Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    I'm fairly certain it's a legal requirement for car manufacturers to have this label:

Attachment 800
    Thanks Alpha. Mine does not have a data plate there. Weird!

I'll look around more on the weekend and see if I can find it.

Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    here you have a video of my cars noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h65i...ature=youtu.be

viva nissan (ironic)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzagnr For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-04-2015)

Thanks
    Ha! As expected, "your car is not making any unusual noises.". What now?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Ha! As expected, "your car is not making any unusual noises.". What now?
    can you upload a video so we can hear the sound???
    you MUST show them all the information on this forum.
    Also the noise is much worse when engine HOT, i bet they turned on the car, acelerated it 2 or 3 times (cold engine), didnt hear anything, and turned it off.
    You have to go to the dealer with the engine hot, and replicate by yourself the noise, with the hood open.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 March manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 41.1 mpg (Imp) ... 14.6 km/L ... 34.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If it was only about noise, no problem as much, but if it affect the functionality and durability of the engine, then it's a big big problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Alpha, if you've ever had a rod go through a block as I have, you'd have a bit more of an idea of how much of a potential issue it can be.

For example, when the rod snaps and punches through the block, essentially seizing the engine, and transmission suddenly bad things happen. If your lucky, the toruque converter releases and you spew oil and coolant all over the road for other drivers behind you to slip and slide over- a nice trip for motorcyclists, trust me.

Or perchance your going from ottawa to Winnipeg. Your just past sault st. Marie an hour or two ago, *blam* well guess what? Your now spending a great deal of time in the wilderness in your new metal tent because there's no way to call roadside assistance, hopefully a nice person picks you up.

Worst case, the engine goes. You loose power steering, and a lof of control of your car. Hello nissan. Welcome to a lawsuit- not unlike what Gm just shelled out millions over.

It's not hate, it's not trying to get back at nissan for a defect- it's trying to get our car fixed as early as possible before it gets worse. Trying to identify a problem now so that the next runs of the engine don't have an issue like this. Because we love our micras.

Right now, any defect in a car is under scrutiny. Especially if you mention safety. But if no one tells nissan, they won't know about the problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yes but the question is, will it affect the engine within the 5 years period or just later? I don't think 5 years warranty on an engine is enough anyway.

And yep, security issue for sure if this happens on the road while on the highway!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    First of all here in south america, nissan only gives 3 year warranty, i only ride 8-10k per year, so i will be out of warranty at 30k km...
    Well, i have some potential information...
    A friend of mine has a bosch kts scan tool, the best multi brand scanner...
    In the new update 2014.3 it adds some funtionality to the ecu of the nissan juke equipped with the hr16de... that allows you to cut each cylinder 1 by 1, this is the same as remove 1 spark plug with the engine runing...
    A FRIEND OF MINE did today that test on his also faulty march... AND GUESS WHAT....
    When cylinder 2 was cut, the noise was reduced about 60 70%...
    So the problem is rod bearing on cylinder number 2.
    Nissan consul 3 (nisssan diagnostic tool) can perform this test also.
    So problem solved.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzagnr For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-15-2014)

Thanks
    Belt tensioner apparently is thier diagnosis right now for it. "Normal noise." So.. drive it till she blows I guess. Or buy the mech hearing aids.

Thanks
    Of course, if it really is a faulty rod bearing, the most logical thing that will happen is that the bearing will deteriorate to the point where the resulting sound will be easily detected and diagnosed, and then repaired under warranty. I honestly can't see a rod bearing going from barely perceptible only when the engine's hot and only at certain RPM's to the rod suddenly smashing through the block and leaving a motorist stranded. I also can't see a defective rod bearing go undetected past the end of the warranty, much less 30,000km.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...