Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why a conventional 4-speed automatic in the 2015 Micra instead of a CVT?

Thanks
    I am glad that our Micras DO NOT have a CVT. If they did I would not have bought one.

I bought my 2008 Rogue SL AWD expecting the same reliability as my 95 Altima (380,000km sold), 98 Maxima (375,000km accident and written off) and 2003 Sentra (1,000,000+ km before engine and tranny died). The Altima and Sentra were both 5 speed manuals and the Maxima was an automatic. I foolishly expected the same level of durability and reliability out of my Rogue. Unfortunately the Rogue only lasted 273,000 km of highway driving (Scarborough to Oakville commute) before the CVT belt disintegrated while travelling on highway 404 just after rush hour at 100km/h. I barely had enough time to flip my hazards on and drive the car to the shoulder and was nearly hit by a fully loaded container truck.

The way the transmission failed was very disturbing. One second I'm cruising along at 100km/h and the next there was no power. No warning lights, no difference in the transmission or engine sound etc. The engine was able to rev but there was absolutely no power to the wheels. $4500 later I managed to get my car back on the road. Nissan also only warranties the replacement transmissions for 20,000km as opposed to the original 100,000km that they then extended to 200,000km. I am glad I do not own the Rogue anymore.

The problem with Nissan CVTs (manufactured by Jatco) is that they can fail randomly and often without any warning. A friend had his 2009 Rogue SL AWD model fail at 106,000km and there are many reports in the US of CVT equipped Nissans failing anywhere from 16,000 miles to higher mileage like mine.

Yes CVTs can be more fuel efficient (provided the driver allows it to work instead of flooring the pedal) and when they work properly they are very smooth especially at highway speeds. But with the way my Rogue's CVT died I would never buy another CVT equipped Nissan car again especially with the way Nissan Canada Corporate treats their customers. Unfortunately when their Senior VP of Customer Relations, Bill McLullen is the type of guy that says he will "personally" look into a matter only to then have a lackey call the customer back, well let's just say it doesn't paint a very inspiring picture for customer relations and their priority towards it.

Thanks
    I would expect the Note & Micra CVT (Micra gets it in other markets) is more reliable than they used to be. The Jatco CVT-7 model was designed relatively recently (~3 years) and is in use globally in many of Micra's competitors as well, including the Spark and Mirage.

Still, I'd be leery.

Also:

2003 Sentra (1,000,000+ km before engine and tranny died).
    Wow! That's amazing. If you feel like it, please tell us about your Sentra:

Thread: Have you ever owned/driven an OLD Micra? Other Nissans?

Also... welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow, you really pack on the miles! It'll be quite interesting to see how your Micra holds up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I would expect the Note & Micra CVT (Micra gets it in other markets) is more reliable than they used to be. The Jatco CVT-7 model was designed relatively recently (~3 years) and is in use globally in many of Micra's competitors as well, including the Spark and Mirage.

Still, I'd be leery.

Also:

Wow! That's amazing. If you feel like it, please tell us about your Sentra:

Thread: Have you ever owned/driven an OLD Micra? Other Nissans?

Also... welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking on here for the last month or so.

I have to admit though that I did like my Rogue very much pre CVT problems. But after the response I got from Nissan Canada I almost didn't buy another Nissan.

I had the Sentra for about a year and a half and put 70,000km on it then gave it to my Uncle who worked as a courier for a medical lab that did a daily commute from Toronto > Mississauga > Ottawa > Mississauga > Toronto. That car kept on ticking until it finally died. The odometer read 999,999km and wouldn't roll over. I think my Uncle finally estimated along the lines of 1,200,000 km give or take before it finally died. I am sure there were a few clutch disc replacements in there but nothing beyond normal wear and tear.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Wow, you really pack on the miles! It'll be quite interesting to see how your Micra holds up.
    I no longer do the 130km commute from Scarborough to Oakville, it is now a shorter 80km commute from East York to Vaughan and back. I did manage to put 2400 km on the Micra so far (I've had it since December 12th 2014).

This time around I did not buy the Extended warranty offered by Nissan as I had on all my previous cars. I figured that I never once had a warranty claim on any of my previous cars and the Rogue only developed problems once the warranty had expired.