Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior underdash lighting

Thanks

Interior underdash lighting

I am thinking about putting some led lights under the dash. Just wondering if any one has done this before and has experience doing it.

Thanks
    I haven't checked the fuses yet, but you'll want to find out if anything is shared with the lights. Pull the fuse that controls the lights and see what else doesn't work. I'd connect an ammeter in-line with the circuit and turn everything on to see what the total current draw is. You don't want to load the circuit to more than 80% of the rated capacity of the fuse, so if you had a 10 amp fuse, you'd load to 8 amps. If your calculated or measured load works out to, say, 4 amps, that leaves you 4 amps left over for under dash lighting, which you could simply tie in parallel to the interior lighting.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well thanks but i really dont want to be screwing around with the wiring of the the lights so i think i am going to hook it up right to the battery with an in line fuse but thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Thats probably not a great idea either unless you were wiring to a switch.. Otherwise your battery would drain out pretty quick..

What I would suggest is this, negative on your lights, one of these puppies to one of the powered circuits when your key is on.

No cutting or splicing wires, fuse protection. No need to run new wires through the firewall, golden for a few bucks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (07-21-2014)

Thanks
    I havent seen those yet i was running a wire from the battery to a inline fuse to the strip lighting controller. Where do you those fuses?

Thanks
    Most automotive repair shops have them. Just print off a pic. The exact name of them varies from shop to shop but I believe they are called A dual fuse tap.. I believe the tech name is ATM Dual Fuse Tap.

When I do radio installs in vehicles I prefer these because they offer a no splice way of tapping into the vehicle that is easily removed. These also protect the circuit you are making in addition to the original circuit. Depending on the draw of the strip lighting, that will indicate what fuse to use. Just plug the original fuse in the slot closest to the pins. They come in a multitude of amperages and guages of wire for whatever the need is. Then all you have to do is find a ground under the dash for your lights. Turn the key (assuming you patch into a 'hot when on' circuit) blammo! No ugly switch, lights come on when car comes on, shuts off when not. And no ugly patches in the engine bay.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So you installed this mod, Banjo?

Can you provide more details/pics?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey, I just recently did the under dash lighting!! Turned out great!Name:  1479761590211-132600176.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  93.4 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yomammaglitches For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-23-2016)

Thanks
    so what activates the switch, is it opening the door or turning on the car? and does it turn off while driving?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    so what activates the switch, is it opening the door or turning on the car? and does it turn off while driving?
    Well I used a "fuse tap" to add an additional fuse dedicated to the lights. The fuse tap wire goes to a junction of wires with a switch you can turn them on an off if the car is turned on or with accessories running. I could send you pictures if you'd like on the process and walk you through it.