of bad ones. Good link alpha.. pity about those malibus tho, I've always been a fan of them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Maybe not normal, but certainly not unusual...again, the reason why we have a warranty.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/maliboo...our-cylinders/

...with just a few thousand miles on the odometer...

1 - mine was knocking with 0 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    What on earth makes you think Nissan will never make a recall? On what do you base this assumption? Everything I've seen about Nissan demonstrates they're very good at being pro-active with recalls, doing the recalls voluntarily and committing themselves to service campaigns. For example:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/15/n...-timing-chain/

We drive a car that's at the infancy of its production; you can hardly expect a company to jump the gun on a recall notice just because you heard a knocking sound.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If you read the thread posted earlier about GM recall, they say they will not make a recall because they have no way of knowing which car has the problem unless the problem show up. Obviously they will not recall every car that has this engine just in case it would develop the problem. What they could do though, it to extend the current warranty for 10 years instead of 5 for this specific problem. In the case of GM, they say the problem is bound to come out rather quickly but I don't know if it's going to be the same scenario with Nissan. What is the latest KM that this problem occured? 10k? less?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Are you sure about that? I read the opposite. As the engine warm up it is supposed to be less audible because they say that the piston expand creating less gap. ??

Also would running synthetic oil help?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagnr View Post
    is more audible when engine hot because with temperature, the gap between metals increases, so the knock is louder and the oil becomes more thin, so the engine parts are more metal on metal.
    i am not saying the fault is a SPUN rod bearing, the fault in my opinion is that the rod bearings on cylinder 2 are too loose.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    If you read the thread posted earlier about GM recall, they say they will not make a recall because they have no way of knowing which car has the problem unless the problem show up. Obviously they will not recall every car that has this engine just in case it would develop the problem. What they could do though, it to extend the current warranty for 10 years instead of 5 for this specific problem. In the case of GM, they say the problem is bound to come out rather quickly but I don't know if it's going to be the same scenario with Nissan. What is the latest KM that this problem occured? 10k? less?
    They would know when they identified the quality control problem and the last car built from then, and then they would work back in manageable groups until the problem has been identified. Since this is a recall, it can be effected outside of the scope of the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    Are you sure about that? I read the opposite. As the engine warm up it is supposed to be less audible because they say that the piston expand creating less gap. ??
    You are correct, heated metal expands, reducing gaps. Further, a bad rod bearing is noisy at low RPM's and gets worse as the RPM's get higher. I'm not convinced he has a bad rod bearing. I'm not saying there isn't a problem, but jumping at conclusions and getting mad at Nissan and the dealership doesn't help us get to the real cause.

Thanks
    For spun bearings, yes. I have seen some that become more prominent with the engine heated, depending on what the connecting rod is made of. The big end wraps around the crank, and typically the crank is a much more resistant metal. Depending on how the bearing is worn, it can oblong the bearing. When the engine is cold the metal can contract and cause a tighter fit around the crank. When its heated, the connecting rod expands a little larger then the crank itself and cause a smidgen of a gap (like 1000ths of an inch), and its usually cushioned by oil coming through a journal in the crank so there is no noise. But if the gap is too large, you will hear it smack into the connecting rod on the power stroke, and sometimes when another piston hits its power stroke as the crank is suddenly pulled away from the crank. The bearing isnt really a bearing like you would think in the sense of a wheel bearing, but its more of a race that rides around a smoothed portion of the crank.

But what I keep scratching my head over is the way this one works.. In that specific RPM range. I've seen a lot of 5.7l vortecs with spun bearings and usually right from start up and through the range, you will hear the knock.

I don't know if running synthetic would help at all. I suppose really all we can do at this point is wait until the wear increases and we have something more concrete to work with. It's not like I can do with my old chev and dodge and just pull the oil pan and check the bottom of each rod for play. Not so simple when dealing with warranty covered bits..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    about the knock and engine temperature...
    in puston slap the hoter the engine the lower the noise BECAUSE the piston fills the gap between itself and the block.
    but in rod bearings is the oposite.
    the rod goes attached to the crankshaft.
    in this case there is too much gap between the bearing and the crank, so the hoter the engine the biger the gap the louder the knock.

and the hr16de IS NOT a new engine, it was used on the latio/versa and micra cc since 2006 i think.
    and i tell you again, renault has a looot of problem on rod bearings made of **** material and if you dont know renault owns 45% of nissan.

Last edited by gonzagnr; 11-14-2014 at 10:58 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzagnr For This Useful Post:

Robm6981 (11-14-2014)