Thread: Thoughts about my MTSV Convenience package

Thanks

Thoughts about my MTSV Convenience package

After praising the virtues of my Micra, there are some things that make me wonder if the convenience package was really worth it...
    -The backup camera image washes out in daylight, a problem that's made worse with my polarized sunglasses. It works beautiful at night and in underground parking; the backup lights provide ample illumination. However, using the backup camera tends to make me park crooked. If I ignore it and back into a spot by just looking rearward, I get it straight every time, and get just as close to a curb or car behind me as I would have with the camera. It's nice to have, but not necessary in a car like this. In the future, I'm going to use it for a quick check for obstructions while backing out of my driveway (ie; small kids, bikes), but will use my traditional skills for backing into a parking spot.
    -The only good thing about the MP3 player is it starts playing wherever I left off. It doesn't do playlists, can't seem to play the songs in the proper order, and doesn't automatically pause whenever I receive a bluetooth telephone call.

The convenience package cost $500. I wonder if the same $500 would be better spent on an aftermarket head unit. For example, this one is only $350, leaving $150 left over for a backup camera: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...da371510f7en02

Other thoughts:
    -I haven't really needed air conditioning in my metallic silver car; it doesn't really draw the heat that darker coloured cars draw. There's been a couple of real humid days this year I was glad I had it, especially with passengers front and rear, and it really makes things more comfortable when it's pouring rain, but I think if a person was to get a Micra without air conditioning, they'd be fine with a white or metallic silver Micra.
    -So glad I got the stick shift over the automatic; even though the auto has the engine rev lower at highway speeds, it's way more fun and I get to keep the RPM's lower at lower speeds, improving my city and heavy traffic mileage. That said...
    -The spot to rest one's clutch foot (where a dead pedal is needed) is a little too big, making the pedal space almost too small for my size 13 steel toes. I can do it, but I often change into sneakers before driving.
    -Fold-and-tumble back seats wouldn't work for me; whenever I need to fold down the back seats for extra storage, I put all the stuff I keep on the back seat (ie; rain gear, sweater, back pack, coveralls, code book) on the back seat floor then fold the back seats down. The available 60/40 configuration works quite well for my real world needs.
    -The lack of in-dash cubbies is simply unforgivable. One of the hallmarks of this class of Japanese cars is the array of clever cubbies.
    -The advertising sucks. An office temp having a bad day could do better. Even I could do better, and I couldn't imagine competing with an office temp having a bad day. A car with global roots dating back to the best decade known to humanity should have advertising that demonstrates these facts.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    -The spot to rest one's clutch foot (where a dead pedal is needed) is a little too big, making the pedal space almost too small for my size 13 steel toes. I can do it, but I often change into sneakers before driving.
    Hey man, hope this is not too OT, but your post here reminded me of something that I have been meaning to ask fellow Micra owners. It has not happened in a while so I guess (hope) that my foot now knows it's place. lol.

Has anyone got their right foot caught up on the plastic shrouding down around the gas pedal? Makes for some interesting reving! I have to be careful, especially whilst wearing work boots.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    Has anyone got their right foot caught up on the plastic shrouding down around the gas pedal? Makes for some interesting reving!
    My dad once test drove a car where that was an issue (winter boots). Strangely, it was a Scandinavian car -- you'd think of all the manufacturers, they'd have the issue of winter boots + pedals sorted out. Didn't buy it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Has anyone got their right foot caught up on the plastic shrouding down around the gas pedal? Makes for some interesting reving! I have to be careful, especially whilst wearing work boots.
    That's one of the first things I noticed, but I quickly adapted to it. More frustrating was when pressing the clutch with my left foot, the edge of my foot would hit the foot rest, but I thought I had it to the floor and shifted, causing that terrible grinding noise. Scared the crap out of my wife; with a lack of sound deadening material, the sound of gears grinding really rings though the cabin! I now make absolutely certain the clutch is really at the floor before shifting.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey man, hope this is not too OT, but your post here reminded me of something that I have been meaning to ask fellow Micra owners. It has not happened in a while so I guess (hope) that my foot now knows it's place. lol.

Yep! Happens to me often in combat boots.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...