Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micra running costs comparison vs. competitors (cost of ownership)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Oh how I love charts and graphs! I prefer raw numbers myself, and direct comparisons (here each car is on it's own, rather than each car side by side). But that's me, yours looks much better Sad face because there is no thumbs up face here.

When we get official numbers, I'll get an excel sheet and do a whole bunch of cars and make a big sheet for standard and auto.

I guess the easiest way for consumers to think of it is to take car X, minus the Micra, and write down that value.
    Divide that number by the cost of fuel, and that number should be multiplied by miles/gallon.

So buy Car X, or the Micra and get that much fuel included!

Thanks
    So, what would you guys go with? Low up front cost, or something that pays off after a few more miles? Or, would you need to drive the car to feel the difference before deciding?

Personally, I would need to drive the car to decide. Although, that still wouldn't be the deciding factor. I almost always tweak my cars with a sway bar or springs or something to change the handling.

Thanks
    I am leaning towards the Mirage, still- BUT only because I haven't been in the Micra.

If I got in it, and felt the power to weight ratio, and thought about how much cheaper it was, I would probably go Micra. I would take my opinion with a grain of salt since I won't even see a Micra for quite a while!

Thanks
    I haven't driven either. I have read a bunch of reviews saying the Mirage suspension is very soft though, very uninspiring. The Micra is coming stock with front and rear sway bars which should be very nice. The Mirage only has a front sway bar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    So, what would you guys go with? Low up front cost, or something that pays off after a few more miles?
    Since I only buy used cars, I would need to wait and see what happens to the prices of 4-6 year old Micras & Mirages to make up my mind. How's that for a non-answer?

Another issue: I suspect average cost of fuel over 10 years is going to be higher than we've estimated. That'll shorten the "payback" time for the Mirage.

I have little doubt the Micra is going to be the most fun to drive. (Though if you drive it for "fun", you're not going to get great fuel economy.) So, if your priorities are "cheap to buy and fun to drive", the Nissain is probably the car to get. If your priorities are "cheaper to run over the long haul", better look at the Mirage.

However, another thing to consider: if you can only afford a $10k car, how likely is it you'll spend an extra $2500 to save money in the long run?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

re-ran the numbers with new info

With the official release of Micra pricing info, I plugged the numbers into our spreadsheet to fine tune things a bit further...

- Lower shipping costs give the base 5-speed Micra the running cost advantage up to year 9 (then it changes to Mirage).

- The cost of getting a Micra with an automatic transmission means its price advantage only lasts 2 years over the Mirage (7 years over the Spark).

Check the spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FE&usp=sharing

Of course, all of this assumes that GM and Mitsu are not going to respond with price changes or incentives of their own. Probably unlikely.

Ain't competition grand?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Very interesting. So, as usual, it seems the manual transmission is definitely the way to go to save some coin. Of course they'll only make up a tiny fraction of total sales!