Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Micra speedometer shows faster than it's really going

Thanks
    I managed to get a reading today. Found an available OPP officer and he seemed amused by my request, but obliged nonetheless.
    So while my car indicated a steady 100 Km/h, his laser lidar showed 97 km/h.
    The dealer says all the settings are fine according to the manufacturer. So I guess the flaw is by design!

While this sucks, I wonder if there's any tuner out there that would allow tire dimension tuning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    97/100, that is pretty good, especially for a manual Micra. Dealer will not adjust that unless you willing to fork over the dough, unless you have a really good dealer.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    :-/
    What do the others see? 4% + ?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lbarouf For This Useful Post:

Micra Guy (07-08-2017)

Thanks
    My Micra was at the dealer for the past 8 days while they worked with Nissan Canada to determine if the speedometer is off. When I am driving 120 (speedo reading) I am being passed by Honda Civics at a guesstimated speed of 10kph, who show a speedometer reading of 120 (I can see their digital display speedometer from my car). My GPS indicates I am going 110. My phone gps indicates I am going 110.
    The service Manager of the Nissan Dealership said he tested it against an Escalade and there was a clear difference although he insisted we would need to put it on a dyno to be certain (at my expense).
    Nissan Canada called me today and said they have reviewed the car and there is nothing wrong with it. They are closing the case. I insisted that there is a problem as my speedometer is off by approx. 8-9%. "Sorry this case is closed". I asked to speak to a supervisor and the lady said, "Well I guess I can get my supervisor to call you to tell you the exact same thing". Nice Nissan....
    For those of you with a similar problem, please don't let this go. If we call Nissan Canada enough, perhaps they will put the correct tire size on our vehicles which will correct the speedo issue and reduce our RPM at cruising speeds.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MicraMan For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (02-27-2015)

Thanks
    9% off? Wow.
    hmm nice to know.
    I thought the car all came with the same tires? Unless during winter, the dealer put on another winter brand, but they were all delivered by Nissan Canada with the same all season tires coming probably from Mexico with those on. I'd guess a skewed factory setting?

Again, if anyone knows of a software that can tweak the tire size, that would be great. Unless dealers are willing to use their tools to change the tire geometry by the offset in order to get the right measure.

I will call Nissan Canada as well.

Thanks
    I wonder if we could just reposition the needle?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    LOL. I wish it was that simple. The wheel geometry changes percentage, not a fixed amount. 10% off means 200 indicated really is 180, 100 is really 90, 10 is really 9...etc as an example. I don't think anyone wants to be idling at 10 km/h nor have their odometer 10% higher. I believe the fix can only come from a ECU tweak, where the speed/distance calculations is wrong, it's counting too many revs based on wrong geometry or wrong formula (?).

Thanks
    is it any wonder why stealerships have such sad reputations?

thx for your report, micra man

Thanks

OBD-II reading vs. speedometer needle

The car's computer knows how fast it's really going, but it's instructing the speedometer needle to say something different:

Name:  speedo.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  87.9 KB

2015 Micra S manual.

This is the same thing (same speed offset) I saw in the SR automatic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Johnskers (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Now that's interesting. I should be able to see the same using my OBD-II reader as well then.