Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Micra speedometer shows faster than it's really going

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Micra speedometer shows faster than it's really going

I did a test today, I compared my Micra's speedometer with that of my GPS. I was surprised to find it off by 5 KPH.

It seems to be less off at lower speeds, and more off at higher speeds.

After that, I decided to reset my trip counter in both the Micra and my GPS at the same time. After the Micra showed 80.4km of travel, the GPS showed 78.06km of travel.

Has anyone else noticed this?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    My Mercury Topaz consistently shows 5 km/h more on the speedometer then on the GPS or neighbourhood speed limit signs with a "Your Speed" display show.

Thanks
    I wondered the same thing in my ''review'' post. My commute to work is off by at least 4km, and I know trucks are blowing by me when I'm at 100Kph (they're limited to 105kph)

This has warranty and claimed mpg implications.

I wonder if the all the computers are set for the larger tire size on SR models?
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    This has warranty and claimed mpg implications.
    As for warranty mileage claims, definitely. My guess is that Nissan could divert those by establishing a "Grace" period that would account for those differences. That is assuming that a Micra would need work under warranty, which I consider unlikely; Micra's are well built machines with a long reputation for reliability. Still, I would argue the point.

As for MPG, Fuelly is still showing that I'm blowing away EPA estimates for highway driving (I'm driving mixed), and that's based on actual fill-ups and odometer readings at those fill-ups, so I doubt anyone would be able to make a claim with regards to that. I wonder if Nissan purposely set the economy estimates low in order to avoid litigation.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post

As for MPG, Fuelly is still showing that I'm blowing away EPA estimates for highway driving (I'm driving mixed), and that's based on actual fill-ups and odometer readings at those fill-ups, so I doubt anyone would be able to make a claim with regards to that. I wonder if Nissan purposely set the economy estimates low in order to avoid litigation.
    Yes, good point. I forgot how low the fuel economy numbers are on the new rating system.

I find it amusing: they are so low, and most people will applaud that we are finally getting ''real world'' ratings... and they would be absolutely right...not realizing, that the new numbers just indicate how most guys are asshats behind the wheel without a clue how badly they are driving. LOL.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Alpha... have you confirmed the odometer is also off?
    I assume the odometer/speedo both get input from the same point, so they're both probably out the same amount.
    Last edited by aftica; 06-12-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    When people spend less on transportation, they have money to spend other ways...
    True, true.

Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    I assume the odometer/speedo both get input from the same point, so they're both probably out the same amount.
    But since the output to the odo/speedo comes from the ECU (no more direct mechanical drive speedo/odo cables), it would be easy to add a correction factor to one or the other. Just curious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    But since the output to the odo/speedo comes from the ECU (no more direct mechanical drive speedo/odo cables), it would be easy to add a correction factor to one or the other. Just curious.
    Ah, I didn't know they could be calibrated separately... anyway, I think they both need some tuning. (trucks are blowing by me and my commute is ''longer''! )
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I guess most cars show a higher speed than when measured with GPS.

Thanks
    Almost every vehicle is always showing 5 KM/H faster than it is going unless it is a certified calibration speedo. (found on enforcement vehicles) It is my belief that automakers do this to prevent excessive speeding by tricking our brains into believing that we are going faster than we are. It's kind of a sneaky way of them "protecting" us. I can go on at length about the number of cars I've observed this on using GPS technology and OBD2 diagnostics technology. It's not broken just designed that way.

Thanks
    Honestly, I don't understand why, in this day and age, we don't have the ability to calibrate our own speedometers. It should be as simple as having a setting in the on-board computer.