Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stereo and speaker replacement

Booo... Still no amp, the rest of the factory speakers are hooked up.
    I can listen to my iphone cds usb. But its a jdm deck so i still need an fm extender... If i want radio.. Do i?!? I dunno.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

So i kinda feel new right now. I had my amp tested. Its fine.
    Then we checked out the cap. So, what i didnt remember or realize was when i disconnected the system years ago i never discharged the cap. And while trying to hook it up, i never charged and discharged it.
    So, ( i know ive said so alot ) with any luck, ill have sounds soon

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Depending on how much your going to consume, let your amp run first without the cap.

Run 4 or zero ga. from your battery to the amp. Put in a fuse rated for the draw of your amp, close as humanly possible to the battery. Bolt amp it in place. Use rubber or ceramic isolators if your mounting the amp to the sheetmetal of the car. Do _NOT_ use chassis ground as a negative feed for your amp as it will pick up interference, which the amp will only amplify. You want the cleanest power and signal to get to that amp. It seems crazy and counter-intuitive, it isnt. If I can get 128.5DB out of two flat 10's in a minivan, It will probably blow the mirrors off a micra.

From the back of the rad, if it has sub outs, use RCA to the back of the amp. Set your gain to zero and radio output to zero. If its a Monoblock amp. Amp should have an ignition hot wire to activate. Tie this into the Radio's ignition wire, or if its a fancy head, it may have a designated line to turn the amp on itself.

Adjust the amp to your liking with a fairly neutral track, under full electrical load. Blower on full. Ac on full. Plug somethin into the cigarette lighter. If you notice dimming on bass hits, unplug your fuse and cut your + cable close to the amp. Install your cap here. Caps can be chassis ground to somewhere in the trunk. Make sure your cap is the right size for your amp. Too big isnt a bad thing.

As for draining your cap through storage, yeah. Caps will discharge naturally over time. Its not a big deal to discharge it before storage. The big thing for discharging a cap before storing is to eliminate the risk of a shock if someone discharges it when they pick it up. (Loaded gun vs unloaded gun.)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/205182...ntiac-montana/ My old ride. Shame a drunk thought it was a great place to park as well.
    Last edited by Howie; 06-30-2015 at 12:17 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Heres the set up:
    Deck- carrozzeria jdm deck - rca plugs - remote switched via acc
    Wire - 6 or 8 ga fuse 30amp ( probably not enough as 20 popped instantly just charging the cap.) - 6" from +post
    Cap - 500 farad 18" wire from amp- grounded to chassis with dual screw eyelet - 18" wire to ground - freshly made ground
    Amp - rockford fosgate dsm 100 ( 50w rms per ch x2ch 4omh unbridged ) chassis ground same as cap ( so.. Where should i ground the amp?) amp is mount solidly to the box. Box is not ported
    Subs - rockford fosgate punch p1 12"x2 -150w rms 300peak 4ohm single voice coil - 1 sub per ch. gain 0
    Hi-pass chip

Now this is an ol'skool rockford fosgate amp. SERIOUSLY UNDERRATED POWER. So 50watt rms per ch. ya. Not if you heard them pound the last time they were installed.

But if i really want a rockford fosgate p325 amp i know exactly were one is cheap.
    But then id have whats probably a 400w true power amp killing 300w total rms subs.

I dont need to be breaking my rear window here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbo micra View Post
    Just upgraded the speakers to Pioneer 4-way speakers. The factory speakers are only 2 ohm impedance though (usual for car speakers is 4). So this means without upgrading the head unit or adding in an amplifier, new speakers are going to lose the "punch" but I am glad to have more clarity at higher volumes.
    Just for clarification, some "Higher tier" GM cars, such as the Chevrolet Impala, come with 2 ohm speakers stock. I suspect the new usual for car speakers might be 2 ohms.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Run a second line from your battery negative to the negative on the amp. If you can. Some vehicles its impossible to do just because of the design of your vehicle. But yes, you should have matching speaker impedance (the ohms) wherever possible.

Numbers of watts doesn't matter as much as the end result. My setup in the montana was 713w... Total. The head, amp, 4 speakers, and the subs. Grand total 713w, and could easily do 128db with no problem. Low power with a great design is worth 10 times as much as high power with no clarity. Ive seen a few cars at shows we went to with it and they might have had 5000w... But it sounded like crap.

That amp.. Is that a fosgate PUNCH 100DSM? If thats what I think it is, there should be a blue wire for turn on that has to be run to +12V when the ignition is on. If I remember right, your left and right gain is 1/8 turn from zero as default. (All the way to the left, and back 1/8) Treble to zero, bass 1/2 turn.

By default that amp is made for 8-16g power wire.

If this amp is your amp disregard what i posted earlier. Rockfords prefer chassis ground with a lead no no longer then 18".

Fuse type for that guy is 40A.

http://http://www.rockfordfosgate.co...DSMamp_MAN.pdf

Hopefully this is the amp you got brother. Somehow we will get you sorted out.
    Last edited by Howie; 07-01-2015 at 01:00 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

There is my amp, sub(actual set up) and my messy wiring.
    It will be cleaned up, i just got it working
    ......And holy crap... I do not need a bigger amp. Ive already rattled something loose in the hatch.
    My lanyard... It dances.. my ears... Well its a good thing we have free healthcare lol.

Thanks for those default settings m8
    Im going to set it at those and get a fresh start
    Tho I think the gain is as you said. Im not sure about the bass and treble.
    But im all about that bass, bout that bass.... Lol
    PICS!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Right on! Looks like you got the thump you were looking for

Thanks
    Got my sub and amp in the back, got my crappy old deck in, next to sort out door speakers and a new deck.

I have some 6.5" speakers from my old car, but when I went to install them in the rear doors, it seemed I would need spacers to fit them in where the factory speakers are, or maybe rip the factory speakers out of the spacer they're built into... This seems like a job for a 3d printer or something. Or a jigsaw and a lot of plywood? What have others done? Also, 6.5's in the front also have to be spaced in, correct? What a hassle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.2 mpg (Imp) ... 15.3 km/L ... 36.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I used grommets that were 1/4" to space them out and used self adhesive foam to fill the gaps.

Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18