Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What gas do you buy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by en3rg1e View Post
    What is your take on shells nitrogen enriched?
    Typical meaningless marketing fluff.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yea...that's why I steer clear from shell

Thanks
    What is your take on shells nitrogen enriched? I hear its just a filler, does hardly anything to "clean deposits"
    Don't know about the nitrogen, or any other additives for that matter lol...but a lot of guys like Shell's ''V-Power'' premium because it does not have ethanol. I don't have a problem with ethanol (I use Sunoco 94 when ''needed'') but perhaps I'm just blissfully ignorant
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I don't mean to make too big a deal about ethanol (unless in older machines that have plastic/rubber parts that can be degraded by it). The reduction in energy density is very small -- not enough of a difference to show up in fuel economy under everyday conditions.

This may be old info (2010), but Petro Can told me this via email:

At Petro-Canada branded gas stations, not selling Ultra 94, the Premium 91 Octane gasoline does not contain ethanol. This is for stations up to the Muskoka area and from Windsor to Belleville..
    In Northern Ontario, North Bay, Sudbury, S.S. Marie, Timmins, Thunder Bay areas and in Eastern Ontario for the Ottawa areas, including Pembroke, Cornwall and Brockville, both Regular and Premium gasoline currently do not contain any Ethanol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yes, you have to be careful if you want to avoid putting the corn in your tank, because if your PetroCan't station does sell Ultra 94 they use that to blend the 91 octane grade at the pump.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Whatever the owner's manual reccomends. Well thats the bronze stuff for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I buy the lowest grade pioneer gas in canada and does well for my car

Thanks
    I actually ran a tank of premium 91 octane Esso gas through my micra from dead-ass empty, and found that in comparison to regular 87 octane esso gas, (from the same station), I managed a whopping 12 km more before the low fuel flasher came on. So really there is no difference. I put premium in regularly because I feel like it's a better fuel to use. The price difference is negligible considering I waste way more money on way more useless crap. lol

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I usually buy Shell V-Power.

Thanks
    What is your take on shells nitrogen enriched? I hear its just a filler, does hardly anything to "clean deposits"
    Hum good question. I know I hate ethanol as it contains more oxygen molecules, meaning quicker burn and therefore less mileage. I'd have to look at the gas composition and read on the burn rate. It's less compressible, I wonder if at high temperature (read summer) it would yield higher MPGs than non-enriched gas.

I recall writing somewhere on the subject of the OP. Are there stations that sell 89 octane, or even less probable, 87 octane that has no ethanol now?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...