Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What gas do you buy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Crappy Tire, for the points!

I also buy premium because it's ethanol-free (= slightly higher energy density = slightly better fuel economy). Probably doesn't offset the added cost, though. I don't worry about the extra expense because I only buy gas about 4 times a year. (Don't drive a lot.)
    whats your odo? mine just hit 5000....and i have had it for almost a year. I barely drive, as im fortunate my new commute is so nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob21138 View Post
    I buy the lowest grade pioneer gas in canada and does well for my car
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hideous View Post
    I actually ran a tank of premium 91 octane Esso gas through my micra from dead-ass empty, and found that in comparison to regular 87 octane esso gas, (from the same station), I managed a whopping 12 km more before the low fuel flasher came on. So really there is no difference. I put premium in regularly because I feel like it's a better fuel to use. The price difference is negligible considering I waste way more money on way more useless crap. lol
    with newer cars, it's recommended to fuel w/ whatever the manual says. otherwise you're basically wasting money.

Thanks
    The Esso near my house has had a deal on since the fall that if you buy 25 litres the touchless car was is $2.99. So for thirty five bucks I have been filling the Micra and getting the wash ticket. On days when it is raining or snowing I have been just throwing the wash ticket in the glove box. Considering a fill up last me two days I have lots of tickets for washing it over the spring summer. With the low CR of the micra using high octane fuel is doing nothing but lining some ones pockets. For all of my toys it's either Sunoco 94 (now petro canada),Shell v-power or race gas.
    Last edited by Pete; 04-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Im gunna chime in here.

Shell v power 91 contains no ethanol. It also contain over 92% straight gas. The rest is cleaners and aromatics like toluene.

All or most of the additives in vpower have equal or more btus and octane values then the gasoline.

Just about all other gas contains some percentage ( 5-20%) ethanol... Which contains less btus and energy..

In fact it takes 1.5 ltrs of ethanol to equal the same energy as gasoline. ..
    Now that being said if the engine and ecu is tuned and designed for e10 87 aki (base) gas then thats all you need and nothing more.
    The 12km extra is not much but your probably running "rich and retard" and 20,000km a year means 40 fill up ( est.) which is 480km or a free tank of gas per year.

And a sparkling clean engine... Plus if your modded it probably doesnt hurt the one horse power gain..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Just found some more info.
    In our manuals it says the maxium ethanol allowed is 10%
    And the minimum aki is 87 ..

So it prefers to have zero ethanol ( shell ) and probably wouldnt hurt to use 89.

But, do you know what the jukes with hr16de engines with 10.7:1 cr
    Are running ... Minimum 95 ron

92 RON = 87-88 AKI
    95 RON = 90-91 AKI
    98 RON = 93-94 AKI

I bet the diiference is tuning headgasket and exhaust manifold 109>117
    Then again, they could have programmed all ecus the same.. Im gunna talk to some aussies..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I always use Top Tier gas . You can look them on google toptiergas.com and they tell you Why it is a better quality gasoline . I think Shell,Esso and Petro are toptier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimicra68 View Post
    I always use Top Tier gas . You can look them on google toptiergas.com and they tell you Why it is a better quality gasoline . I think Shell,Esso and Petro are toptier.
    Yes but pay attention to the ethanol content.
    Esso, petro, ultramar, husky, costco, walmart all use ethanol.

Some even higher then 15% i think the highest in canada is e20

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Pete (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    So Petro Canada's ultra 94 has ethanol? Shell V-Power doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So Petro Canada's ultra 94 has ethanol? Shell V-Power doesn't?
    Does Ultra 94 contain ethanol? Does Petro-Canada still offer an ethanol-free gasoline?
    Ultra 94 contains ethanol. Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.
    http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/ind...ee%20gasoline?
    10% ( rumored more to make 91 up to 94 )

http://import-era.com/threads/shell-v-power-msds.520/
    (0%)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Pete (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    I buy what ever is cheaper.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dani3d For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (07-06-2015)

Afaik... Shell meets the 15% requirement by 10% in 87 and 5% in 89 because there is 0 in 91 and its mixed 50:50
    Petro is 10% across the board . 87-10% 89-via 50:50, 91 -10%, 94 - rumored e20
    Sunoco 94 was 15% so its not unfathomable.
    Afaik shell 91 is the only gas ( in ontario at least, besides racegas)
    With 0% ethanol.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Pete (07-05-2015)