Thread: Possible data breach for Nissan Financial customers.

Thanks

Possible data breach for Nissan Financial customers.

Hey everyone.

I found this online through Global News about a possible information, data breach at Nissan Canada for finance customers.

I wasn't sure where to put this. I am not sure if it's even able to be posted here. Like myself, I am concerned and waiting to hear anything from Nissan regarding this.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3929426/n...r-information/

Thanks
    The financing wing has said they're sending letters to everyone and emails if available -> offering 12 months of credit monitoring through TransUnion for free (so I'd assume we'll see them get hit like Equifax just was in the coming weeks). Smells like another class action suit is on its way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I am not sure if it's even able to be posted here. Like myself, I am concerned and waiting to hear anything from Nissan regarding this.
    Definitely this should be on the forum! It's good, relevant info.

Update from Nissan's site:

Dec 21, 2017 Nissan Canada Finance informs customers of possible data breach

Mississauga, Ont. – Nissan Canada Finance (NCF) is notifying its customers in Canada that it is a victim of a data breach that may have involved unauthorized person(s) gaining access to the personal information of some customers that have financed their vehicles through Nissan Canada Finance and INFINITI Financial Services Canada.

On December 11, 2017, NCF became aware of unauthorized access to personal information. The unauthorized access may have impacted the following types of information for some customers: customer name, address, vehicle make and model, vehicle identification number (VIN), credit score, loan amount and monthly payment. We are still investigating exactly what personal information has been impacted.

While the precise number of customers affected by the data breach is not yet known, NCF is contacting all of our current and past customers – approximately 1.13 million customers – who have financed their vehicles through Nissan Canada Finance and INFINITI Financial Services Canada. At this time, there is no indication that customers who financed vehicles outside of Canada are affected. In addition, no payment card information was affected.

Customer privacy and data security are most critical to NCF and NCF is taking prompt action to notify potentially affected customers and is offering them 12 months of credit monitoring services through TransUnion at no cost. While the precise number of customers affected by this breach is not yet known, out of abundance of caution, NCF is notifying all of its customers and is offering all customers these credit monitoring services even if their personal information was not actually affected. Customers may obtain more information by visiting www.nissancanadafinance.ca/securitynotice.

Concurrently with customer notifications, NCF has also contacted Canadian privacy regulators, law enforcement and leading data security experts to help rapidly investigate this matter.
    "We sincerely apologize to the customers whose personal information may have been illegally accessed and for any frustration or inconvenience that this may cause,"said Alain Ballu, president, Nissan Canada Finance. "We are focused on supporting our customers and ensuring the security of our systems.”
    http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/c...le-data-breach

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I got the email as well. The question is... now what
    First car: 1984 silver Nissan Micra
    Current car: 2016 Gun Metallic Nissan Micra SV

Thanks
    from the details provided of what someone may have access to... loan amount, payment amount and schedule, your address... there's nothing there that screams "I can borrow money in your name" - social insurance information and credit card information is not included... Added to that, the odds of you winning the lottery of having them try is fairly low -> however, credit monitoring requires social and other vital information, and those providing that service have been targets recently.

Given that they don't have what I'd consider my vital info at this moment, I'm not about to give that sensitive info en masse to a service with a million other people just to have that service get hit and get the real sensitive info stolen - it sounds too much like a baiting tactic lol if/when anything negative comes of it, a class-action suit will be filed as they failed to do their duty of keeping our stuff safe, then they'll have to file through their insurance to render the payout and pay for fixing anyone's history who was negatively impacted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABMicra17 View Post
    Hey everyone.

I found this online through Global News about a possible information, data breach at Nissan Canada for finance customers.

I wasn't sure where to put this. I am not sure if it's even able to be posted here. Like myself, I am concerned and waiting to hear anything from Nissan regarding this.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3929426/n...r-information/
    Here's what I did so far:

1. Signed up with creditKarma.ca for credit report monitor, if there are any major changes to your Trans Union report, they will send you an email. and it's free

2. I bank with CIBC, so I signed up with their free credit fraudulent alert through the online banking portal, basically if there's any major changes on your Equifax credit report, they will send you a text message right away. My friend also has this and he claimed that whenever he tries to sign up with something that requires credit check (ex. get a Telus cell phone plan), it will takes an extra step to talk to a live agent to proceed (If someone have done this, please confirm for us?).

I have seen people who got their identity stolen before; and have loans, line of credits and other things open under their name. It's very serious and it would take huge amount of effort to get it reverse.