Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rust protection / undercoating

Thanks
    Yup.

I picked up a "spare" 2000 Chevrolet Metro for $1k this summer that lived its life in Montreal (Laval) - just about the worst location for rusty cars.

Metros have long since disappeared from the roads here in Eastern Ontario. I don't remember the last time I saw one in the wild that wasn't mine. Rust killed them all! Because they're light and made of thin metal, and they had a few design flaws that held moisture near critical points (suspension mounts).

But this one is practically mint because it was regularly oiled. The "Achilles heel" problem areas are good enough to eat off. And the owner kept it clean.

16 year-old car in better cosmetic shape than a lot of 6 year old cars.

It's definitely worth doing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Pete (11-13-2016)

Thanks
    Nice find! That truck I mentioned was in Winnipeg. Everything rusted apart just like in Laval...wonderful city BTW.

Thanks
    I was under the impression (maybe wrong) that the prairies were actually not as bad for rust as Ont/Quebec. Because they use more sand/grit than salt -- salt doesn't work when it gets too cold out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Winnipeg doused the road with salt, this instead of plowing them. While not as bad a down east, automobiles sure got rusty in Winnipeg too. Usually Winnipeg was the recipient of rust buckets form down east that were slapped with lipstick to look good to fool you into believing its a great car. I almost got taken on an Mazda. On the ground - really nice, on a hoist, rusted to heck underneath it all.

Thanks
    Should you buy rust-proofing for your car?

The rust protection most commonly recommended by experts is a drip oil spray, with Krown and Rust Check being the leading providers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've had the drip oil spray and never again. Oh it finally stopped dripping onto the plastic sheets I had in the garage after about a month and it looked like every drop I bought was now on the floor. Summer rolled up and the rest that didn't fall out did. So now I use only non drip oil spray and I go to OILGard when they're not so busy or Nation Wide Oil Spray who's product is the same stuff and certainly the same price. Car (Micra) has been on plastic for 2 weeks now and not a single drop of oil. I suggest you do it two years in a row and then start skipping a year. I took my other car in to Nation Wide after having the Micro done and it has been coated with non drip since 2011 and I didn't do it for 2015. They pulled the car in, got under it and came up asking me why I brought it in when the product was everywhere it's supposed be. Told me they're not spraying it this time so go home and drink beer.

My bud bought the (scam) dealership electronic rust module for his brand new Toyota Camry and the car now going on 3 years old has rust appearing on the outer rear fenders. He is some pissed. He's currently doing a followup for dealer rust repair. But he doesn't stop there, he had his $30000 pickup sprayed with some Ziebart tar based stuff 2 years ago and we were changing out his tires this week and the stuff is peeling off. He admits he hasn't gone back for the annual inspections and additional spray for another $100 or more. Live and learn.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Pete (11-13-2016)

Thanks
    Do I need rust-proof if I live in Vancouver? Worst weather is just heavy rain, 2 weeks snow here. I felt like I should replace the crappy Firestone all season tires from the dealership, my front tires slip in heavy rain going uphill

Thanks
    Are there rust proofing businesses in Vancouver? If so I would say wouldn't hurt to at least get a non drip oil spray.

Thanks
    DEFENDS AGAINST MORE THAN JUST RUST

“Although protecting body panels and vehicle frames against rust is important, the best rust inhibiting products also protect electrical areas such as battery terminals, wiring harnesses, switches and plugs from moisture,” he says. “Keeping these areas protected with the right type of product will greatly reduce repair costs and vehicle breakdowns. Lubrication of moving mechanical parts like brake cables, suspension components, and door hinges is another benefit of a good rust inhibitor/lubricant.”

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Rust proofing depends on a few things in my mind. On my 2011 Jetta TDI (yes I have had the emissions "fix"). What is the rust perforation warrantee? On my Jetta its 12 years. Why bother. On the Nissan it is 60 months from the start of the warrantee date. not bad. I would rust check it to get a longer period of rust perforation protection if you plan to keep the car longer than 5 years.