Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Micra Oil Change (easy DIY / How to / oil filter part numbers)

Thanks
    Just did the second oil change on our Micra...first one was done at the dealer at just over 8k. I did the second one myself at just over 16k.

Probably the easiest and least messy oil change on any car I've owned. And with the oil and filter being on sale I think it cost about $14

Still loving our Micra.

Thanks
    I typically changed my oil every 5000 km, and used full synthetic (Royal Purple was my preference). But then again, I used to drive a 5.7L Hemi powered Dodge Challenger.

What I like with changing at every 5000 km (or 6 months if for some strange reason I still didn't drive 5000 clicks by that time), is you get a new washer, the plug is regularly used, a new filter, and flushing the debris frequently.

Since the engine does not run hot, I'm thinking of using the mineral oil again every 5000 km.

Anyone here using filtermag? I was using on my Hemi a magnetic oil drain plug, and a filtermag to trap the engine metal debris in the filter. I won't race the Micra, is there any real advantage in using these?

K&N has a permanent, washable filter. I might want to do my own oil change and use my favorite brand. The K&N washable one has magnets inside.

Any recommended maintenance on the tranny and engine oil, in terms of frequency, flush, additives (do and/or don'ts). I keep on getting mixed signals on the transmission oil replacement and treatment. They can glaze, and if they do, it's best not to change the oil.

Cheers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I went to the dealer this week for the snow through the vent issue and chatted with the service manager there. Funny enough, he was encouraging me to do the oil changes every 8000-10000 km on this car with mineral oil. I was surprised he was not saying that my 5000 km mark was better. He claimed the engine oils were now good for 12k - 15k kms, and 8k was just to be safe.

I still prefer more frequently and get a new filter, while moving the oil drain plug and new washer. It gives you the chance to observe more frequently the underbody and engine oil, which could indicate more serious engine issues.

Not to kick this dead horse.... to death. Anyone thinks it's really an overkill to do it every 5000 km?
    Any benefit to use "premium" filters such as FRAM?
    Dealer here is offering them at $40. How much do your dealer offer oil change at (out of curiosity). I was surprised how competitive they were.
    Last edited by lbarouf; 02-13-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typos

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It's not a dead horse man and don't be afraid to kick it. Change the oil often and your engine will thank you. I don't bother with premium oils or filters (but Fram happens to be cheaper than house brand at my Canadian Tire)

You might be safe with higher Km oil change intervals if you use premium oils/filters and don't drive too many ultra short trips...but it's so cheap and easy to do it often, especially on the Micra, and like you said...it gives you an opportunity to eyeball everything while you're at it.

If you not planning on keeping the car long term, by all means don't bother with frequent oil changes as it will be the next guys problem. except for any bad Karma that accrues in your favour.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I don't see any need to change more often then the dealer recommends. Mind you ours is a lease so we'll be giving it back after 3 years but even if we bought it I'd still stick with 8k. Although I would probably switch to synthetic:P

I run Quakerstate oil and filters. Cheap when on sale at CT.

Thanks
    I do exactly the opposite as pretty much all of my k's are highway. I use castrol full synthetic from Costco and get a Nissan filter from a dealership. Which brings me to my next point... it seems not all dealers are the same when it comes to buying parts. I bought the car at trans canada in Peterborough and have not been back only because of logistics. I have been going to Boyer in Belleville and they have been ok but this weekend I went to willowdale I think it was just off younge st. and what a great place! They sold me the longer Nissan filter for the suvs and such which appears to have the same sized end. They put a little brass washer in the filter box at no charge and asked me about the car. It was cheaper than the short filter as well. I had to buy the washers in Belleville. Because I do so much highway I wait till it gets close to 8000k before I change it but U don't wait long as I am allready at 23500k.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hyedegha View Post
    Aftica also trying to get my hands on repair manual for this vehicle. if anyone has any leads please let me know ..thank you.
    One thing I noticed on my basic radio (cd and mp3 player with aux in) you can see bluetooth logo and the telephone ...so do they use the same deck for bluetooth handsfree ? does that mean I just need to find the module that would fit? also if that is the case maybe back of the deck has usb input for extension cable? just putting the info out there (hint wink wink)??

Here's the manual you were looking for:

http://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nis...ssan-Micra.pdf

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Hideous For This Useful Post:

krssctt (03-03-2015),lbarouf (03-03-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hideous View Post
    Here's the manual you were looking for:

http://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nis...ssan-Micra.pdf
    Thanks Mike. So Nissan finally posted it. 'Bout time.

Thanks
    Thanks to Aftica for the post on changing the oil. I did my Micra today and learned a few things on the way. First of all you will need an oil filter wrench that actually fits these tiny filters. After today I probably won't need the wrench but the factory install was a bugger to get loose and I didn't have the correct size strap wrench to start with. Hand tight for me on the new filter install. Next, I went to the dealer to purchase a genuine recommended parts only Nissan filter and crush washer. This dealer only uses copper washers and the sales employee tells me the filter is made in Mexico by none other than Fram. The internet really beats up on Fram filters but I bought it & will seek a different filter on my next oil change. The last thing I learned is once you slide under the front bumper you may find your nose won't let you move your head from one side to the next. I managed to scrape a good chunk of skin off the side of mine and draw blood. It's only an oil change, you'd think I had been in a scrap. Anyways all is good, dropped in 5W30 Castrol Synthetic, engine mileage at 947 km and I notice now my engine seems to be much quieter. Thanks again to Aftica.
    Last edited by eddy; 05-28-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Gang, I just performed the second oil change on my Micra and was curious if anyone else noticed what I've noticed. First oil change I put in the recommended 3.5L of oil (with filter changed), but upon checking the dipstick, I noticed the oil was overfilled! I had to drain oil out to get down to the full mark on the dipstick. I also noticed the oil drained out only filled an empty 4L jug just over half way. Doing my oil change today, I started with only adding 2.5L (with new oil filter), and had to add another .5L to bring the dipstick reading to full, so only 3L of oil total with new oil filter! I have an above average knowledge and experience working on cars, and certainly a ton of oil change experience as I worked at a Canadian Tire Pit Stop oil change service centre for over a year while in high school. Someone else must have noticed what I've noticed if they did their own oil change.
    Also, side note about oil filter: I bought my second oil filter from the dealer, and reading other members comments, I asked for the longer filter. The parts guy in Newmarket, ONT said he would sell it to me, but his tone and comments hinted that not using the smaller factory recommended filter could affect my warranty, and he also mentioned that the longer filter that was used on other Nissan vehicles (including trucks) was being replaced by Nissan with smaller filter used on Micra, suggesting the longer filter would eventually not be available.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...