Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Micra speedometer shows faster than it's really going

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    What they did was drive it alongside another Micra, and found that both Micra's showed the exact same speed and deemed that nothing was wrong.
    That is hilarious.

By law, speedometers are allowed to be off by a certain amount (I forget how much). I suspect that'll be the eventual test if enough owners raise the issue to prompt a dealer to investigate better than that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So I'm getting my snows tomorrow, which brings back the issue: Should I stick with the 60's, or move up to the 65's and save a few bucks?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey man, I would go with the 65's...will help to bring the speedo closer to reality...an issue I will bring up with the dealer as well, when I get a chance. Hopefully they will come around at some point and admit there is a problem.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I'm going to measure some tires on Saturday at a few places.I actually seen some nice 70s at Costco I'd like to measure. Does anyone know where to get spare Steelies for the micra? Is the wheel bolt pattern 4x100?

Thanks
    Well, I ended up getting the 60's. Costco tire shop manager said he refused to put on anything other than what the car came with, because this car wasn't in their system yet so he couldn't check for compatible tire sizes. They were really busy and I heard them telling people it would be two weeks before an appointment could be booked, and there's snow in the forecast for tomorrow. I saw my tires sitting there, but they didn't even have 185/65R15's in stock, and I knew if I wanted to get the Michelin X-ice Xi-3's for that price, it was going to be now or never.

I was really impressed at how quiet they are; normally, snow tires generate a lot of road noise, but these were as quiet as the stock tires, but with noticeably more grip.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I was going to mention that: big shops often will not put on any tire size other than OEM for liability reasons.

The way around it is to bring in just your wheels. Bit of a pain in the butt, but I did that once because I wanted a different size.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Received a private message from a shy (?) member requesting that I bump this thread:

Can you mention the important responsibility we all have of notifying the dealerships of the speed discrepancy of our speedometer? Power in numbers
    Thread bumped.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This is not unsual, infact nearly every car typically over-reports speed.

Speedometers, like any instrument, will never be completely exact, and like most insturments, will tend to wander in precision over time. Car manufacturers, in order to limit liability, typically set them -5% in order to limit the likelihood they'd ever under-report speed.

Keep in mind as well, things like tire size and air pressure can result in variation in speed being reported (as speedometers register tire speed rather than the vehicle's speed on the road, noticeable when tires slip in winter/wet condititions).

Thanks
    My Micra speedo is out about 9% consistently as it gains speed. When the car registers 130 KM/H is really is going 118 KM/H. Tested it against two GPS units and a highway radar sign - they all read the same. I have an appointment with my dealer and I will report back what happens.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra sv manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 40.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.4 km/L ... 34.0 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ijamie For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Spoke with the dealer who confirmed my Micra is out 7% and the other Micras on the lot are out at least 5%. This will affect your warranty expiration up to 5600 KM too early and also affect official fuel consumption readings. My dealer has contacted Nissan technical support for a recommendation of how to fix the problem. The Service department manager said most likely a recall will happen to flash the ECM/PCM and correct the algorithm that calculates speed. I would recommend everyone get to their dealers and press that this defect be corrected immediately. The longer you wait, the more of your warranty gets eaten up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra sv manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 40.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.4 km/L ... 34.0 mpg (US) ...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ijamie For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-07-2015),MetroMPG (01-05-2015),ptbo micra (01-05-2015)