Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What gas do you buy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mercenary View Post
    I was surprised to find no difference in fuel mileage between the cheap ethanol based Husky 87 or Shell 87 vs Chevron 94 octane.

I read on one of the many threads, that someone got a lot more mileage running on high octane gas. So I ran a few tanks of 94 octane at high, high prices and was surprised to find literally no difference in mileage or performance. In the end, it is a "fuel good thing" (pardon the pun). My Micra has 26,000km on it. I'll try again when I have 100K and see if there is any reportable difference.
    but did you try shell m91 with no ethanol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    supreme does NOTHING in the micra besides lighten your wallet faster....The comments on "crap gas" are people who have no knowledge of gasoline and its workings. USE REGULAR.

In the micra, Regular gas makes more power, burns hotter, cleaner and gets you the best milage you will get from it. If anyone says otherwise, they are 1. uninformed or 2. Lying.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojack For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (05-09-2019),Pete (06-09-2017)

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    87 octane works fine for us, thanks.
    Nice!

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    supreme does NOTHING in the micra besides lighten your wallet faster....The comments on "crap gas" are people who have no knowledge of gasoline and its workings. USE REGULAR.

In the micra, Regular gas makes more power, burns hotter, cleaner and gets you the best milage you will get from it. If anyone says otherwise, they are 1. uninformed or 2. Lying.
    Agreed. Further confirmation Of What Kojack Says
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyMicTim View Post
    Agreed. Further confirmation Of What Kojack Says
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU
    Further to this and interestingly, the Nissan Manual says you can use regular gas with no more than 15% ethanol content. In Canada there is a legal requirement that gasoline have ethanol added to it. Regular gasoline has the highest ethanol content, usually 15%. Only premium gas does not contain ethanol, at least Shell and Co-op premium gas. The jury seems to be out on whether ethanol even in small amounts is good for your car and won't lead to long term fuel system damage. Tlhat is difficult to prove as you would have to have two identical vehicles driven the same mileage over very high mileage, with on using premium gas only and the other regular to see if there is any fuel system damage that could only be explained through use of regular gas. I guess you roll the dice, and I don't know if that uncertainty justifies paying extra for premium, especially considering the increasing gas prices. If there is damage to the fuel system from use of regular, what you pay to get that fixed if not covered under warranty may still be less than all the extra money you put out for premium gas.

Thanks
    I use to use Shell (regular) only when I was in Canada. In Mexico Pemex is the only brand available as of about a year ago, now we have BP, and Shell. I now use BP since it is available in the village.
    https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/bp-...ons-next-year/
    https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/ref...-gas-stations/

Name:  bp.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  59.9 KB
    Last edited by Ajijic; 06-16-2019 at 10:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (05-09-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyMicTim View Post
    Further to this and interestingly, the Nissan Manual says you can use regular gas with no more than 15% ethanol content. In Canada there is a legal requirement that gasoline have ethanol added to it. Regular gasoline has the highest ethanol content, usually 15%. Only premium gas does not contain ethanol, at least Shell and Co-op premium gas. The jury seems to be out on whether ethanol even in small amounts is good for your car and won't lead to long term fuel system damage. Tlhat is difficult to prove as you would have to have two identical vehicles driven the same mileage over very high mileage, with on using premium gas only and the other regular to see if there is any fuel system damage that could only be explained through use of regular gas. I guess you roll the dice, and I don't know if that uncertainty justifies paying extra for premium, especially considering the increasing gas prices. If there is damage to the fuel system from use of regular, what you pay to get that fixed if not covered under warranty may still be less than all the extra money you put out for premium gas.
    Further to this I had an interesting discussion with a top Nissan Tech that I know. He told me even though the manual states that you can use Gas with 15% ethanol, he strongly advises against it. He suggests paying extra for premium with no ethanol. He stated that ethanol even in those small amounts is extremely damaging to the vehicle not just fuel system. He told me that he has seen the damage first hand on cars he has worked on and these were not just very old cars. He saw damage first hand in new cars that he strongly believes was related to the ethanol in the gas.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyMicTim For This Useful Post:

tomcj2 (06-16-2019)

Thanks
    I buy the cheapest thing I can find for my Versa, well not only the Versa but all my cars. Normally it's either Murphy's from Walmart or Marathon that's the cheapest here in KY (USA) where I live. I filled up with Murphy's in the Versa yesterday for $1.739/gal. Been driving for about 44 years, have always bought the cheapest gas available and can't remember but one time having a problem. I had a tank I guess about 15-20 years ago that had a little water in it. Ran that tank nearly dry refilled the tank and no more problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Versa SV automatic: 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.3 mpg (Imp) ... 21.4 km/L ... 50.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Excellent thread. Its like an oil thread. I am glad everyone does whatever they want. Freedom. So I use ethanol free anytime I can. Ethanol is corrosive and can do harm to fuel system components and emissions components can run at a higher temperature. So I burn premium from either Shell, Esso, or Mobil. You usually get a bit better mileage as well on premium so that offsets the cost a bit. I never fill at a third party like Domo.
    EPA admits its harmful: https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...engine-damage/ and http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2014/04/22/...d-atv-engines/ or
    https://blog.bikernet.com/epa-finall...mental-damage/

Thanks
    I always use regular gas (87) mostly from Petro Canada. Had 3 cars each one driven till fully scraping. 2 cars before micra were driven 420k and 460k. Chevy and Saturn. Never had any problems with engine. From engine side only vbelt was changed and water pump replaced and spark plugs. Fuel systems intact. Scrapped because of fuel system line corrosion at milages mentioned above. From emission side replaced 2 times evap valve. Its very hard to tell if fuel lines and evap valve problem was because of e5-e-10 gas or from not washing underneath the car properly from salt because of corrosion at both outer side and inner side of the line was seen.

In my case im using 1 tank of gas in 3 days. So gas is always fresh inside.

Ethanol itself is not corrosive if kept in vacuum. Only with presense of air + humidity/ water its starting to become corrosive. Ethanol is better water absorbant per mass than pure gas without ethanol. So with e10 gas there is no need to worry about adding additives to deal with water in the tank if you are using tank of gas faster(like in my case). Water is being absorbed by ethanol in the gas and becomes burnable. So there are benefits from using oxygenated gas too.