Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Micra SR automatic week long test drive: Darin's notes & impressions

Thanks

automatic transmission observations

Name:  stable-front-3-4-660.jpg
Views: 7799
Size:  52.3 KB

The Micra's automatic is a conventional 4-speed with torque converter, but beyond that the owner's manual has precious little to say about it.

Here's what I can say about it:

• Smooth upshifts: it's remarkably seamless under light to moderate acceleration.

• As far as I can tell, it locks the torque converter in both 3rd and 4th gears ( a fuel-saving feature). In 1st and 2nd gears the engine will rev freely when you press the accelerator regardless of road speed, but in 3rd and 4th under light/moderate load, the torque converter locks and changes in engine RPM are tied directly to road speed, just like a manual transmission.

• Upshifts/lockup under light to moderate acceleration happen at roughly:
      19, 35, 41 & 59 km/h .... (12, 22, 26, 37 mph) ... when the engine is warm.

• The car's most efficient cruising speed on the level is just after the torque converter locks in 4th gear (at ~59 km/h). Once it locks, you can drift down as low as ~55 km/h before it unlocks again, provided you don't prod the accelerator and kick it out early.

• Deceleration fuel cut-off: the car has pretty aggressive DFCO, another fuel-saving feature. When you lift off the accelerator in either 3rd & 4th gear, fuel injection stops. You're using zero fuel while the momentum of the car continues turning the engine through the transmission's connection to the drive wheels. The car will stay in fuel cut-off mode as it decelerates through a 4th to 3rd downshift. Once the torque converter unlocks in 3rd gear, RPM drops noticeably down to hover around 1200 and fuel injection resumes while you continue to decelerate.

The small downside to aggressive DFCO is it can make for slightly herky-jerky driving if your throttle input is hovering right around the DFCO threshold.

• Speed vs. RPM in top gear w/ locked torque converter...

I'll graph this later...

Speed (km/h, indicated) RPM (from OBD-II -- reads slightly lower than the dashboard tach)
      50 1662
      60 1450
      70 1687
      80 1925
      90 2150
      100 2425
      110 2662
      120 2972

• Overdrive button: you can downshift from 4th and hold 3rd by switching overdrive OFF (for engine braking).

• Shift lock release: if you have a dead battery, you can override the electronic shift lock (e.g. to get the trans into Neutral to push the car) by prying up the little cover, then pressing the shift lock button while shifting out of Park.

I'd still rather be driving a manual!

It's frustrating to be held captive at a higher engine RPM than needed. Plus, the manual Micra's shifter and clutch were light & pleasant enough to use that I wouldn't mind it at all even in city traffic. If I can't shift my own gears, give me a CVT that varies the gear ratio based on immediate conditions.

I understand Nissan's desire to cut costs (the official reason for no CVT), but two of its closest competitors are now using Nissan/JATCO-sourced CVT's for improved fuel economy (Spark & Mirage). So while Micra owners with the 4-speed automatics are saving a few dollars up front, they're spending more on fuel in the long run.

Many car reviewers would whine about a CVT. Let them whine! Most car buyers don't care what car reviewers whine about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I hear you. My current daily driver is an automatic Sunfire, and I'm not a big fan of automatics either. I've almost always driven a manual transmission and I miss the additional control they offer. On the upside, I have learned a lot about automatic transmissions due to owning one though (I read up on everything I own).

Thanks
    I'd bet the automatic has zero maintenance costs. A manual will eventually need a new clutch, and I believe CVT's require maintenance as well. My last Micra was a 3 speed automatic, I never even changed the transmission fluid, and it worked fine when I sold it with over 200,000km on it.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Zero maintenance costs on a used one, sure!

I'm sure there are fluid & filter changes in the service manual though... and if you want to keep the warranty...

Clutch life depends a lot on driving style & how the car is used (hwy vs. stop & go commuting). I've only ever changed one clutch in my life, and it only burned out due to corrosion on the clutch lever arm that physically prevented the clutch from fully engaging. (As if you were riding the clutch pedal.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The official service and maintenance guide only calls for an inspection of the automatic transmission fluid at regular intervals, never says anything about replacement or service. The same guide calls for CVT fluid replacement every 96,000km.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-16-2014)

Thanks
    Aha! Interesting. Tim was just saying yesterday we should see if we can get a service schedule for reference.

...another photo!

Name:  graffiti-front-660.jpg
Views: 7441
Size:  47.2 KB

Thanks
    It doesn't surprise me that the automatic wouldn't need any maintenance with regular driving. It's old tech that the Japanese perfected long ago. If the goal is a vehicle with low maintenance costs, it's a sensible choice.

Thanks
    Looking at total cost of ownership, a CVT could still come out ahead because it would eclipse even the manual's fuel economy in the hands of most drivers. Anyway, it's all moot since it's not offered.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Aha! Interesting. Tim was just saying yesterday we should see if we can get a service schedule for reference.
    Funny I questioned my post about transmission service interval ... In the book only talks about if you are towing .... Anyone finds out please let me know ... I want to do the service so that it doesn't void warranty ..

Thanks

The Micra hauls...

Name:  bark-jones-farm.jpg
Views: 29160
Size:  62.4 KB

Who needs a pickup truck!?

That looks like a tree trunk sticking out of the Micra, but it's actually just bark -- birch bark to make a canoe. It's lighter than it looks, too, at around 40 lbs. It's lashed to an aluminum ladder which is secured very solidly to the cargo area with ratchet straps cinched down on the handy child seat anchors. I'll post a separate thread on doing that.

Name:  cargo-2-up.jpg
Views: 3816
Size:  36.9 KB

Cargo Van Micra

The Euro Micra gets a "fold & flip" rear seat to make the most of the car's hauling ability... with the seats in.

Unfortunately, our seat backs only fold down (and not flat); they don't also flip forward.

I've owned plenty of small hatchbacks, and have removed the rear seats of every one of them at some point to make the most of the interior volume for moving stuff. The Micra's rear seat is relatively easy to take out to transform the car into a mini cargo van. I'll post a separate thread on how to do that, too.

UPDATE: rear seat removal thread posted -- DIY: Turning your Micra into a micro cargo van... rear seat removal