Thread: Potential new Micra owner!?!?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Potential new Micra owner!?!?

Hey guys,

First, I want to start by saying I haven't yet decided on a Nissan Micra. I know, 'what is there to think about,' right? I've been researching this car since they announced its return to Canada (Ha ha USA...not that they care).

A short background. I'm currently driving a 2004 Mazda RX-8. Ya, far from an eco-friendly hatchback. Before that I had a Dodge Caliber and thought it was too big, and too slow. For my next car, I wanted something smaller and that was fun to drive. A close friend sold me on the RX-8 because he loved his, and it was the best bang for the buck. Finally, I wanted a pre-midlife crisis mobile as I plan on marrying and "possibly" starting a family in the next couple years.

My fiancée and I are both currently shopping for cars. She's definitely buying new, as her 14-year old Focus is on its last legs and she's never owned a new vehicle. Her budget will slightly impact mine. I'm on the fence about new vs used. The main factors supporting new are obvious...Pros-new, less maintenance, better mileage, warranty, shiny. Cons-more $...that's about it.

I've narrowed my shopping down to a Brand New Nissan Micra (S, manual, open to black/grey/silver) or a Toyota Echo. I'm considering a Yaris as well (its spiritual successor), but the little extra I'll pay for a newer used car puts it a few thousand less that a brand new Micra with 0 kms on it. If I choose an Echo with higher kms, I can save a boatload of $$$ and can get something different in a few years. But, and here's the real "problem," I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE MICRA!!!!!

I wanted to feel "Meh" about it when I test drove it, but it was really nice. It drove very well. The turning radius is ridonkulous. And, contrary to what some might say, I think it's a really cool looking car. I'd take it over a Versa any day. Also, even though it's a budget conscious car, and believe me, I get it, I do have an issue with it only getting 36mpg. I'd never consider a CVT in mine, if it were offered, but surely the 5-speed must be able to get better mileage.

Anyhow, I'm rambling now. What are your thoughts? Please have an open mind, as I haven't really decided on the Micra yet. A cheaper car would make more $ense, but I feel the pro's for the Micra outweigh the con's. By a long shot. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Thanks
    Hey Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by KDKid View Post
    I've narrowed my shopping down to a Brand New Nissan Micra (S, manual, open to black/grey/silver)
    Get black.

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE MICRA!!!!! I wanted to feel "Meh" about it when I test drove it, but it was really nice.
    Know what? I think the 9998 price sets up low expectations, and then the car blows them away. It really is a decent little ride.

I do have an issue with it only getting 36mpg. I'd never consider a CVT in mine, if it were offered, but surely the 5-speed must be able to get better mileage.
    Anyone with a small amount of motivation and skill would be able to blow 36 mpg Imperial out of the water with the 5-speed. I got over 50 mpg Imp. over nearly 1000 km in an SR 4-speed automatic, just by taking it easy. Have you seen this thread?

Thread: Post your Micra's fuel economy / mileage results here

The only thing is: can you find a base S? Where do you live? Seems like the people ordering manuals are having to wait a long time for them.

Regardless of what you end up doing, welcome to the forum.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yeah and our auto's arent CVT. Still a slushbox, but IMHO, better then cvt.

I usually range in 5.5 6.5 range. And I have a foot that hits like the fist of an angry god. And thats 96% city.

The difference is how they evaluate the micra. Sure. Some cars out there in the old economy claim they get 40-50 mpg, but the real world says otherwise. For 2015 model years, in canada a new fuel economy test has been established that is much more true to the real world for cars. The old standard was greatly exaggerated.

And the micra is the only 2015 out so far. So when you look at the micra's fuel economy, you will get better then what the window sticker says. Unlike the 14's where you look at it and never quite reach that economy.

Heres a link from the ministry of natural resources explaining.. (Hint hint Darin, might want to stick this up somewhere if it isnt already...)

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/effici...ks/buying/7491

Plus, the micra isn't built to be the most fuel efficient car on the road. Its built to be cheap. Sure.. A prius will get better milage, but is the extra 15k you spend initially worth it?

So yeah. it only gets 36 mpg.. Sure the mirage gets better fuel milage and is the same price, (with a 2500 manufacturer rebate, Lol). And I imaging if we chopped a cylender off the engine we would get better fuel economy too. [Mirage only has a 74 hp inline 3, compared to our 106hp inline 4)
    Last edited by Howie; 08-20-2014 at 12:27 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-20-2014)

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure the listed fuel economy for the Micra is based on the Versa Note numbers
    A larger and heavier car with the same 1.6 ltr engine
    I have had my Micra SV for 6 weeks and I'm burning 6.2 ltr/100 km which is 90% city driving (GTA)
    that's with 2 adult passengers 5 days a week
    the car has being great, the 5 speed is fun to drive even in rush hour
    I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun inexpensive car

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    And I have a foot that hits like the fist of an angry god. And thats 96% city.
    So...you have someone else hit the gas pedal for you?

As for me, I can match the EPA estimates only by pushing hard and fast.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well. Someone has said once before that i drive like I was possessed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...