Thread: Caveat Emptor...My latest servicing costs......ouch!....and my email to the dealer.

Thanks

Caveat Emptor...My latest servicing costs......ouch!....and my email to the dealer.

To the owner/operator of Abbotsford Nissan; I have just recently serviced my 2019 Nissan Micra at your dealership. I have serviced my vehicle exclusively at Abbotsford Nissan since I purchased it near new at another another(not Nissan) car dealership in the Fraser Valley in Jan 2021. It has been an extremely reliable vehicle, and I have always been impressed with the courtesy, efficiency, and professionalism of the staff, I thought it important to have it serviced at a bona fide Nissan dealership if any warranty issues were to arise.

My last oil and filter servicing prior to this one was approximately eight months ago. At that time, the cost for said servicing was $89.99, with taxes and other fees included bringing the total to $105.10

The new cost for the exact same servicing is now. $140.33 ...all in. This is an increase of over 30%. Everyone understands everything has gone up in price.....but a 33% increase in the price of servicing my vehicle is simply gouging. I would have said a 10% increase would have been fair, given that everything has gone up. But 33% is beyond the pale. Now this price did include a wash and vacuum, which was appreciated, but that was included in the price many times before since I have been taking the vehicle to Abbotsford Nissan for servicing.

When I was quoted the figure of $119.99 for an oil change, I should have just walked....but out of loyalty to the dealership, and not wanting a mechanic to lose out. I stayed, But you have lost me as a customer for any and all future servicing and parts.

I know the cost of everything has gone up, but I suspect these increases were not only due to inflation, but also the dealerships need to pay for the recent renovations.

In future, I will shop around for servicing at other Nissan dealerships. or as the vehicle is off warranty.......my local garages

Sincerely,

Mission, BC

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.6 L/100 km ... 33.0 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    its pretty easy to do it yourself, literally you do not need to jack up the car, ive ALWAYS done it myself, the filter is right in front down the bottom, with the right tools, its probably possible to do it all from above through the hood, its still 40 bucks for oil and 10 or so for the filter, roughly
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (05-02-2024)

Thanks
    Yes.....I think I'm capable, but then I think back to attempting to change the oil in my 1965 Vauxhall Viva as a young teen. I ended up stripping the drain plug, and a mechanic had to do it in the end anyways......lol. Its certainly one way to save some money, fairly easily, so I may give it a go. An oil change around here is between eighty and hundred bucks at an independent garage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.6 L/100 km ... 33.0 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    get the right tools...torque wrench for drain plug,oil filter removal wrench,i have 90 percent the right tools,but if you literally though it all through and bought EXACTLY the right tools, it should be doable by just about anyone who knows righly tighty, lefty loosy
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (05-02-2024)

Thanks
    So no ramming a screwdriver through the oil filter to act as a wrench to remove the oil filter eh?.....Ive seen that done.....lol......Interesting I just received an email from the service manager of the dealership saying that the price for a oil and filter change was fixed by Nissan, so they are not allowed to advertise for less, but that they would be happy to offer me a discount for future servicing. Which I though was decent of them. The complex stuff I'll leave to them or another garage, but I think its time for me to man up and learn to do my own oil changes.....I was going to do my own air filter next(that I know Im capable of....lol) so changing my oil and filter will be the next step.....The extra money saved is as good in my pocket as theirs..... Thanks for the encouragement.....

Thanks
    i used to like the type that fits on the hex of the oil filter,but i find recently it seems to slip....yes, i am probably putting the filter on too tight.....and yes i probably paid 4 dollars for the wrench...so you can guess the quality..so i got a small band clamp wrench that seems to work, its a bit cramped down there, but ive worked on WAYY worse. honda used to put them on the back of the engine which is a PITA. the beauty of changing your own oil is you can see the wear, I always swill the drain pan around like a goldpan to see the heavy stuff, if you START to see accelerated wear or flakes....its selling time!!!! and you know early enough the engine will probably last long enough for the next person,plus i had the (not nissan) dealership leave the drain plug LOOSE on my parents car, luckily i caught it the first drive because they screwed up the break job too!!
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 05-03-2024 at 07:05 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (05-04-2024)

Thanks
    Honestly you only really need 3 tools to get the oil done on these cars. A wrench/socket set for the plug, a tool to get the oil filter off (I use oil filter pliers), and something to catch the oil in.

Looking around, I see:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/8-1-...t/PA0008895195 Sale ends today
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/1-3-...t/PA0009075961 I got something similar at CT on sale
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/5-pc...t/PA0009187899 I'd rather use a good socket set, but these'll do in a pinch.

edit:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/12-p...t/PA0009148396 This might be nicer than the wrenches. Also comes with a nifty toolbox/case

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Aaron GE For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (05-05-2024)

Thanks
    the tiny 3/8 drive ft pound torque wrench for the drain plug, i have a small beam type and if you dont jack up the car with only 4 option placements (2 really )its almost impossible. a racheting one would be nice......17 ft lbs is what i use if memory serves (its written on the wrench). also its marked on the BACK of the beam type wrench because your looking at the back from the front of the car.....small racheting click type would be ideal. maybe even smaller 1/4 drive would be more appropriate

Last edited by MrMicra2015; 05-05-2024 at 10:59 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build