Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Micra speedometer shows faster than it's really going

Thanks
    Thanks, ijamie.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great detective work ijamie. Hopefully something comes of this and they fix it.

Thanks
    If there are any warranty issues up to 10,000km outside of warranty, they'd better address them or there will be hell to pay...not that I expect any because it is a Micra after all.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Still working with the dealer on this issue. Now the sales manager is involved. Hopefully we will have some action soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra sv manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 40.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.4 km/L ... 34.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Service Manager says that the variance in reporting speed is within regulation from SAE. I have asked for Nissan to provide that information in writing and I have contacted Transport Canada for verification. I will report back with results as soon as I have them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra sv manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 40.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.4 km/L ... 34.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Transport canada wont give you anything.. They dont regulate the accuracy, that would actually be SAE J1226.. Summing it up, speedo is allowed to be 2.5% to 4% (5% depending on the version you read) out with a bias towards high and still be deemed accurate. So if you think about it. If 4% out with a high bias at means when you see 104k/ph, your actually going 100k/ph.

Really, we're whining about a speedo thats 1% out of tolerance. I don't think you'll ever see a fix for this.

This is why on some cars, like p71 you will see "Certified Calibration".

They are usually adjusted yearly for federal cars, as some of the older radar systems use this to determine how fast the cruiser is going to get an accurate speed readout of your speed. (Eg, parked cop vs moving cop)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Howie; 01-20-2015 at 03:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks for the info - came up with the same document so good to know I have the correct one before I passed it on to the Service Manager. I'm pretty sure the speedometer readings displayed by my car are outside of the standard or at the very least right on the edge of what is tolerated - I'm not an Engineer so I can't be sure. It would be nice to have an accurate speedometer, 7% (by the dealer's own measure) discrepancy is a considerable one in my books. A few percent either way to take in to account for corners, different tire manufacturer's tire tread designs and what would be what I could consider acceptable. On the other hand, I've spent a fair amount on replacing the stock rims and tires that came with the car and I have bought winter tires as well for my new Micra - I often wonder if it would have been possible to increase my speedo accuracy with a slightly bigger tire size, as I would have done that without hesitation when I ordered my tires and rims. You would think if this is a common inquiry from Nissan Dealers across Canada, that Nissan Canada would have some documentation to pass on to the customers to help explain their position in regards to speedometer accuracy. I have noticed the speedometer accuracy is an issue for owners of the Versa Note and the Versa in other Nissan model forums - I know that these cars have a number of common parts (one of the reasons I bought this car) so it wouldn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that I had a Nissan Quest for for a number of years and it's speedometer was very accurate at all speeds, all the time -that is what I expected when I bought this Nissan Micra. It don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same quality of build, the same attention to detail and the same standard achieved of that vehicle built 30 years ago in my new Micra. So far I would say the Micra exceeds all of my expectations for the price I paid except this one - which as I said, is surprising to me, to say the least. Hopefully Nissan Canada will make an attempt to increase the accuracy of the speedometer readings in their cars. I am sure it will lead to an increased perception of a reliable, quality, well built small car for the Canadian market, that just so happens to start under 10 grand.

Thanks
    I would think so, reducing the outer diameter or increasing it would bring the speedo back on track I would think. If it reads faster then what its actually going then reducing the tire size would bring it back onto center I think. Maybe changing to a p185/50/r14 would work..

I punched this into the calculator here:

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...#axzz3PPn17Icp

Ahh hell. I cant figure it out.. Im no good with math.. All i know is that when the hub rotates, the computer should think.. "x number of inches traveled". A taller ratio would make it go a little further, and the computer would still think it went the same distance, right?

Maybe nissan had a taller ratio in mind, and a supply deal fell through or something?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ijamie View Post
    On the other hand, I've spent a fair amount on replacing the stock rims and tires that came with the car and I have bought winter tires as well for my new Micra - I often wonder if it would have been possible to increase my speedo accuracy with a slightly bigger tire size, as I would have done that without hesitation when I ordered my tires and rims.
    Yes, a larger diameter tire will bring the speedo more in line with reality. My Micras' speedo is so far out that I would need a pretty tall tire though! On the original tires my Micra would show 60 KPH when the actual (radar) speed was 54 KPH. Kinda ridiculous.
    I installed slightly taller tires (24.25'' compared to stock 23.7'') and it helped somewhat but the speedo is still out quite a bit.

For other reasons I have pretty much abandoned the idea of even taller tires, so I need to bring this up with the dealer, when I get a chance.

Good luck to us all!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ijamie View Post
    Spoke with the dealer who confirmed my Micra is out 7% and the other Micras on the lot are out at least 5%. This will affect your warranty expiration up to 5600 KM too early
    Not necessarily. The speedo and odometer are driven separately by the computer.

From what I've read, manufacturers fudge the speed reading (to ensure you're never actually going faster than the displayed speed), but the odo should be closer to reality. Separate issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...