Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy a hitch (receiver for rear bike carrier?)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Buy a hitch (receiver for rear bike carrier?)

Test drove a Micra, and loved it. Huge fan of ascetic, euro car design. Problem is, I'm a cyclist, and being able to carry bikes is a deal breaker. I hate carrying my bikes on a roof rack, and my current rack fits a 1 1/4" hitch. Is it possible to install a hitch on the K13 Micra? Anyone know where to find one?

Thanks!
    James

Thanks
    As far as I know, the spare tire underneath the Micra precludes the use of a hitch with it. You may wish to try a rack that attaches to the hatch instead. According to Car Roofracks UK, the Thule 9104 ClipOn 3 Bike Carrier and the Thule 9106 ClipOn High hatch racks will work with the K13. You can use the Thule dealer locator to find one of the locations in Canada that may be able to order one for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ustauk; 08-17-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    In my opinion, if its just for bikes(and you'll never tow anything heavy) you could get someone to custom build a light duty one for your bike rack... when i eventually get my car i will work on designing a low profile hitch for the same reason(something that's easily removable)

Thanks
    Maybe a roof mount would work. My only concern is that if the wind goes over the bikes the car might turn.. (I Kid)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, all. Sounds like there's no ideal solution, just yet. I fear the cost of custom building a hitch, especially because the main draw of the Micra is that it is cheap!

I think that Canada has enough cyclists that potentially someone will have come out with a rack by next summer, so I can use my horrible hatch-mounted rack until then.

Cheers!

Thanks
    On my last Micra (a 1990 model), I used a cheap hatch mounted rack I bought at Zellers to carry two bikes. It worked fine and the Micra looked great with two bikes strapped on the back.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    How are your fabrication skills? I got a cheap wire feed welder from crappy tire and made a basic receiver (6 attachment points) for my Firefly/Metro.

Suitable for bikes or a light trailer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Welding, little to none(haven't done any in 10 years). although i work with a few ppl who are good welders.
    I'm a machinist so i can make pretty much anything bolt-on
    Still need to have a good look at the car but if it works i could make more!!! On that note, if there are any pieces that somebody need done.. or if i have enough ppl wanting something i could make a production and distribute.(looking to start a business in my field)
    Whats the demand for aftermarket pieces on the micra?

Thanks
    There's really no room back there that I can see. From the passenger side, there's the muffler, then the spare tire, then a black box...and the points at where you could access the body as a mounting point is fairly thin sheet metal. The Micra is definitely a purpose-built machine. I'm an electrician by trade, which requires me to fabricate solutions, and in this case, I honestly think the hatch mounted bike carrier would be money well spent.

Looking at existing Micra trailer hitches, they all seem to have arms that extend past the rear wheel stabilizer and mount to the unibody frame under the passenger compartment. Perhaps retrofitting an existing Micra trailer hitch from a previous generation Micra would be the way to go if you're insistent on having a trailer hitch.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    One member has found a receiver/hitch:

Check Jimicra68's garage page: http://micra-forum.com/showthread.ph...arage-entry%29

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...