Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Ready to buy a Micra, then I drove A Ford Fiesta ST

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Was Ready to buy a Micra, then I drove A Ford Fiesta ST

Had driven all the cars in the Micra sub compact size (Fit, Accent, Rio, Mazda 2, Sonic) and was ready to pull the trigger on a order for a Micra SR 5 speed standard. Then I test drove a Ford Fiesta ST. Bottom line, I now have a Fiesta ST on order.

You can say they don't really compete directly with a Micra, other than being a sub compact hatch back. Certainly they are more money than a fully loaded SR Micra (about $4500 difference for a base Fiesta ST (no nav, sunroof or custom wheels), but as far as fun to drive, simply no comparison.

The ST with it's turbo 1.6 L engine produces 197 HP and 214 ft. lb of torque. 0 to 60 comes in between 6.4 & 6.9 seconds depending on the tester and top end is about 143 mph) It is the most fun small car I have ever driven even compared to a Miata I had a few years ago. Lots of power at any RPM, yet very relaxed in highway cruise mode (about 2800 rpm at 120 kph in sixth gear)

As impressive as the power is, the handling is unbelievably good for a front wheel drive. Ride can be a little abrupt, but considering the world class handling, not too bad. The standard Recaro seats are simply awesome as well.

2015 Fuel economy is rated at 42 mph highway (2014 rated at 50 mph) and as you know, they have revised 2105 ratings to be more realistic to real world driving.

I had resigned myself to getting basic transportation in a sub compact, now I will have something that will do everything a basic sub compact hatch will do and have a car that doubles as a mini performance car as well.
    Last edited by ZREXER; 09-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZREXER View Post
    I had resigned myself to getting basic transportation in a sub compact [...] Certainly they are more money (about $4500 difference)
    There's some lifestyle inflation, illustrated. Two base Micras worth!

Congrats on your decision - sounds like you'll enjoy the Fiesta. Power is definitely addictive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Fiesta ST from the various review sites. It's a great hot hatch. I'd say, other then in form factor, its not directly competing with the Micra. At it's price level, your cross shopping with larger cars and/or sports cars like the Subaru BRZ. With the right engine and performance adjustments, a Micra Nismo might be able to give the ST a run for its money; I doubt this will happen though, as it would cannibalize Juke sales too much.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Fiesta ST from the various review sites. It's a great hot hatch. I'd say, other then in form factor, its not directly competing with the Micra. At it's price level, your cross shopping with larger cars and/or sports cars like the Subaru BRZ. With the right engine and performance adjustments, a Micra Nismo might be able to give the ST a run for its money; I doubt this will happen though, as it would cannibalize Juke sales too much.
    I did drive a Scion FRS , great car, but needs to be really wound up to get decent performance. Quite buzzy and noisy on the highway as well. Better handling at the limit than an ST, but I need something I can drive year round and the FRS/BRZ is not going to cut it for Alberta winters,

Ford has partnered with Mountune from Europe, so it is now possible to a warranty approved tune & revised airbox, which pumps power to around 215 HP and 236 ft. lbs in the ST. This has been available to Ford owners in Europe, but now has been approved by Ford in North America. Has to be installed by Ford to get the warrranty, but to be able to get the power bump and keep full warranty is great in my view.

Yeah, Nissan really needs to take the Nismo 1.6L and drop it in a Micra. That would be an awesome car for sure.
    Last edited by ZREXER; 09-17-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks
    ^
    I hear you about Alberta winters and rear wheel drive.

I had an '85 Celica, the last year with RWD; one day I was heading east on the Yellowhead just before Elk Island Park. I hit a patch of ice, and the car did a complete 360' piroette while sliding from from the right lane across the left, and ended up in the ditch facing the right direction again. I'm luck no one was passing me at the time; I'm sure I scared the dickens out of people behind me as they saw my headlights facing them for a minute I actually had a couple of cars stop, and a nice fellow with a truck and a tow rope towed me out; rare today, it was nice to see some validation of human kindness.

Anyways, yeah, rear wheel drive can be fun in the summer, but hit the wrong spot in the winter, especially with a lighter vehicle, and you can be in trouble before you know it

Thanks
    The difference now is that everything new will have stability plus traction control, but even those can only do so much if you hit glare ice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I'd be interested to know what the insurance rate difference is between the Micra and this car; I'm certain it would cost significantly more to insure.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If I end up getting my car ( which they say I will lol ) I will ask my insurance guy the rate for the fiesta st... for me the micra would cost 163 a month, a chevy sonic would cost 172 a month ( for a 6 speed auto with nothing on it )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Going to talk to insurance in about 45 mins... will get a quote for a fiesta st as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Damn those insurance people, walk in to get car insurance, got car and life lol.. will have to ask him again on the ford.. everything was taken care of before I even got there ( awesome guy ) so i didn't get a good amount of time to sit down. But hey if I die someone gets a nice fat cheque lol.